Call Your Shot: Lamar Jackson

BleedTheClock

Will Lamar Jackson become an effective starting QB?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Will Lamar Jackson become an effective starting QB?

I vote no. He threw some of the most disgusting passes I've ever seen in the NFL last year. Ravens fans will post that 1 good throw he had to Mark Andrews as evidence that he's a great passer, but that is about the only impressive throw I saw him make. I caught every single game he played in because he fascinated me as a prospect, but I thought he was one of the worst passers in the NFL last year and I fully expect teams to adjust to his running style. I think they're looking for another QB next off-season.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I vote no. He threw some of the most disgusting passes I've ever seen in the NFL last year. Ravens fans will post that 1 good throw he had to Mark Andrews as evidence that he's a great passer, but that is about the only impressive throw I saw him make. I caught every single game he played in because he fascinated me as a prospect, but I thought he was one of the worst passers in the NFL last year and I fully expect teams to adjust to his running style. I think they're looking for another QB next off-season.

If that is the only impressive throw you saw him make, then arguing/debating with you is pointless.

3 minutes ago, Danand said:

If that is the only impressive throw you saw him make, then arguing/debating with you is pointless.

Impressive is a strong word. I don't mean he didn't make some nice throws. But nothing he did as a passer outside of that Andrews throw was impressive. His athleticism was most certainly noteworthy and impressive in every game, but man does he suck hard as a passer.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Impressive is a strong word. I don't mean he didn't make some nice throws. But nothing he did as a passer outside of that Andrews throw was impressive. His athleticism was most certainly noteworthy and impressive in every game, but man does he suck hard as a passer.

And this is where it gets pointless. Why does he suck as a passer? Because he didn't put up huge numbers? Because he missed wide open receivers? Because he didn't make what you think is an impressive throw?

Lamar Jackson became a starter mid season, unintended, and had to learn a new offense on the fly. He was inconsistent as a passer, but made his share of great passes, it is as simple as watching a highlight reel of him.

If we are going to hold his worst game of the season against him (chargers in the playoffs) and in the process neglecting his good games, then we get irrational hot takes like we see in this thread.

I don't get why people want Lamar Jackson to fail so bad - because this is a thing. People really really want to put him down.

The weird thing is, no one is crowning him. Most Ravens fans are pretty level headed when it comes to Lamar. We know he has to improve as a passer, he has to be more consistent, fumbles has to disappear and he has to take better care of his body. Lets give him another year or two where he can actually work an offense and learn the game - like the same benefit of doubt we give the other quarterbacks drafted in the first round.

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

Why does he suck as a passer?

Mainly because he CONSISTENTLY buried the ball into the turf about 3-4 yards short of his wide open WR's several times last year. He made the most routine throws look like rocket science. I liked Lamar Jackson as a prospect. But man oh man I was very unimpressed with his games this year. Sure he's a great runner. But what I saw out of him as a passer was downright ugly.

This fool was on pace for 300 attempts a season. No... the durability will not last, he has the same flick arm as Vick with LESS accuracy (if that's even a thing), doesn't help out his receivers at all with loft throws, etc. 

Vick's best season was 11-5 in a (then) cupcake division. He played one full season ONCE in his career. Jackson is a worse version of Vick and I guarantee this doofus gets injured next year. The Ravens threw for 70 yards less per game once they cut Flacco. That's not sustainable in the NFL. 

Jackson also went against (outside of LA Chargers, who DEMOLISHED him in the 2nd showing) quite possibly the worst defensive lineup in NFL history over a stretch of games. 

He'll be alright. He ain't gonna light the world on fire, but I think he has the tools to put together a couple of pro bowl caliber years and probably stick around 8-10 seasons. He'll grow into a better NFL passer, and his athleticism will always be a weapon. JMO

55 minutes ago, Danand said:

And this is where it gets pointless. Why does he suck as a passer? Because he didn't put up huge numbers? Because he missed wide open receivers? Because he didn't make what you think is an impressive throw?

Lamar Jackson became a starter mid season, unintended, and had to learn a new offense on the fly. He was inconsistent as a passer, but made his share of great passes, it is as simple as watching a highlight reel of him.

If we are going to hold his worst game of the season against him (chargers in the playoffs) and in the process neglecting his good games, then we get irrational hot takes like we see in this thread.

I don't get why people want Lamar Jackson to fail so bad - because this is a thing. People really really want to put him down.

The weird thing is, no one is crowning him. Most Ravens fans are pretty level headed when it comes to Lamar. We know he has to improve as a passer, he has to be more consistent, fumbles has to disappear and he has to take better care of his body. Lets give him another year or two where he can actually work an offense and learn the game - like the same benefit of doubt we give the other quarterbacks drafted in the first round.

Most Raven fans seem pretty damn high on him. Predicting someone to fail isn't hating, hating is hoping someone fails (I'm a Browns fan so I do hope he fails).

Jackson can be an effective QB. He has a long way to go to be a top 10 passer but overall with his running ability he could certainly be serviceable. The offense scored just about as much with him under center as Flacco last year. Certainly worth the gamble to go with Jackson but lets not act like there was no other option, Flacco could have come back in.

The fumbling thing has to get better he won't get as lucky with his team recovering his fumbles in the future. He also has to stay healthy which is more likely while he is young.

As far as being thrown in, Baker Mayfield never took a 1st team rep before entering his first game. He had more college experience but I don't know how much that really matters and he is a few years older, not sure how much that matters either (from history) it just looked like one was an NFL QB out of the gate and the other was a project. I think that will continue for awhile. Doesn't mean both offenses can't be good they will just rely on different aspects to make them good. The Ravens will need Jackson's legs to stay healthy and the Browns will need Mayfield's arm to stay healthy.

My prediction: Lamar will have a couple of good maybe even Top 10ish type seasons before fading out to a average to below average QB. Nothing against the kid, he seems like he’s mature and a hard worker I just don’t trust the arm/throwing motion 

Not a fan of any of the AFC North teams so no bias from me.....hope I’m wrong really 

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I suppose it depends on the wording - effective passer: No. Effective QB? Could be, if the Ravens use him correctly and to his strengths. 

This is almost exactly what I would have said

Archived