Packfanfb's "4 weeks from the Draft" Mock

packfanfb

About 4 weeks from the draft and most of the pro days are over. Boards starting to take shape. 

Free Agency

Tre Boston (SAF) -- 2 years, 8.5m (2019 cap hit = $3.5m) 

BOS695248.png

I'm going to keep preaching that we sign Boston until he probably signs somewhere else. Until then, this is a no-brainer move IMO. With the speculation from Gute/LaFleur's pressers that Tramon is going to be a CB first in our defense this year, we obvious still have a huge hole at the safety position and need good players. Boston is a pair-made-in-heaven with Amos and can man the deep middle as he has done very well the past 2 seasons. Sign the man and don't think twice about it. The move also frees up the draft that much more in the early rounds. 

Draft

Round 1, Pick 12 -- Ed Oliver (IDL) -- Houston, 6'2", 287 lbs

1-36.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

IMO, the home-run pick at 12. Gives Pettine a weapon on the IDL who can play anywhere and should excel at the 3-tech. Athletic enough to play some on the EDGE and stout enough to play the 0-tech as he did a lot in college. Instant replacement for Daniels who can be let go after this season. 

Round 1, Pick 30 -- N'Keal Harry (WR) -- ASU, 6'2, 228 lbs 

gettyimages-1026052904.jpg?w=1000&h=600&

Packers have a lot of options at pick 30. Could go SAF, OL, EDGE, TE, CB, WR depending on the board. I think the rumors are true that Harry may be No. 1 on our WR board. Fits Gute's profile of the big, athletic WR who play inside or out. Pettine gets his guy at 12 and LaFleur gets a new weapon at 30. 

Round 2, Pick 44 -- Chase Winovich (EDGE) -- Michigan, 6'3", 256 lbs 

7607775.jpg

Pick 44 is another one where the choices are endless for GB. If we go Oliver/Harry in the 1st, I'm picturing either EDGE, OL or SAF at 44. Guys like Risner and Lindstrom are gone here so the choice is Winovich. Packers still need depth at EDGE. Fackrell is in a contract year, and while we added two "big EDGE" guys, Winovich represents the counter to the Smiths. A warrior who tested very well and gives 110% every play. Put him in a unit where he doesn't have to be "the guy" and he'll succeed. 

Round 3, Pick 75 -- Amani Hooker (DB) -- Iowa, 5'11", 210 lbs

GettyImages-859991060-1024x683.jpg

At pick 75, the top player on the board is Hooker. Guy screams Packers. Versatile secondary player who I listed as a "DB" because he's probably an instant candidate for the slot position and will probably play some safety and CB. Hopefully he's Micah Hyde, but even more athletic. 

Round 4, Pick 114 -- Max Scharping (OT) -- NIU, 6'6", 327 lbs 

download.0.jpg

Packers go OL in the 4th, which is probably later than I'd like ideally, but we only have so many picks. Scharping is a home-town boy who tested well in the agility drills and possesses great size. Provides depth now and becomes a candidate in the inevitable race to replace Bulaga after 2019. 

Round 4, Pick 118 -- Foster Moreau (TE), LSU, 6'4", 253 lbs

RPGBLLS3LVD6HI3QP55WDHE6NU.JPG

Packers land a TE in the 4th round. Moreau put up impressive numbers at the combine and falls into that category of prospects who probably will be better pros than college players on the field. Put him in LaFleur's system and he should have ample opportunity to excel as an all-around TE. 

Round 5, pick 150 -- Saquon Hampton (SAF), Rutgers, 6'1", 206 lbs

8948513.jpg

One of my sleepers in this draft. Unfortunately, Hampton performed so well at the combine and then again at his pro day, he could very well be gone by this point, but he's not being talked about. Played pretty well on a bad Rutgers team and adds another well-rounded player to the rebuilt SAF room. Unlike Hooker who will be a more versatile piece, Hampton is a pure safety. 

Round 6, Pick 185 -- Devine Ozigbo (RB) -- Nebraska, 6'0", 230 lbs

1062864540.jpg.0.jpg

Sleeper No. 2. Love Ozigbo as an addition to the RB room, especially with us switching to a ZBS. Big back who impressed at his pro day (combine snub). Posted a 4.54 40, 37 inch vertical and 19 bench reps. Patient runner with good vision, and has experience as a zone runner in 2018 at Nebraska. 

Round 6, Pick 194 -- Cole Holcomb (ILB) -- UNC, 6'1", 234 lbs

8660619.jpg

Under the radar ILB with good range skills. Lit up his pro day this week including a 4.53 40 and 39.5 vertical. Has a lot of flaws in this game which is why he's a late day-3 pick, but the traits are there to work with. We need depth at ILB. 

Round 7, pick 226 -- Trevon Wesco (TE/HB) -- WVU, 6'3", 267 lbs

wv-679-trevon-wesco-10NOV18-ww.jpg?fit=1

Wesco is limited athletically. Unlike most of the picks above, he had a pretty weak combine and won't impress anyone in shorts. He's also not necessarily a true TE, but can play both TE and H-back. Similar to a Luke Stocker who I thought the Packers would pursue in FA. His best trait? He's an absolute beast as a blocker, whether in-line or as a lead in the H-back role. Potential replacement for a Lewis-type role after 2019. 

• Like 7

Would not be at all upset about grabbing Winovich at 44 because I love high effort players that are tough as nails, and it sounds like he makes up for a lack of athleticism with strength, effort, and IQ.

Don't know if I'd take Harry in the 1st, but he's definitely a good player.  I think I'd rather take a flyer on Simmons at this spot though (even if we grab Oliver at 12) if he falls, but that's a big if.

Amani Hooker in the 3rd is a good pick up, especially if we don't get Adderly or CGJ before then.  Love his ball skills, especially his ability to go up and get the ball in the air.

As for RB, I think there are good options in rounds 4-6.  Qadree Ollison, Darrell Henderson, Elijah Holyfield, LJ Scott, to name a few.  I'm not as high on Ozigbo but I don't think he'd be a bad choice.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

I"m getting a draft crush on Oliver and Hooker, so I'm liking this draft.

I think WR at #30 is kind of a waste.  I think they can do better there, but you can't argue against giving Rodgers more weapons.

Shapring is interesting.  I don't see a guard there at all.  I see a RT who doesn't have much strength.  I watched enough of him to know that he has very little "nasty" in him.  I don't like the value of that pick either.  But, he's a RT candidate in a year or two.

• Like 1