The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

20 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

no wonder Raider fans get a bad rep.... we are really just bashing Carr for that train wreck of a season lol

Im tired of losing and we feel Carr needs to be replaced.

Issue with this board is people throw cheap shots at the posters because we dont think DC is the best option at QB. I've been called a bad rep raider fan, a know nothing about football etc Just because I dont like our 29-51 record QB who threw 19 TDs and 22 TDs the year before. 

26 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

no wonder Raider fans get a bad rep.... we are really just bashing Carr for that train wreck of a season lol

The more I see Carr play, the more I praise Bill Musgrave for making Carr be somewhat successful those two years. 

Carr is a limited QB, an average talent at the position. Mentally and physically not strong enough to be a franchise QB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Im tired of losing and we feel Carr needs to be replaced.

Issue with this board is people throw cheap shots at the posters because we dont think DC is the best option at QB. I've been called a bad rep raider fan, a know nothing about football etc Just because I dont like our 29-51 record QB who threw 19 TDs and 22 TDs the year before. 

let's ignore

• we change the offense system every single dam year.... this is the first time kept the same system
  • laughable talent around him....Cooper who was soft, Nelson washed, Roberts a nobody... 
  • guys who actually came to play look good with Carr: Richard, Cook, and even Lefell before he got hurt
  • trash OL play... the one year we won in the trenches Carr was an MVP candidate.. Carr a pocket passer of course he needs a clean pocket
  • still had moments where he took over the game
  • team always had a trash defense that couldn't get off the field, or get turnovers...more opportunities never there
  • first year healthy after back to back season with season ending injury

yah.....Carr sucks...lol. I can't name worst set of playmakers than the 2018 Raiders

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't know what vendetta you have against this guy, but you clearly can't objectively evaluate a roster if you think that Carr is even 1/2 the reason we lost those games.

Show me one respectable defense we fielded in his career.

Show me one offense/playbook he played with.

Show me one set of receivers/tight ends he has had more than 2 years with...

We've been a dysfunctional, mediocre team with shoddy drafting, no defense, in a brutal division, and you expect him to take us from rivalling the browns for 10 years to a winning record every year? He's still human. And you really can't expect him to progress with no continuity around him.

To me it seems like you're frustrated at the franchise and are taking it out on Carr, as he's not able to make hero plays to save a roster that never really had a chance last year.

But what do I know?:ph34r:

Ted Nguyen wrote a great article/all22 breakdown for the Athletic about Haskins' weaknesses and it was pretty thorough. His intermediate to deep accuracy isn't great, he sometimes struggles under pressure, and he relied primarily on YAC for most of his completions. Pardon me if I don't see the "superstar qb" upside in Haskins that you do.

I don't think Murray will be there at 4, but I'd rather draft a pro bowl caliber defender at 4 and build the team.

If Carr "sucks" as you say, we have plenty of ammo to move up next year and draft a qb.

I can certainly objectively evaluate the roster. We have an average QB who isn't good enough to win consistently in the NFL as a starter.

Many QBs like Carr have had long careers with various teams in the NFL. Jeff George, Steve Beuerlein, Donte Culpepper, Scott Mitchell, Aaron Brooks, Niel O'Donnell, Ryan FitzPatrick, Jay Cutler, Jeff Garcia, Gus Ferrotte etc  Each of these guys got large contracts and had pro bowl season here and there. But they werent consistently good enough to win in the NFL. This is what Carr is

If any  other player that got top 5 money in their position in the NFL was signed to the raiders, then went ahead and ranked below league average the following 2 seasons, People would be trying to replace him or screaming to get out of the contract. Not with Carr, it is all the other players faults why Carr can't be like himself from 3 years ago. Cmon, this is the NFL and you are what you are now

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I can certainly objectively evaluate the roster. We have an average QB who isn't good enough to win consistently in the NFL as a starter.

Many QBs like Carr have had long careers with various teams in the NFL. Jeff George, Steve Beuerlein, Donte Culpepper, Scott Mitchell, Aaron Brooks, Niel O'Donnell, Ryan FitzPatrick, Jay Cutler, Jeff Garcia, Gus Ferrotte etc  Each of these guys got large contracts and had pro bowl season here and there. But they werent consistently good enough to win in the NFL. This is what Carr is

If any  other player that got top 5 money in their position in the NFL was signed to the raiders, then went ahead and ranked below league average the following 2 seasons, People would be trying to replace him or screaming to get out of the contract. Not with Carr, it is all the other players faults why Carr can't be like himself from 3 years ago. Cmon, this is the NFL and you are what you are now

This is a complete dumbing down of a complex issue. You know as well as everyone else on this board that Carr or any QB can be a good player but circumstances around them can prevent success. I'm not saying Carr is HOF, All-Pro or even great but he is good. When supported properly he has proven it. Now we just need to get back to that.

If we go on the hunt for great at QB and fail to find it ,it's back to the sucking. If we get a potential great QB and don't support him properly we suck as well. There is a reason smart coaches don't let good QBs just walk. The plan this year should be to find a QB to develop behind Carr. It's how you maximize your position.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

I am sure the posts are still on the old forum, Under the name Commit_2_Xcelence. I worked for the raiders in a low level position in the film room for 4 years before i left after being diagnosed with throat cancer (been cancer free for the last 16 months) and moved to Houston with my Wife and 2 boys now. I was able to overhear alot of conversations and gameplans it was a very cool perspective. And it was at a very cool time. I was hired during the offseason prior to the 2011 season. So i saw an Al Davis ran franchise and then I got to see the first 3 years of reggies regime.

I may or may not still have a few friends in the building. 

Wow, you've been on quite a ride and great that you've come through the cancer battle and hope you stay clear.

Must have been eye opening there, did you ever have any interactions with Al himself?

What was the differences between the Al franchise and Reggies version?

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Not with Carr, it is all the other players faults why Carr can't be like himself from 3 years ago. Cmon, this is the NFL and you are what you are now

Right? It was poor ole Amari Coopers fault why Carr didnt trust him enough to throw him the ball, despite the fact Amari was a top 5 WR in the nfl once being traded. 😭 It was Kolton Miller and Brandon Parker's fault why Carr is a check down artist despite Carr playing the same way even when he had the best and highest paid protection in the league. The coaches fault, the defense's fault, my fault, you're fault- I'm just sick and tired of hearing excuses for the dude for why he's average. 

He's the west coast Andy Dalton 

Edited by SilverNBlackFan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Right? It was poor ole Amari Coopers fault why Carr didnt trust him enough to throw him the ball, despite the fact Amari was a top 5 WR in the nfl once being traded. 😭 It was Kolton Miller and Brandon Parker's fault why Carr is a check down artist despite Carr playing the same way even when he had the best and highest paid protection in the league. The coaches fault, the defense's fault, my fault, you're fault- I'm just sick and tired of hearing excuses for the dude for why he's average. 

There is a reason why you didn't reply to someone that had a differing opinion than your simplistic take. 

No, it's not Amari fault solely that they didn't connect more often. The blame lies with both players. They weren't on the same page from the start. None of us know what the disconnect was but it was obvious. I mean Crab came in and immediately supplanted him as the #1 and made plays while Coop floundered and flashed.

Carr checking down was a symptom of learning the offense which calls for many shorter timing routes and outlets, new OTs being out of their depth in many cases along with injuries to the oline in general. When the oline was the best pass protecting in the league Carr pushed the offense down the field regularly and was a top scoring unit regularly.

If you're sick and tired of hearing excuses then be realistic about the circumstances surrounding the team in the down years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I hear it. These excuses blame every player or coach on the team why Carr is an average QB. He's thrown 19 and 22 TDs in 2017 and 2018 since getting paid. Lot of our losses Carr has had his fair share of plays that he didn't make throughout the game, where it could of made a difference.

I can guarantee that if any other players was paid like a franchise player then had 2 consecutive below league average season's, a lot of this board would be ready to get rid of that contract.

DC has a lot of Raiders fans grasping for mediocrity and it is sad. Dude is a flat out loser NFL QB. 29-51 is no QB I can support

Edited by bucksavage1
Edited

Why does it always have to be so black and white with some of you? 

I'm a Carr guy. He was atop my list of QBs in 2014. Carr certainly hasn't had the best supporting casts since becoming a Raiders and went through a lot of scheme changes in his time here. 

The issue is consistency. He'll have games where he looks e every bit the QB who can take you places. Accurate, poise, etc.

Those can be few and far between however. He has far more games where he's erratic, looses composure, etc. 

The thing I can't escape with Carr is the same challenge he had in college. He can't handle pressure. Soon as a team hits him a few times, he starts throwing off his back foot and giving up on plays. He doesn't want to run and make plays off schedule.

Carr can be a good starter (probably never great) who you need to protect and keep clean to excel. There are a lot worse QBs than Carr.

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

let's ignore

• we change the offense system every single dam year.... this is the first time kept the same system
  • laughable talent around him....Cooper who was soft, Nelson washed, Roberts a nobody... 
  • guys who actually came to play look good with Carr: Richard, Cook, and even Lefell before he got hurt
  • trash OL play... the one year we won in the trenches Carr was an MVP candidate.. Carr a pocket passer of course he needs a clean pocket
  • still had moments where he took over the game
  • team always had a trash defense that couldn't get off the field, or get turnovers...more opportunities never there
  • first year healthy after back to back season with season ending injury

yah.....Carr sucks...lol. I can't name worst set of playmakers than the 2018 Raiders

Raiders had a top 7 offensive Line unit in 2017 and brought back his playmakers from his best season what was his excuse then?

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

If we go on the hunt for great at QB and fail to find it ,it's back to the sucking. If we get a potential great QB and don't support him properly we suck as well. There is a reason smart coaches don't let good QBs just walk. The plan this year should be to find a QB to develop behind Carr. It's how you maximize your position.

I think the question is what kind of offense does Gruden want to run? He likes mobility in his QBs and has made some comments last year that made it sound like he wanted more of that from Carr. Gruden spent a lot of time with the Chip Kelly's, Andy Reids, of the world. He wants that high octane offense you can see it by the moves he makes, 

Which is why the Murray stuff doesn't surprise me. He's like mini-Mahomes who can make plays off schedule and avoids pressure.

I still expect Murray to go 1 to AZ. And I expect Gruden to find his guy by 2020 unless Carr just blows the roof off in 2019 and Gruden's forced to keep him. 

Either way.... I want what's best for the Vegas Raiders, whoever that ends up being.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:32 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

That's dope man. Assuming you're right, do you have any input on the draft from inside the building?

At this point what i have to go off of i don't know a whole lot more then I have already posted.

Everytime i mention something about Carr being traded or us drafting a QB my buddies just laugh and say good to see Gruden and Mayock have some pull still.

Carr is more or less raiders jesus. Mack and Cooper were liked at every level of the franchise. Carr is on a different level. Carr would have to bottom out next year for them to even consider.

When i said the raiders don't have a QB in the top 30 of their big board i was told that. To be fair i also asked if he had seen the big board and he said no... so take it for what its worth. I trust he isn't talking outta his butt.

I can tell you Mayock is planning on building this defense through the draft. 

Edited by OG_C2X
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Wow, you've been on quite a ride and great that you've come through the cancer battle and hope you stay clear.

Must have been eye opening there, did you ever have any interactions with Al himself?

What was the differences between the Al franchise and Reggies version?

I shook his hand once the first week i was hired. He was in really bad form his last year.

There was alot more structure under reggie.