The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

8 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

See this is crazy. Mahomes, Watson and Wilson...and youre taking Carr over all of them? Ridiculous.

I have NEVER liked Watson or Mahomes as prospects.

I swung and miss on Mahomes based on last year. But when I evaluate him. He has MASSIVE flaws and holes in his game. Reid has created an offense that hides those flaws and limits his abilities. He is not a cerebral QB.Watson on the other hand is a good QB when hes available. He is not the type of QB I desire because I want my QB's best ability to be throwing the ball. His strong suit is escaping and running. He throws a decent ball, better then Mahomes, but Carr throws a better ball then both of them by a landslide. 

Wilson is the best QB in the NFL, I would take him over Carr, but Filtered by QB's under 30 so Russ didn't pop up on the list.

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Not gonna lie, this is one of the strangest takes I’ve ever read on here.

Why? Because Mahomes won the MVP last year and Watson and Jackson make flashy plays?

Well IMO DC would have won the MVP and had the same season if not better if he was in mahomes situation last year.

And as for Watson and Jackson I will take a QB who can make every throw in the book, who is a coach on the field, and a leader of men rather then some flashy QB who has serious holes and flaws in his game all day everyday and twice and Sundays

2 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

I have NEVER liked Watson or Mahomes as prospects.

I swung and miss on Mahomes based on last year. But when I evaluate him. He has MASSIVE flaws and holes in his game. Reid has created an offense that hides those flaws and limits his abilities. He is not a cerebral QB.Watson on the other hand is a good QB when hes available. He is not the type of QB I desire because I want my QB's best ability to be throwing the ball. His strong suit is escaping and running. He throws a decent ball, better then Mahomes, but Carr throws a better ball then both of them by a landslide. 

Wilson is the best QB in the NFL, I would take him over Carr, but Filtered by QB's under 30 so Russ didn't pop up on the list.

Why? Because Mahomes won the MVP last year and Watson and Jackson make flashy plays?

Well IMO DC would have won the MVP and had the same season if not better if he was in mahomes situation last year.

And as for Watson and Jackson I will take a QB who can make every throw in the book, who is a coach on the field, and a leader of men rather then some flashy QB who has serious holes and flaws in his game all day everyday and twice and Sundays

Dude get over yourself and your evaluations. While I think Carr is a rock solid QB, there’s no way in hell anybody would take him over Mahomes if they had to choose. Don’t get so sensitive about people calling out your take on mahomes.

Edited by Justwinning

48 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Dude get over yourself and your evaluations. While I think Carr is a rock solid QB, there’s no way I’m he’ll anybody would take him over Mahomes if they had to choose. Don’t get so sensitive about people calling out your take on mahomes.

I admitted I swung and missed on Mahomes, I dont get sensitive,. I trust my eyes over everything though. He has massive flaws but they can be hidden with the right offense and good weapons. 

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Another Carr guy who will never admit a single fault. Carr is terrible under pressure. Better this year because pressure is rare and he’s not expecting it. It affects his mindset easily. That’s how QBs get happy feet, which is not a common thing. It’s a personality trait. Some QBs have it. Most don’t. 

I'm pretty sure most of us all agreed pages ago that Carr gets rattled under pressure. (So does Brady but it's rare to get pressure on Brady) The happy feet was part of his scouting report and growing up seeing the beating his brother took definitely is in his mind. He's also a better leader/teammate than his brother as he saw what being the 'loner' did to his career.  Since his injuries he folds like a lawn chair when in doubt because he'd rather do that than be injured. AVAILABILITY is the #1 ability (Broken leg/finger/back) Last season was a total loss and I'm shocked we finished as well as we did. So folding like a lawn chair kept him playing, learning and growing in the system. Carr also seems to float balls in the 1st quarter due to excitement/nerves whatever, just like Farve did and also like Farve he's ON POINT in comebacks in the 4th quarter which many QB's aren't.

Carr has flaws and takes a BEATING from many Raider fans. He and his brother block negative comments/posters because negativity doesn't help and constructive criticism' is for coaches making him better, not a bunch of social media blowhards who think they're important because they really aren't. (Myself included) 

So we admit flaws but we also know that our players need our support especially if there isn't a quality guy behind them. Some are not being very 'Humble' with the chest thumping but the beating Carr took in this form from 'fans' can one really expect anything less? Carr may very well struggle again at some point and maybe it'll be an undisclosed injury, tragedy in the family or loses his mojo due to sacks/fumbles/INT's etc.... Either way supporters will have his back and non supporters won't. Winning 'usually' brings us together but some will always want an 'upgrade' because of Carr's past and if he's not elite they will always think we can just draft an elite QB to replace him. I do think we need to draft a guy to back him up and develop because with 35 million and climbing QB contracts, I'd only franchise Carr once so it's better to think ahead and develop a 3rd/4th rounder this year or next. Every 2 years I'd be looking at a QB with at least a late round pick. It's just the new NFL landscape.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

I admitted I swung and missed on Mahomes, I dont get sensitive,. I trust my eyes over everything though. He has massive flaws but they can be hidden with the right offense and good weapons. 

I will say is that Andy Reid clearly elevates the play of his QB's. I think Mahomes skillset is good but I also think he is a product of a system.  He is another guy who has gotten by with superior athletic ability and surrounding talent.  I will be interested to see how well he preforms and how intelligent he is when his mobility is compromised and he is regulated to the pocket.  It may be years before that happens but then we will see how good he actually is. 

Matt Moore, who came in off the street and is a is a flat out bum had a 100 QBR and no picks in the 3 games he started.  

Also Darnold is bum :) 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:
17 hours ago, true2form said:

I can say I've never wavered. Do I want him to be at his best? Of course. However, I knew we wouldn't see his best until we surrounded him with better talent.

This is a general statement that applies to every QB ever, so I don't understand why some struggle to grasp that.

No... I’ve seen Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Andrew Luck among many other QBs work with no line or receivers and elevate their offense. This is definitely a thing. Deshaun Watson too, one of the worst lines of all time and hes #3 MVP voting. Wilson has a good RB but terrible line, terrible defense, below average receivers, and no TE. 

Carr I’m throughly impressed with and want him as our QB for 2020 and beyond as long as he’s playing well. However, let’s not assume every QB needs talent. Carr without question needs a Top 5 Offensive Line. That is not even really debatable. 

To be frank, you’re comparing Carr to 3 of the best QBs to ever play the game in Rodgers, Brady and Wilson. If people are expecting us to trade Carr at the end of the season and draft a guy that good (asa number were) then 99% they’ll be disappointed. Carr certainly has his flaws but we are seeing some good coaching allowing him to play to his strengths and considering we have a poor WR core where our top WR is barely a #2 on most rosters I think Carr is doing very well though with still some room to improve. I did feel Thursday night even after Ekeler scored that if we had decent protection that Carr would undoubtedly take us down the field for the win, he’s been excellent in those situations.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’m talking about they have gone through spouts of their career with almost nothing. Bradys early days was laughable. Rodgers has gone through dry spells of no talent. You are also overrating Lockett and Metcalf, neither are even better than Tyrell Williams who is a Mid Range WR2. 

How many good seasons has Carr had with an average line? Zero. Let me see him with the 15th ranked line and see him have a solid season. It will never, ever happen. He needs a Top 5 Line. Which is fine as long as we draft well on defense. 

Another Carr guy who will never admit a single fault. Carr is terrible under pressure. Better this year because pressure is rare and he’s not expecting it. It affects his mindset easily. That’s how QBs get happy feet, which is not a common thing. It’s a personality trait. Some QBs have it. Most don’t. 

So we both agree that Carr is not an elite QB, but why do you continue to be the one that wants to compare him to the elite?

I think he's good and going to continue to be better within the same system and better talent around him. This is already taking place. 

Why does that make me a Homer? Because I live in reality? So be it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Darbsk said:

To be frank, you’re comparing Carr to 3 of the best QBs to ever play the game in Rodgers, Brady and Wilson. If people are expecting us to trade Carr at the end of the season and draft a guy that good (asa number were) then 99% they’ll be disappointed. Carr certainly has his flaws but we are seeing some good coaching allowing him to play to his strengths and considering we have a poor WR core where our top WR is barely a #2 on most rosters I think Carr is doing very well though with still some room to improve. I did feel Thursday night even after Ekeler scored that if we had decent protection that Carr would undoubtedly take us down the field for the win, he’s been excellent in those situations.

Exactly, and even those guys went to great situations early in their careers. Rodgers sat behind Farve and grew into an established offense. Brady and Wilson both had great run games and defenses early in their careers to lean on. Carr hasn’t had any of that in his time here in Oakland. But drafting a guy like Mahomes or Jackson, talented guys drafted later put on a really talented team, could be a good move for a team. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 2:15 PM, OG_C2X said:

I’m not criticizing you going to bat for Carr, I’m just confused about why you’d replace him with those two in particular. Like, your two aren’t from the elite category like Rodgers or Wilson, aren’t ones who have been highly productive over a long period of time (Eg. Stafford, Ryan) and aren’t the current media darlings that you’ve mentioned above.

You've picked Wentz and Darnold who are both just... I’d call them meh. There’s probably about 10 QBs I’d take over Carr right now, but I can say for certain it wouldn’t be those two. I get it, football is all about opinions. But let’s just say one million Raiders fans are given the option of any two QBs that they’re allowed to replace Carr with - I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say you’d be the one in a million whose two choices would be Wentz & Darnold. That’s why I called it a strange take.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:44 AM, G said:

I'm pretty sure most of us all agreed pages ago that Carr gets rattled under pressure. (So does Brady but it's rare to get pressure on Brady) The happy feet was part of his scouting report and growing up seeing the beating his brother took definitely is in his mind. He's also a better leader/teammate than his brother as he saw what being the 'loner' did to his career.  Since his injuries he folds like a lawn chair when in doubt because he'd rather do that than be injured. AVAILABILITY is the #1 ability (Broken leg/finger/back) Last season was a total loss and I'm shocked we finished as well as we did. So folding like a lawn chair kept him playing, learning and growing in the system. Carr also seems to float balls in the 1st quarter due to excitement/nerves whatever, just like Farve did and also like Farve he's ON POINT in comebacks in the 4th quarter which many QB's aren't.

Carr has flaws and takes a BEATING from many Raider fans. He and his brother block negative comments/posters because negativity doesn't help and constructive criticism' is for coaches making him better, not a bunch of social media blowhards who think they're important because they really aren't. (Myself included) 

So we admit flaws but we also know that our players need our support especially if there isn't a quality guy behind them. Some are not being very 'Humble' with the chest thumping but the beating Carr took in this form from 'fans' can one really expect anything less? Carr may very well struggle again at some point and maybe it'll be an undisclosed injury, tragedy in the family or loses his mojo due to sacks/fumbles/INT's etc.... Either way supporters will have his back and non supporters won't. Winning 'usually' brings us together but some will always want an 'upgrade' because of Carr's past and if he's not elite they will always think we can just draft an elite QB to replace him. I do think we need to draft a guy to back him up and develop because with 35 million and climbing QB contracts, I'd only franchise Carr once so it's better to think ahead and develop a 3rd/4th rounder this year or next. Every 2 years I'd be looking at a QB with at least a late round pick. It's just the new NFL landscape.

He's rattled under pressure? Lets look at the numbers.

2nd in avoiding pressure this year (21.4%) behind Kyler Murray.

According to Pro Football Focus, among quarterbacks that have faced more than 20 pressures on the year (every starter in the league), Carr is best in the NFL in terms of quarterback rating (109.2).

I don't understand why people think of players as static. Especially someone with no consistency at receiver or in offensive system.

Is it possible that he's showing growth in a system with continuity? 

He's even using his legs more and more.

In Week 11, Derek Carr led the NFL with 10.1 yards per pass attempt.

Since Week 6, no one in the NFL has averaged more yards per attempt than Derek Carr (9.2).

#RaiderNation

My phone wont quote the tweet right. Vic Tafur retweeted it. Remember when Carr was last in the league in YPA and we all (some of us) thought he wouldn't get better/was actually quite bad/was the end of the world? It's amazing how much coaching matters. Or maybe he's just getting better. Or maybe both.