When did you fall in love with football?

Kiwibrown

47 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

1999/2000, sometime that season. Just starting high school, and some friends were talking about it. Decided to give it a go - it was snowy conditions, and I remember hearing the QB screaming his cadence - and I was hooked. Mesmerised. 

To this day, QB cadence is one of my fav things about the sport. Fires me up, for some reason.

Oh yeah. Do you get your wife to scream 'Omaha' at you?

3 hours ago, Lilseb93 said:

I met Marino when I was a little kid. He signed my football. The rest is history although the team has been mediocre most of my life. 

I was blessed by Reggie White as a baby, but I obviously have no recollection of that.

I’m gonna give a caveman answer to this: I fell in love with the physical nature of football the moment I was introduced to it.   I was also drawn to the general attitude of players/coaches compared to other sports.  

When I was a little dude my favorite animal was Tigers so I thought the Begals were cool lol but then Joe Montana happened. For Halloween I got my hands on a Riddell (football helmet/Jersey/pants) 9er Montana set. Joe gets traded to Chiefs and I followed him over and been in football pain ever since. 😉

Since I was a child in the late 70s. My earliest memories was when the Steelers beat the Cowboys in Super Bowl XIV and my dad was actually a Cowboy fan. I remember my mom jokingly telling me to throw kleenex at my dad so he could wipe his tears. I didn't want to because I thought that was mean. lol The next year when the Steelers beat the Rams in the Super Bowl is probably the earliest I could remember the actual game. It was a long wait for me to see the Steelers once again in another Super Bowl and even a longer wait to see them win it again.

Literally as a distraction when I was a kid. Parents started fighting, dad started disappearing for months at a time so I turned to it and fell hard for it. First game I paid attention to and enjoyed was the Bears Titans game that ended in a safety in 2004 or so

I was stationed at a British Army barracks in late December 1985, bored on a Monday evening when one of my Army buddies said, "Hey, American Football highlights show will be on TV in the NAAFI (our version of your USOs)".  So with nothing better to do I trudged down there, and watched a guy called Joe Montana getting killed on nearly every play by some team called the New York Giants.  (It was the 17-3 playoff loss to the G men).  But this guy Joe dusted himself down and got back up every time only to get levelled again and again.  I remember thinking I'd never seen a sport like this before, nor had I seen a guy with such courage on a sports field before.  So I decided to follow the 49ers from then on - little knowing how lucky I was to have chosen that team.  The rest as they say is history.  

Archived