If Not OL.... a Draft Poll

The Gnat

If not OL.....  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What Would Be Your First Position Choice?

2. 2. What would be your second choice?

I thought it would be fun to do this in a poll. 

If the sky collapses and Dillard, Williams, Taylor, Ford, Bradburry, etc. every potential first round OL are gone by the time the Vikings pick, and the next one on the board is a massive reach, what position would you be cool with the Vikings drafting, and what player would you be cool with the Vikings drafting? You'll have to pick the player yourself in a post.

If I can't take OL, my next choice is DT. If I can't have a DT, I'm taking a DE. 

Basically win in the trenches. It's how this team is built to win. It's not built to win on the arm of a mediocre QB. We need to dominate the LOS on defense and have a pass rush that's difficult to manage.

I basically interpreted this question as: If the Vikings were picking first overall but couldn't take OL, what would you be looking to do.

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to take the best QB in the class. After that, I went with DT.  I haven't done any analysis of the QBs in the draft class though. If I had, perhaps I would have selected DT first instead of being the only person that chose QB. Based on what I have read, I just am assuming that one of the top QBs is someone that would be projected to be a long-term franchise QB.

There is a lot of glowing media accounts of the short QB from OK. I only ever watched one game of his. That game was impressive but I would need more information than that on any player before selecting them in the first round. For sure, that is where I would be starting in-depth analysis, which is why I chose QB first. Actually, I would be starting there even if I was allowed to pick an offensive lineman.

Also, while I picked DT second, there is a very good chance that after a little more scrutiny I would actually be picking a DE. 

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I basically interpreted this question as: If the Vikings were picking first overall but couldn't take OL, what would you be looking to do.

Interesting. I think it is implied we're still picking at 18 but it doesn't explicitly state that.

Entertaining your idea, I think Q. Williams or Bosa would have to be the pick.

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

Interesting. I think it is implied we're still picking at 18 but it doesn't explicitly state that.

Entertaining your idea, I think Q. Williams or Bosa would have to be the pick.

Yeah, but since I don't know who is off the board I had to assume all non-OL players are still available. None of us know who actually would be there. It would be a shame to miss out on an Aaron Rodgers that was falling into the 20s after not doing analysis based on assuming he would be already selected. 

And yeah, my thoughts are the same on Q Williams and Bosa.

If eliminating some of the players outside OL, we would have to know who was eliminated before answering the question. The hypothetical seemed to only eliminated OL.

If not drafting a lineman?

I honestly don’t care positionally, I just hope we take the best player to help the team at a position of need.

We know most likely these spots won’t be QB, CB, and maybe LB? I threw out RB, and Safety because I don’t have one rated in my top 30 players.

Preferably I am looking to help improve the offense, and open it up even more. 

Outside of that, I’m pretty open. 

TE I would not be ABSOLUTELY excited about it, and am usually against it, but there are a couple of guys, Hockenson & Fant, that I would be fine with. They are both top 20 players, and both have the ability to actually effect an offense in a positive way. 

WR would absolutely drive some people mad, but I wouldn’t absolutely hate it either. I am higher on a lot of these WR’s than most and I really believe there is some impact players. 

All I want is for us to stick to the plan we have done, don’t reach on some player just because we need to fill a whole. Let it come to you. There will be an offensive lineman drafted early, but it makes so sense to draft someone that may be available at #50 and just draft them at #18.

id much rather just trade down and take a guy of that caliber if it is at all possible. 

If we miss out on one of the first round offensive linemen...I will be throwing a tantrum...which would probably end in a self-inflicted injury...like a broken foot from trying to kick the cat and missing...I would most likely be in the ER or under arrest (anyone willing to post my bail??) I doubt I would really care who they drafted then!!  :D

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

OL. There will still be a starter, that's not a reach for a supposedly loaded (other than 1 spot) team. Pick a starter.

If not, DT or DE, but seriously, if there is a starting OL, take him. If not, well, that's impossible.

I was thinking that this exercise ruled out trading into a position where a starting lineman was available so I completely ignored that. But yeah, if the picking of starting linemen are getting thin the Vikings can trade up and get one. 

Personally, I would hate trading up to get an offensive lineman but it may be better than getting no starting offensive linemen at all.

I would feel about the same about such a trade as I felt about the Sam Bradford trade when it happened -- I thought it was hideous. At least that terrible trade had a cause that was not self-inflicted so I might hate the trade up for an offensive lineman even more.

But yeah, as awful as the trade would be it would be worse to not get a starting offensive lineman.

Archived