If Not OL.... a Draft Poll

The Gnat

If not OL.....  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What Would Be Your First Position Choice?

2. 2. What would be your second choice?

TE is definitely tempting if Hockenson is there as my second choice against DE. DE is somewhat concerning to me, if Griffen continues on his regression from last year (even the year prior he had a slow finish) he's not going to be a viable starter in 2020. Weatherly looks promising but can he start and will he out price himself as a FA. Also need to lock up Alexander who's proving to be a steady slot CB.

You're possibly looking at Hunter, Bower, Aruna and Odinigno as your 4 DEs, that has to be a problem. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

TE is definitely tempting if Hockenson is there as my second choice against DE. DE is somewhat concerning to me, if Griffen continues on his regression from last year (even the year prior he had a slow finish) he's not going to be a viable starter in 2020. Weatherly looks promising but can he start and will he out price himself as a FA. Also need to lock up Alexander who's proving to be a steady slot CB.

You're possibly looking at Hunter, Bower, Aruna and Odinigno as your 4 DEs, that has to be a problem. 

And if he performs well he may not be here either....

According to a league source, the last three years of Griffen’s contract will void automatically if he plays 57 percent of snaps or gets six sacks. It’s a stipulation that benefits the organization, which isn’t committing itself to Griffen long-term. It allows the Vikings to keep one of their top defenders while keeping their eye on the horizon.

Bottom line: If Griffen plays well this season, he’ll have a shot at free agency in 2020 – his next shot to bet on himself.

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/28288/why-staying-in-minnesota-could-prolong-everson-griffens-career

I pushed DE last offseason too, and while Weatherly performed well in 2018, I think we still need to find our next piece. 

If not OL, then its 3 tech or Edge for me. Likely at # 18 there will be a very talented DE, so that would be my choice. At 3 tech, i think the top 2 (williams, Oliver) will be gone. I dont wanna use our 1st on Simmons after that injury, and Wilkins is nice but i think hes like 24 yrs old? So it would be DE for me. I really like Brian Burns from what ive seen, needs to get stronger but he has some serious juice off the edge. Im not as high on Ferrell, but he wouldnt be terrible. CB, RB, QB, LB, S, WR are all positions im 99% sure we wont take in the first, and if its not OL then that really narrows it down. 

If we dont go OL at 18 my dream scenario is:

1. Brian Burns, Edge
2. Chris Lindstrom, G
3. Kahale Warring, TE

A year as a rotational piece & under coach Patterson, and Burns could be a 10+ sack per year guy imo. Weatherly a FA next year & Everson likely gone. Although as i stated in the other thread i dont really see Min doing this, with their recent success of developing mid-late round guys. 

I notice that nobody has selected CB as their first choice other than OL.

Consider this hypothetical, with OL coming off the board fast and furious, Greedy Williams is the top player on the Vikings board when they are on the clock. They have a standing offer of a high second for Trae Waynes. Does Rick pull the trigger on Greedy Williams and trade away Waynes to alleviate cap issues?

Or does Rick select Williams and still hang onto Waynes too? :P

53 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I notice that nobody has selected CB as their first choice other than OL.

Consider this hypothetical, with OL coming off the board fast and furious, Greedy Williams is the top player on the Vikings board when they are on the clock. They have a standing offer of a high second for Trae Waynes. Does Rick pull the trigger on Greedy Williams and trade away Waynes to alleviate cap issues?

Or does Rick select Williams and still hang onto Waynes too? :P

No.  I think they will still add to the CB stable, but it'll be late in the draft, even if they were to trade Waynes.  

My priorities if the good OL aren't there would be DT and then TE.  TE would mainly be because if the OL aren't there and the DTs aren't there either, that would have to mean that Hockenson and/or Fant are there, so they would likely be the BPAs.  

Just now, dc_vikingfan said:

I wouldn't be completely against CB. Waynes most likely will be gone next year, Rhodes play may continue to decline. However, DT,DE,TE talent are bigger needs and the talent level is on par with CB 

I don't think this team needs 4 first round CBs to go with Alexander and Hill. It's complete overkill. Even if the best CB falls, I'd pass.

Archived