QB Sudfeld will play all 4 Quarters Week 4 of Preseason

MKnight82

Just now, turtle28 said:

For me it comes down to which player you feel that you may lose and not b able to keep on your practice squad. Also, positional value. 

I doubt that there's a huge clamoring for Nate Sudfeld in the front offices of the 31 other franchises. I also question that there is more positional in a "3rd string quarterback" versus a "depth/special teams player."

Just now, turtle28 said:

I don't see JHC getting scooped up by anyone or some of the receivers that played well.

Receivers like Hazel and Pascal? They probably pass through waivers with little trouble. Davis? Eh, possibly could get scooped, but I can understand gambling there. Not sure I would say the same about JHC.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Huh?

It seems to be you're kind of indererent to Nate as most of us are. I was just wondering why you care so much about putting him on the practice squad if you really don't think much about him. If he's not worth keeping on the 53 man roster, then why keep him at all?

Just now, turtle28 said:

It seems to be you're kind of indererent to Nate as most of us are. I was just wondering why you care so much about putting him on the practice squad if you really don't think much about him. If he's not worth keeping on the 53 man roster, then why keep him at all?

Need arms for practice.  Someone has to run the scout team.  

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

I doubt that there's a huge clamoring for Nate Sudfeld in the front offices of the 31 other franchises. I also question that there is more positional in a "3rd string quarterback" versus a "depth/special teams player."

Receivers like Hazel and Pascal? They probably pass through waivers with little trouble. Davis? Eh, possibly could get scooped, but I can understand gambling there. Not sure I would say the same about JHC.

Teams alsoways have their own guys that they've worked with all offseason or for the past few seasons that they would take over another teams player. I think JHC is pretty safe on the practice squad, as is Marley, Robertson, Francis or Lanier, Smithson, McLure, Catalina, Crowley, Brown, Davis, Hazel, Pascal, Sprinkle, etc, etc

Just now, turtle28 said:

Teams alsoways have their own guys that they've worked with all offseason or for the past few seasons that they would take over another teams player. I think JHC is pretty safe on the practice squad, as is Marley, Robertson, Francis or Lanier, Smithson, McLure, Catalina, Crowley, Brown, Davis, Hazel, Pascal, Sprinkle, etc, etc

Just as a point: you mentioned 13 people there (assuming you think Francis or Lanier makes the final roster). By definition, three of those guys aren't going to make the squad.

Also, front offices do watch the final preseason games for guys who raise their eyebrows. A 41 yard INT TD return raises eyebrows. Combined with his play in the other games, I don't think JHC is as safe a cut as you think.

Just now, turtle28 said:
Just now, MKnight82 said:

Would anyone really care if someone stole this guy?  Put him on the P.S.

Why do you care if someone doesn't?

I get @MKnight82's position: if we submit him to the waiver process and someone picks him, will we really be that upset?

If they don't claim him, we still keep him, provided he signs onto our practice squad. Note that proviso because it is not a guarantee. It makes the most sense for the player, but they are free to sign elsewhere if they prefer.

Just now, turtle28 said:

If the coaching staff/front office guys think that Sudfeld can develop into at least a backup QB, keeping him on the practice squad where you can keep an eye on (and help mold) his development makes a ton of sense. The cost is also significantly reduced. Finally it helps your overall roster to bolster in other places.

We've invested a year , and a preseason and what a 6th round draft choice in this guy. He has some talent . He's big, his arm is strong and he can run . I saw him throw on the run last night.  He can run the offense. Q B's are THE rare commodity. That's why I don't want to risk him walking away .. But so be it - what will be will be.  

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

We've invested a year , and a preseason and what a 6th round draft choice in this guy. He has some talent . He's big, his arm is strong and he can run . I saw him throw on the run last night.  He can run the offense. Q B's are THE rare commodity. That's why I don't want to risk him walking away .. But so be it - what will be will be.  

I'll take your word for it since I could not see the game. From every other time I have seen him, I disagree with the bolded.

Archived