Kingsbury to allow cell phone breaks in team meetings

tgrades3

4 minutes ago, kramxel said:

People can't focus for more than 30 minutes? Are you serious?

The average person will zone out and lose focus after that amount of time, yes. Many businesses have shortened meetings for this exact reason. I'm more surprised this is news to people.

10 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

The average person will zone out and lose focus after that amount of time, yes. Many businesses have shortened meetings for this exact reason. I'm more surprised this is news to people.

Yeah, breaks are completely fine and should be encouraged for this exact reason. Calling them a cell phone break though? Take 5 mins to get a coffee or talk to your team mates....updating their instagram with bored emojis isn't necessary 

10 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

In my line of work, I often have to give training to fellow colleagues, and the thought of a 30 minute attention span is beyond ridiculous. Considering it takes above 15 mins just to get people completely focused... it would mean a mere 15 mins of actually conveying information....

10 minutes ago, kramxel said:

In my line of work, I often have to give training to fellow colleagues, and the thought of a 30 minute attention span is beyond ridiculous. Considering it takes above 15 mins just to get people completely focused... it would mean a mere 15 mins of actually conveying information....

Sounds like you need to improve at getting peoples attention. I teach and I have kids attention the second I want to start the lesson plan. 

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, breaks are completely fine and should be encouraged for this exact reason. Calling them a cell phone break though? Take 5 mins to get a coffee or talk to your team mates....updating their instagram with bored emojis isn't necessary 

Which is where he went wrong. Call it a break, not a cell phone/social media break.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Sounds like you need to improve at getting peoples attention. I teach and I have kids attention the second I want to start the lesson plan. 

This conversation is derailing fast.

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I think its worded oddly but it actually makes sense. Most people aren't able to really focus and absorb information for more than 30 minutes, giving them a mental break so they can come back and refocus isn't a bad idea. He just shouldn't have been so open about it being time for cell phone and social media, just call it a mental break to grab some food, water and maybe call the family. If they want to use that time to go on twitter, so be it.

This. I've taken courses where we go hours without a break and then others where it's 45min lecture with 15min breaks . The 45/15min split was the best learning environment by far. Calling it a phone break sounds bad, but it's smart to have those breaks.

There's science behind it. I'm a teacher and they drill into our heads that people (not just HS-aged students) cannot pay attention for the same thing for more than 7 minutes without a break. It's absolutely a thing and I like this idea. It's not like it's killing their practice time or anything. I think it's a little bit on the long end of what I'd give my players, but I don't hate the idea at all. I'm willing to bet more and more teams adopt this model going forward. The old-timers will hate it, but it will definitely help keep people engaged.

Ultimately these are professionals and they will soak up the knowledge, but it will come easier to them if they are able to stay engaged throughout the instruction.

1 hour ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

But you can’t keep it for more than 30 minutes? 

Yep, because most humans are incapable of really staying locked in for that long. That’s why teachers who lecture for an entire period are out dated and out of touch. I’m constantly getting kids up and moving about every 15 minutes.

10 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I have 0 issue with this. I check my phone at work much more than this, and I'm 27. Players will play for a coach they like, and maybe something little like this will help, as long as he doesn't get taken advantage of

I imagine that you can hold from checking your phone for a few hours if you were in a meeting, though. I know I can.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I imagine that you can hold from checking your phone for a few hours if you were in a meeting, though. I know I can.

Sure I can, but if my job was having multiple hour meetings every day, I'd sure as hell appreciate a couple breaks

Archived