Call Your Shot: Lamar Jackson

BleedTheClock

Will Lamar Jackson become an effective starting QB?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Will Lamar Jackson become an effective starting QB?

1 hour ago, john305 said:

But completing 65% of your passes doesn't identify any issues, that's just an arbitrary number you threw out. Saying QB's who are so so height fail in the NFL or most QB's who have completed  65% of their passes in CFB fail in the NFL is not the same none of those are indicators of any real weakness. QB's who complete under 60% of their passes is a good indicator that they have potential accuracy issues, seeing as how throwing windows get smaller in the NFL that just might be an issue.

I purposely picked an arbitrary number (65%) because that’s exactly what you’re doing by picking the 60% marker. It’s random. Using completion percentage as a marker for accuracy isn’t concrete at all, there’s a ton of context - which is the point.

Most QBs fail. I could say most QBs under 6’4 fail, and I’d be right, but that doesn’t mean a certain height is a requirement for success.

I suspect no, but we don't really have enough information yet.

I think anyone who claims no is basing it off historical examples of QB's that have similar play styles.  But there are good QB's who manage to adjust their style and become more polished passers, rendering their running ability a nice secondary attribute.  He certainly has some work to do as a passer, but for now his running ability is keeping that from being a show stopper.

And just like all running QB's before him, he'll need to get choosier about when to run and when to just throw it away.  In 7 starts, he ran 119 times.  His body isn't going to be able to take a 250 carry load while also taking shots in the pocket (he had about a 40 sacks pace last year, plus all the hits after the throw).

We'll have to see.

Serious question: what does Jackson have that "he who shall not be named" from SF didn't have? Apart from the wont to read the playbook I can't think of too many.

Does this mean he won't be an effective starting QB? No as Roman knows how to get the most out of these types of QB if he is allowed to.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:14 PM, Melbourne 9er said:

Serious question: what does Jackson have that "he who shall not be named" from SF didn't have? Apart from the wont to read the playbook I can't think of too many.

Does this mean he won't be an effective starting QB? No as Roman knows how to get the most out of these types of QB if he is allowed to.

Kaepernick came close to winning a super bowl and in 2013 they would have rolled the Broncos if they got past Seattle. Honestly I think Kaep could have a had a much longer stretch of high play if he was fully committed to football. I'm not talking about the obvious political stuff. Even before that, he did that whole vegan thing and lost a bunch of playing weight which wasn't the best thing for his playing career. A sign it was never completely football first for him. It absolutely has to be, if a player is to get on the level of the elite competitors in the game who build their life around this.

That's exactly why many of the opinions in this thread are stupid. We have to watch a couple more seasons to see if Lamar Jackson is going to be a guy who puts in the work to improve and takes advantage of the backing and resources of the billion dollar organization counting on him or if he is just going to give less than everything and try to ride his athletic gifts for as long as they can carry him.

Overall though, getting on-the-field Kaepernick wouldn't be a terrible outcome at all.

Probably far too early to tell and he was really thrown in at the deep end last year.  So with an off season learning the playbook, and the Ravens seemingly selling all out as a rushing offense, then he could be quite effective throwing the ball on play action.  But we need at least this upcoming season before we judge him on accuracy and football IQ.  His heart is unquestioned, his ability remains to be seen.  I wish him well.

Archived