The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

59 minutes ago, Roninho said:

While i don't agree with a bunch of names on your list, imo we all can agree Carr is a middle of pack QB. If he is 12th or 18th best isnt really the most relevant discussion though.

More interesting is the question do you move on and try to upgrade or work with what you have and win via defense. By keeping Carr i could see us becoming the Detroit Lions: Having decent seasons but never be really in contention for anything.

It is a hard place to be in, because the alternative (moving on from Carr) actually has a bigger chance of us becoming one of the many franchises drafting a bust and be stuck with a downgrade like close to half of the league had the past decade. 

He's been playing like a top 10 qb this year by nearly every metric, both in terms of direct statistics (like passer rating, percent of turnover worthy throws, uncatchable throw %, etc). His protection has been excellent, but so has his time to throw, decision making, pocket movement, and even playing under pressure and extending plays. He's shown growth in all those areas with a revolving door at WR, after finally being in the same system for the 2nd year in a row... 

I think he certainly can be a top 10 passer in the league.

If you're referring to a guy like Stafford, if their defense could do anything worth a damn, they would be in contention. I don't think the Lions are a good example at all. They haven't been well run, much like us. That's the reason for their lack of success, as opposed to Stafford being unable to do enough.

• Like 1

I picked the Lions on purpose as the example.

Imo Stafford is a top 10 QB, and Carr hasn't shown consistently that he is one. Hopefully this season is not an exception, but we are seeing the 'new' Carr and he is making the step to Staffords level. I'm simply not sold yet, because we have years of tape on Carr where he is showing he isnt a top 10 qb.

But even if he is i don't see him being a better QB then Stafford, and Stafford hasn't won ****. And that is because the Lions made many mistakes in building their roster. We are very very very similar in that (we just traded away our 2017 1st round pick for a 3rd). I hope that Mayock is changing this but as long as he hasnt proven that imo in the case Carr is turning in a top 10 qb we are still very similar to the Lions: not winning anything.

25 minutes ago, Roninho said:

Imo Stafford is a top 10 QB, and Carr hasn't shown consistently that he is one. Hopefully this season is not an exception, but we are seeing the 'new' Carr and he is making the step to Staffords level. I'm simply not sold yet, because we have years of tape on Carr where he is showing he isnt a top 10 qb.

But even if he is i don't see him being a better QB then Stafford, and Stafford hasn't won ****. And that is because the Lions made many mistakes in building their roster. We are very very very similar in that (we just traded away our 2017 1st round pick for a 3rd). I hope that Mayock is changing this but as long as he hasnt proven that imo in the case Carr is turning in a top 10 qb we are still very similar to the Lions: not winning anything.

We need to go after defense hard, DE and LB especially. Once we have a pass rush everyone gets better. 

Get Carr another weapon with Tyrell. Love renfrow and Zay Jones for what they do going forward, but need a special talent. Tes are pretty solid and oline.

7 hours ago, Roninho said:

The situations are similar, but I gotta throw a big "duh" out here. It's a team game fellas. QBs don't do it alone.

Even the elite, HOF guys had great teams around them. The Patriots haven't won 6 rings just because of Brady. I know he gets all of the credit, but it's just not true. Montana was surrounded with talent with the 49ers. Bradshaw was probably one of the worst players on his own team, but still has 4 rings. 

QB may be the most important position, but even the best have terrible seasons when the talent around them isn't there.

8 hours ago, Roninho said:

Carr outplayed him yesterday without the talent he has at receiver. Made better decisions, played better on 3rd down, etc. I think Carr's upside is huge. Hopefully, he can continue to grow in this offense.

• Like 1

Carr is on pace for a better season than 2016 (this season really gets overrated due to comebacks). 

He’s on pace for 4000 yards (maybe shy 100-250 yards), 26 TDs, 7 INTs, 69% COMP, and the most important difference here is 7.9 YPA. He had 7.0 YPA in 2016 which is really bad. I’d say 7.5 is average and 7.9+ is where you get to elite QB territory. 

I’m proud of him. Really am. I didn’t expect this. He’s probably been the 2nd best QB in the NFL these past two games behind Wilson. 

However, he also needs to do it against a respectable defense. Lions had the worst Pass Defense in the NFL. Texans were bottom 4. 

Chargers Pass Defense is ranked 5th in the NFL this year. Let’s see Carr have a solid showing against that. Throughout his career we’ve seen Carr get dominated by Top 5 Defenses, especially Top 5 Pass Defenses. It’s time for him to show he has turned a corner and in Grudens offense he can operate well against any defense. 

QB DEREK CARR, OAKLAND RAIDERS

Carr was electric against the Lions on Sunday, as he picked up two big-time throws and zero turnover-worthy plays en route to an 86.8 passing grade in Week 9. He also recorded an 81.5% adjusted completion percentage on Sunday, which ranked tied for sixth among qualifying quarterbacks this week.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-9-team-of-the-week

On 11/5/2019 at 2:55 PM, BayRaider said:

Carr is on pace for a better season than 2016 (this season really gets overrated due to comebacks). 

He’s on pace for 4000 yards (maybe shy 100-250 yards), 26 TDs, 7 INTs, 69% COMP, and the most important difference here is 7.9 YPA. He had 7.0 YPA in 2016 which is really bad. I’d say 7.5 is average and 7.9+ is where you get to elite QB territory. 

I’m proud of him. Really am. I didn’t expect this. He’s probably been the 2nd best QB in the NFL these past two games behind Wilson. 

However, he also needs to do it against a respectable defense. Lions had the worst Pass Defense in the NFL. Texans were bottom 4. 

Chargers Pass Defense is ranked 5th in the NFL this year. Let’s see Carr have a solid showing against that. Throughout his career we’ve seen Carr get dominated by Top 5 Defenses, especially Top 5 Pass Defenses. It’s time for him to show he has turned a corner and in Grudens offense he can operate well against any defense. 

I think Carr gets in the MVP hunt if we go 4-0 in November and in the playoff hunt. he would be a big reason we turn the corner. big IF