The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

19 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not gonna happen. We can only escape his contract after this year. I mean, or wait til it expires. 

That is just ignorance. Have you looked at his deal?

In 2020 he has 5mil dead money with only 2.9mil fully guaranteed on 3rd day of the league year

In 2021 he has 2.5mil dead money.

We can get out of his deal any year we want, past this year with minimal hit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

That doesn’t take the fact he rarely went deep in 2017 and 2018. With his deep accuracy going way down last year. 

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Exactly. If you aren’t open by a mile he isn’t throwing it. He never throws it when a guy has a step. 

Once again, overstating and flat out lying. He was 18th in deep ball atts (over 20yrds in the air). That isn't RARELY.

4th in deep ball completion percentage at 44% in 2018 and 27th in 2017 with 29%. So his #s went way up this year throwing it deep.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Once again, overstating and flat out lying. He was 18th in deep ball atts (over 20yrds in the air). That isn't RARELY.

4th in deep ball completion percentage at 44% in 2018 and 27th in 2017 with 29%. So his #s went way up this year throwing it deep.

Thank you for backing it up with stats. Amazing how far some will go to push their agenda.

16 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

How is 18th in the league not rarely throwing it deep?

Plus the point still stands that Carr does NOT throw when a guy has a step. Usually has to be dead wide open. 

To put it in simple terms, that most agree with,

Carr has to deliver this year. He was garbage in 2017 and garbage in 2018. 2016 was a solid season absolutely. Although a season that is definitely overrated by Raider fans because of his comebacks. He also had the #1 Pass Protection in the NFL that year and two good although not great #1 WR’s. But still #1’s and a Top 3 WR duo that year. 

Carr can still be a Raider if he performs. He needs to have a season this year that is at least on par with 2016 and probably better if he wants to keep his job. 

I am looking out for the interest of the team. You should never get emotionally invested into a player. I’d be thrilled if Carr tore up the league this year and performed like a Top 5 QB, a position we don’t have to worry about then. However, I’ve been watching Carr for how many years now? 8? Dating back to Fresno State. He’s the same QB he’s always been. Terrible under pressure (hope you guys realize we’re not investing always in a Top 5 OL) Carr ranks near dead last in pressure almost every season. This year he was 32 of 35. His mobility is terrible. He goes with the easy read and usually the shortest route. Which is why in eight years he has never eclipsed 8 ypa. In college 8 ypa is easy as pie. But Carr is a dink and dunk QB. 

He’ll get his year this year. It’s perform big and have the best season of his career or go home. I hope he does well, I’m not gonna sit back and root against him by any means. But I’m just not expecting much more than what we’ve seen. 

At least most are in agreement it’s do or die now. 

• Like 2

Just now, BayRaider said:

How is 18th in the league not rarely throwing it deep?

Plus the point still stands that Carr does NOT throw when a guy has a step. Usually has to be dead wide open. 

Because he threw 59 last year. That isn't rare to me. It's not as many as other guys in different offenses but it's not like he never cranked it.

How does the point stand that he doesn't throw it when the guy has a step?

That is something that isn't shown in stat.

What is shown in stats is his receiver's separation which was 1.17yrds avg (26th) in the league. But he still was 3rd in accuracy rating. That tells us that his guys weren't getting separation or weren't running routes that allowed them to get separation and Carr was still accurate.

Now if you want to criticize him for something, you can point to his rushing (29th), his danger plays #2 (36th)(lack of awareness or high risk), interceptable passes #4 (27th). These added to his low air yards per pass ratings dropped his production efficiency to near last in the league despite being extremely accurate with the ball.

All this spells out that he can be an effective QB when he has time and options to make bigger plays. What remains to be seen is if the offense as a whole will be able to capitalize on this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carr has to deliver this year. He was garbage in 2017 and garbage in 2018. 2016 was a solid season absolutely. Although a season that is definitely overrated by Raider fans because of his comebacks. He also had the #1 Pass Protection in the NFL that year and two good although not great #1 WR’s. But still #1’s and a Top 3 WR duo that year. 

Carr can still be a Raider if he performs. He needs to have a season this year that is at least on par with 2016 and probably better if he wants to keep his job. 

I am looking out for the interest of the team. You should never get emotionally invested into a player. I’d be thrilled if Carr tore up the league this year and performed like a Top 5 QB, a position we don’t have to worry about then. However, I’ve been watching Carr for how many years now? 8? Dating back to Fresno State. He’s the same QB he’s always been. Terrible under pressure (hope you guys realize we’re not investing always in a Top 5 OL) Carr ranks near dead last in pressure almost every season. This year he was 32 of 35. His mobility is terrible. He goes with the easy read and usually the shortest route. Which is why in eight years he has never eclipsed 8 ypa. In college 8 ypa is easy as pie. But Carr is a dink and dunk QB. 

He’ll get his year this year. It’s perform big and have the best season of his career or go home. I hope he does well, I’m not gonna sit back and root against him by any means. But I’m just not expecting much more than what we’ve seen. 

The problem with everything you said is that these are conditions you or other fans, including myself, are putting on him that have no deciding vote AT ALL in if he stays or goes.

You can overstate and complain all you want but if Gruden finds it prudent to keep Carr next year, whether he is great, avg, or less that 2016 form, he will. Sometimes rookie Qbs need time and that is a scenario I can see Carr sticking at least one year. Sometimes they don't and then I can see Carr not sticking around.

It's all up to Gruden. Hell, Carr could have an big year and we could trade him for more picks. He could be underwhelming and we could not have any good options to replace him so he sticks. It's up to the front office. Not conditions you or I set on him.

Now for the obligatory, I want what's best for the team, I want Carr to have a big year and SB wins blah blah blah.

I still don’t get why guy are calling for Carr to be replaced. Quality QBs are  extremely hard to come by, and he’s the best we’ve had since Gannon. I get that the checkdowns can get stale and he can take more shots down field. But he is a quality QB, still relatively young and has proven he can be that guy.

ill honestly be pissed if we use a top 35 on a QB, I think we should go all with Carr as our QB, for at least this season. Continue to add talent to the roster and give him and Gruden another year together. If he isn’t the man for the job, then we have the capital next year to make a move if there is someone worth trading the farm for. 

I feel Carr will make huge strides this season and we all will look at this thread and laugh. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

+1

Carr's got to play well and win. After going 29-51 as a starter, 19 and 22 TDs the last 2 seasons the excuses are over.