The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

14 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm a Carr fan and even I won't say he's elite. I'm not sure he has the tools to be "elite", as that distinction is (supposed to be) rare and attained over time. Outside of the rare exceptions (Mahomes), very few become truly elite early on imo. The term is thrown around way too often and too early these days. 

That said, I don't think that non-elite QBs are bad, and I put Carr somewhere in the group that hosts Matt Hasselbeck, Carson Palmer, Trent Green, etc. Guys you can win with, who probably should have had at least 1 ring, but were never "elite". It isn't bad company, nor is it a sleight. 

For the most part, teams luck into elite QBs. If you need one to win games, you don't just have a QB problem, you have a team problem. It's why Matt Moore and (insert Patriots backup here) have had success filling in for clear cut top 5 QBs over time- the team was already good, just elevated by their elite QB to absurdity. 

Thank you! I hate the word "elite". To me an "elite" player means his career is headed in a hall of fame direction. That is elite in my eyes. A game changing player who does it consistently year in and year out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He was pressured quite a bit. If we had a balanced gameplan and could run, we would have had more manageable gameplans, which in turn would mean better pockets and more chances for chunk plays. The game was out of reach pretty fast. If we had one of the 2020 WRs right now, I still would have felt like we could come back. But right now the team is too 1 dimensional. It's a "1 possession" team. If we're ever down by more than 10, it's over.

If the they can't run the ball, it's over. Everything is set up by the run in this offense until they have a legit threat at WR.

• Like 1

It was the team's worst game this year. Nobody looked that great other than maybe Crosby and Jacobs trying to make something out of nothing. Can't put this all on Carr. Didn't look good but nobody really did much to help him out. 

Totally different animal of a defense, but Rodgers was trash last night. His ypa was worse than Carr's yesterday. Not comparing the two but just saying that even good offenses can have bad days. It sucks, especially because I spent money on tickets and spent my day in the rain to watch that, but this was probably the attitude adjuster the team needed. Can't tell me the team looked past the Jets and wasn't looking ahead to KC. Carr and Gruden both immediately went to talking about next weeks matchup in their pressers. Not saying we are going to win, but I think and hope they look better next week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Derek Carr is 4-25 against playoff teams.

Carr and the other 52 guys. Could be Carr's fault as you're implying or maybe because in '14, '15, '17, '18 we didn't have good teams and in '14 and '18 had among the leagues worst teams. Carr is certainly no All Pro but he's far from the main reason for the TEAMS record (IMO of course).  

• Like 4