cut jaelen strong

mistakey

@mistakey creates a no-nonsense thread with an obvious take about cutting a flat-earther. And somehow it has turned into all this. This should have been the least controversial thread ever. We all could have just come in and said “I agree” and that would have been fine. It would have avoided this slippery slope of people really stepping up and taking off the mask. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

@mistakey creates a no-nonsense thread with an obvious take about cutting a flat-earther. And somehow it has turned into all this. This should have been the least controversial thread ever. We all could have just come in and said “I agree” and that would have been fine. It would have avoided this slippery slope of people really stepping up and taking off the mask. 

Though this talk has flirted with forum rules, most have had a polite conversation, which is good around these topics. 

I have a lot of freinds who believe  Christian's-conspiracy theories, and I love them to death. I dont agree with all their perspectives, but I'd do anything for them. 

I know we came here to talk ball, but crap all is happening football wise for 6 months. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

Though this talk has flirted with forum rules, most have had a polite conversation, which is good around these topics. 

I have a lot of freinds who believe  Christian's-conspiracy theories, and I love them to death. I dont agree with all their perspectives, but I'd do anything for them. 

I know we came here to talk ball, but crap all is happening football wise for 6 months. 

I’m just busting some balls. 

But seriously, the earth is round and vaccines keep people from dying. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bruceb said:

I avoid MDs like the plague.

Go for an annual physical and periodic colonoscopies (Dad died of colon cancer).

Going to an annual physical and getting preventative screenings isn’t avoiding the MD at all costs. 😂 

The one prescription is for slightly high blood pressure that I think is mostly attributable to work and family stress and a diet that more resembles that of a 19 year old (youngest man child's age tomorrow) than what it should be for an almost 67.

Mother had high blood pressure so I am hedging my bet.

The alternatives, I am told by the MD, are stroke or heart attack.

That’s not bad.  Lots of guys half your age are on a lot more than that.  You’re a lucky man.

I understand that.

The Salk vaccine is one thing, though; the flu du jour is quite another.

Jesus I have a hard time arguing this, but I’ve seen young, healthy people die from the flu.  It’s not necessarily some minor thing. Full disclosure, I don’t always get one.  My kids do though.

Not to mention (never have understood that expression since I am going to mention it) that as a conspiracy theorist I always consider the possibility that the shots are a delivery system for the federal government.

Delivery system for what?

You must know, too, that I come from a time when drinking 8-10 ounces of Wild Turkey 101, wrapping yourself in blankets and sleeping/sweating for 14 hours seemed to cure whatever ailed you.

You must know this didn’t actually cure anything... you had a viral infection that your body’s immune system eventually managed.  If booze and sleeping cure illness I’m gonna live forever.

Im assuming everyone is having a little fun with their approach to vaccines, but there’s truly no debate about them amongst educated people tbh.  

@bruceb if you want to pass on the flu vaccine, that’s your choice, but at your age I’d highly recommend the pneumonia vaccine and the shingles vaccine if you haven’t got them yet. The first may save your life, the second a whole lot of discomfort and misery.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think flu shots are necessary for healthy people.

Eh, when I worked bedside we had plenty of young people admitted for the flu.  Some eventually made it to the ICU.  Some didn’t make it home.  I remember we had two early twenty somethings die within a few days of each other.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

They will lower your chances of getting the flu if they guessed the popular strains right but a healthy person should survive the flu and build up their own immunity.

That’s my issue with the flu shot is a lot of the time they (the CDC) don’t guess very well.  Most other vaccines have a much higher level f effectiveness.

I've never gotten the flu (and so I've never gotten the flu shot) and I'm 31.

However, this year will be the first year I get the flu shot. It's not just for my sake, but for others as well. You can easily 'catch/carry' it and not really be impacted by it, but spread it to other people who are more vulnerable.

Edited by Vee-Rex

10 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

I've never gotten the flu (and so I've never gotten the flu shot) and I'm 31.

However, this year will be the first year I get the flu shot. It's not just for my sake, but for others as well. You can easily 'catch/carry' it and not really be impacted by it, but spread it to other people who are more vulnerable.

I never got the flu til I moved to NY.  People are gross and the subways are gross.  I get the flu shot now and It def doesn’t always work but I haven’t gotten autism yet so no harm no foul

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

if you want to pass on the flu vaccine, that’s your choice, but at your age I’d highly recommend the pneumonia vaccine and the shingles vaccine

I will consider these, although I am pretty sure that my loathing of needles and people putting stuff into my body will win out.