Steelers Hall of Honor inaugural class.

Livewire

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Kevin Greene? Great player but I think there some more deserving.

If you're talking an entire career, very few players were ever better.  If you're talking his career as a Steeler only, then he wasn't much as he was only there for 3 years.  3rd all time in sacks for his career.  He was a monster.  Averaged almost 12 a year as a Steeler.  He was a stud while a Steeler, just wasn't here long enough, unfortunately.  He went on to average 13 a year the next 4 years after they let him go.  Never should've let him go.  

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Yes, I'm familiar with him. 3 years as a Steeler doesn't make the ROH imo. Should have been Lloyd instead.

I didn't notice that at first but I definitely agree that three years shouldn't put him in the ROH let alone the prestigious first class. I wouldn't have put him ahead of guys like Lloyd, Ward, and Polamalu just to name a few.

EDIT: I just read that Greene was automatically included because he played at least three years for the Steelers and is in the HOF. Polamalu isn't eligble until next season.

I hope they put forth some rules to it and adhere to them really strongly.

Example of this is the Red Sox and retired numbers.  Must play 10 years with the team, in the HOF, and previously finish career with the team.

I would love to see them do minimum 5 years with the team, in the HOF, and (I want to add this) either 1 Super Bowl Ring or multiple franchise records at time of retirement.  That keeps it really special and means the guy had a long term lasting impact on the franchise.

11 hours ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

I didn't notice that at first but I definitely agree that three years shouldn't put him in the ROH let alone the prestigious first class. I wouldn't have put him ahead of guys like Lloyd, Ward, and Polamalu just to name a few.

EDIT: I just read that Greene was automatically included because he played at least three years for the Steelers and is in the HOF. Polamalu isn't eligble until next season.

So you have to be in the HOF to be considered? So what's the difference? It's basically a satellite HOF. 

17 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Yes, I'm familiar with him. 3 years as a Steeler doesn't make the ROH imo. Should have been Lloyd instead.

Same could be said for Bobby Layne... his last 4 yrs and probably his worst 4 yrs were spent with the Steelers.  HoF'er brings a lot of clout to it.

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

So you have to be in the HOF to be considered? So what's the difference? It's basically a satellite HOF. 

You don't have to be in the HOF to be considered.  You are automatically in if you are in the HOF AND played there at least 3 years.  It makes perfect sense.  As I said before, he's clearly one of the greatest players to ever wear the black and gold.  #3 all time in sacks and in the HOF says it all.  The only issue is 3 years on the team, but that's their basic minimum for automatic inclusion.  3 years does seem a bit low though.  You'd think it would be at least 4, for a full rookie deal.  

Archived