The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

If Gruden wants another QB he'l tell Mayock to accumulate 2020 1sts and use those to move up and get a QB next year. Getting a QB this year sends yet another signal that this team is giving up and players will follow. Gruden will still have EIGHT more years so he DGAF what fans think. The draft will be very telling what Gruden really thinks about this team...Mayock will probably make the picks but Gruden will tell him the 'plan' and to get the best value for that plan...

18th in deep balls is rarely with the ywo worst tackles in the NFL? Hmm ok. I'd love to see how many times u hold it to go deep with our line last year. He actually improved under pressure as year went on. And games he had time he looked very good.

On 4/8/2019 at 7:12 AM, SilverNBlackFan said:

Glad to see you share the same mindset as his detractors, which is no excuses for DC next year.

He needs to play great to make it to Vegas. 

There is no doubt if his production regresses with the added talent we have he will be gone, that is obvious and I'm not a homer.  I just dont think it will happen and that has been my point all along.  Carr has not forgotten how to play QB at a high level (2016).  Constant coaching and scheme changes along with regression in talent has caused his production to drop.  It's pretty obvious to the trained eye as to what is going on and anyone who thinks that the Raiders last season had a roster anything short of a dumpster fire needs to have their head examined. 

No excuses and he must elevate his play to stay around.  We have made enough improvements for Carr to play close to his 2016 level and if he does his job is safe but remember this team is still far from being a contender.  We have a lot of holes to fill via the draft and counting on rookies at key positions like DE could prove to be detrimental to our success.  We need to nail our 1st 4 picks, that is a given.  

I see our first 4 picks being any of these positions (DL, S, TE, CB, LB, WR)  I think we get a RB int he 4th or later and it is possible we snag an interior OL is there is great value on the board.  I could see the Raiders taking a developmental QB later in the draft but I can assure one will not be chosen before the 4th round.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

or not.

15 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

don't have enough time in the day to debate whether Carr is good or not.. points have already been made

Some of you guys love affair over Carr is incredible. Yet not as bad as Twitter and YouTube but c'mon. If he can't handle pressure better he's going to be the same QB we saw in 17 and 18

If you take out his Rookie Year, he's had 2 very good season's and 2 below average season's. 

11 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Some of you guys love affair over Carr is incredible. Yet not as bad as Twitter and YouTube but c'mon. If he can't handle pressure better he's going to be the same QB we saw in 17 and 18

If you take out his Rookie Year, he's had 2 very good season's and 2 below average season's. 

2015 very good? Slightly above average. 

The main thing with Raider fans is the QB position is an emotional thing for them. We went ten years with good QB play so they are very insecure about the position. Some people even use this in their argument which is a 100% emotional/insecure argument. 

• Like 1

My take on Carr is simple. The main issue I had with him at Fresno was his skittishness in the pocket. I hoped to see progression in that area and frankly, he's regressed where that is concerned.

Talent around him won't help him in this area. He has to be more poise. It's a part of his game that is truly lacking and should be progressed at this stage of his career.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

My take on Carr is simple. The main issue I had with him at Fresno was his skittishness in the pocket. I hoped to see progression in that area and frankly, he's regressed where that is concerned.

Talent around him won't help him in this area. He has to be more poise. It's a part of his game that is truly lacking and should be progressed at this stage of his career.

Its year 6. I think he is who he is at this point. It's a fatal flaw in his game , one that will prevent him from ever being great.

You either have it or you dont. I see young guys like Mayfield, Watson, Wentz, Mahomes all come into the league and from day one they display better poise, presence and courage in the pocket than I've ever seen from Carr.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Its year 6. I think he is who he is at this point. It's a fatal flaw in his game , one that will prevent him from ever being great.

You either have it or you dont. I see young guys like Mayfield, Watson, Wentz, Mahomes all come into the league and from day one they display better poise, presence and courage in the pocket than I've ever seen from Carr.

If we trade up for Murray people shouldn't blame Mayock or Gruden. Blame Derek Carr.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

100% agree. With him it is mental. His courage issues isn't something that can be easily fixed. QBs dont get live reps until August preseason.  I would hope he sees a sports psychiatrist but he's very religious which might not be an option for him but Im just guesssing there. 

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

If we trade up for Murray people shouldn't blame Mayock or Gruden. Blame Derek Carr.

Agreed 100%

42 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

He handled the pocket fine last year when he was being bum rushed from all sides. Top 5 in sacks allowed and he had the same passer rating as 2016 with worse targets to throw to.

This psychoanalysis of Carr is hilariously bad. He's not "rattled" or any garbage like that. Aside from Watson, who is no sure thing btw, and has been throwing to Hopkins for his whole career, all those guys had excellent protection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

How do you think Brady would have looked on our team last season?  Garbage weapons, no time to pass or assess the field.  

Do you think Brady would have made the pro bowl?  Taken us to the playoffs?  Super Bowl?  If not do you think he would look old, washed and appeared like he should retire?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

How do you think Brady would have looked on our team last season?  Garbage weapons, no time to pass or assess the field.  

Do you think Brady would have made the pro bowl?  Taken us to the playoffs?  Super Bowl?  If not do you think he would look old, washed and appeared like he should retire?

Nah bro, he would have "improvised" and made jordy and seth look like moss and edelman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I don't have a love affair with Carr.

I'm simply trying to see all the angles.

I think the front office and coaching will look at more than his past performance and even his level of production this year when deciding if he should remain on the team. I think it will be a question of what are we moving to if he isn't the QB? Can we build a team around him that is good enough to bring out his best and/or elevate us past his limitations?

I look at Gruden's history, QBs situations around the league recently, Mayock's strengths in scouting. Those things point me toward a structure that says Gruden COULD ride a vet like Carr who has the ability to produce with a strong team around him while we develop a another guy. Remember this guy has to learn Gruden's system, gel with AB, command the offense, and make smart decisions. I don't see any rookie being able to do those things to the level Carr can. Just doesn't make sense to lose Carr now with the teams goals of winning in Oakland, moving to Vegas strong and winning rings.

Just focusing on what could be best with the knowledge we have. Of course, things could go wrong or right. That is just where I land by looking a everything.

• Like 2