Move the draft dates up

bomont

What does "right after free agency" mean?  Free agency is still going- there are a lot of guys out there still unsigned.

A good part of this is logistical- teams don't want to have to run the draft while they are also negotiating contracts with FAs and we want all these guys to have their pro days before they get drafted (and some schools might not want to run those in February.)

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

What does "right after free agency" mean?  Free agency is still going- there are a lot of guys out there still unsigned.

A good part of this is logistical- teams don't want to have to run the draft while they are also negotiating contracts with FAs and we want all these guys to have their pro days before they get drafted (and some schools might not want to run those in February.)

Good points and my bad. OK screw it, have the draft after any FA who anyone cares about has been signed. ;)  Say maybe 2-3 weeks in.

The teams need time to evaluate players after the Super Bowl. Plus the league doesn’t want combine and draft nonsense to take away from its biggest event. To push the draft earlier means pushing the Super Bowl earlier. The way it is now, the NFL is in the news for nearly the entire year. 

Plus the NFL wants "Pay attention to us" to be a year round event (they have to program a tv network!).  Slowest period in the NFL is the time between minicamps (which happen right after the draft) and training camp.  No way the NFL wants to make that dead period longer; if anything they would make it shorter.  Probably "more organized team activities for the rookies" would be the best way to do it, but it would require collective bargaining.

37 minutes ago, tom cody said:

In hockey and basketball the draft is before free agency, should be the same for football. For me the draft should be in mid March with free agency beginning in early April. 

I think the big question is "would the NFLPA go for this" or "what would he league have to give up to get the NFLPA to get to this."  Since, "signing a guy before the draft, buys you flexibility during the draft" is an incentive to sign players when their price is the highest.

Labor relations are a little higher in basketball and hockey (and the "how long until this guy is useful" timeline in hockey is closer to baseball than basketball or football anyway.)

On 3/28/2019 at 1:48 PM, Danger said:

Early-mid April is plenty of time. There's such a long dead period for us fans between early-mid march to basically may.

So the solution is to make a longer "dead period" between the draft and training camps starting in late July? 

I really wonder if the NFL can sell the NFLPA on "limitations on offseason programs imposed by the last CBA are hurting how we develop guys" and change the rules so developmental guys (like rookies and guys who Practice Squad eligible) get extra minicamps.  Considering that they gave away the rookie salary scale to insure that star veterans get paid last go around, this seems like an easier sell.

Also do something about the whole "guys going to school on the quarters system are ineligible for minicamps" since that rule is bizarre.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

So the solution is to make a longer "dead period" between the draft and training camps starting in late July? 

Yes, because by then people are getting out more because the weather is much nicer.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:10 PM, vikingsrule said:

I would prefer to see the draft start before free agency. But that's just me. I'd be curious to see how draft and free agency strategies change.,

Idk if the players would want that as the teams have a chance to fill needs for MUCH cheaper sooner and therefore may not need to spend and overpay on the veterans

Now the flip side of that is maybe teams overpay in free agency if they can't fill it in the draft but I think scenario 1 is more likely. 

Archived