Obscure/Nostalgic Players

BleedTheClock

This thread really takes me back to the heyday of NFL Primetime and Chris Berman and Tom Jackson.

Seriously I'm reading this thread with the Berman nicknames already inserted.

That and somebody mentioned Stinkston and Trash.

Maybe I should make a thread.

Two guys that popped into my head recently were former linebacker Devon Kirkland, and former nose tackle Ted Washington. 

Kirkland was floating around 270 plus pounds, but still moved well for a linebacker of his size. He was just a massive dude. Most hefty linebacker I remember seeing play, and was actually effective for what he was asked to do.

Ted Washington was maybe the best space eater ever. He came in apparently at about 300 pounds, but played until age 39 on various teams, and by the end was up to 365 plus pounds. That's nutty. I'm surprised he just never collapsed on the field. Look how small he made Warren Sapp look.

ted-washington-702f3f60-a8b2-4ff2-828d-c

It's funny, because even though both Sapp and Washington were together two years, the Raiders had one of the worst run defenses. 

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Two guys that popped into my head recently were former linebacker Devon Kirkland, and former nose tackle Ted Washington. 

Kirkland was floating around 270 plus pounds, but still moved well for a linebacker of his size. He was just a massive dude. Most hefty linebacker I remember seeing play, and was actually effective for what he was asked to do.

Ted Washington was maybe the best space eater ever. He came in apparently at about 300 pounds, but played until age 39 on various teams, and by the end was up to 365 plus pounds. That's nutty. I'm surprised he just never collapsed on the field. Look how small he made Warren Sapp look.

It's funny, because even though both Sapp and Washington were together two years, the Raiders had one of the worst run defenses. 

I always loved fellow fatty Gilbert Brown

randmid_1296057077_gilbertbrown.jpg

fbc30b3fd45a2546fbdf330dee5bcce6.jpg

Willie Parker.  He was one of my favorite players when I first starting getting into football.  He was fast as hell (4.28 40), played at North Carolina, and it was cool he was able to start for such a great team despite going undrafted.

His career flamed out fast though. He had 3 consecutive seasons with 1400+ yards, then missed some games in 2008 and by 2010 was out of the league completely.  But can't complain too much about a 6 year career that saw 2 Super Bowl rings and one of the best plays in Super Bowl history:

On 4/2/2019 at 1:49 PM, ChazStandard said:

Wasn't that Mike Furrey?

Contribution to the thread - will always look back fondly on Lawfirm. Just a perfect role-player. Limited, but efficient and reliable.

And a couple of true no-names: Jonas Gray and Brian Tyms. Half of Gray's career yards and 80% of his touchdowns came in one primetime game against the Colts, he was late to practice the next week, got benched and was never heard from again. Brian Tyms was a pre-season favourite in the Pats subforum, caught rainbows from Jimmy G, he was going to be our secret weapon. In his first game back from suspension in the regular season he caught a 50 yard TD from Brady, Randy Moss style, got injured on the play and never played in the NFL again. He's in the AAF right now.

Mike Furrey was actually a WR for the Rams shortly after the The Greatest Show on Turf. The Rams moved him to safety (very talent depleted roster) and then he joined the Lions after a season or 2.

I grew up a Packers fan, but I didn't really get into more seriously watching until around 2005. Though Brett was still awesome back then (well, not particularly in 2005, but in general)  the player I liked the most was a monster of a D-end. Aaron Kampman. 

Sadly he left the team after we switched to a 3-4 system, being none too excited at having to stand up and rush. 

Awesome, awesome player for a short time though. 2005-2008 were four monster seasons. 

0n87ZOg.png

On 4/6/2019 at 8:57 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

This thread really takes me back to the heyday of NFL Primetime and Chris Berman and Tom Jackson.

Seriously I'm reading this thread with the Berman nicknames already inserted.

That and somebody mentioned Stinkston and Trash.

Maybe I should make a thread.

I loved the way Berman announced Marty Booker, who coincidentally is also a nostalgic player for me.

A lot of kick returners too since that position isn’t what it once was:

Jermaine Lewis

Brian Mitchell

Tim Dwight 

Allen Rossum 

Michael Lewis

Martay Jenkins

And Jeremy Bloom: the most interesting man in the world and part time pre season punt returner.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:24 AM, PapaShogun said:

I remember that year they had Ted Washington take a complete physical, and it was revealed that his blood type was Chocolate Milk.

Archived