Quinn traded!!!

Swampbilly

3 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

A 2020 6th is weak, but it's better than cutting him. 

Essentially this.  The 6th rounder doesn't move the needle at all, but it's still better than outright cutting Quinn for nothing.  Rollover the money until we have some more pieces in place; opens up a spot for a young player to see if they have what it takes; and likely strengthens the tank.....er......rebuild.  Find a taker for Jones now.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Shocked we haven't tried shipping him off yet.

I’m sure we have tried to trade Jones, but he’s 31 years old and has a huge salary.........Considering Quinn isn’t even 30 yet and plays a premiere position successfully and we barely got something for him.......I don’t predict anyone giving anything for Jones, possibly a player that has been a bust.  We take some big cap hits if we outright cut him.

Maybe I’m completely wrong and Jones is part of a draft day trade that we are keeping quiet on ( fingers crossed )......but I highly doubt it.

1 hour ago, Swampbilly said:

I’m sure we have tried to trade Jones, but he’s 31 years old and has a huge salary.....

Not huge because Miami would pay the signing bonus/guaranteed portion. Maybe after the draft when some contenders still don't like their safety situation...

4 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Not huge because Miami would pay the signing bonus/guaranteed portion. Maybe after the draft when some contenders still don't like their safety situation...

I’m sure we would pay for the portions of Jones salary that you mention, but even then it’s still huge.  He is the 5th highest paid safety in the league and his contract pays him an average of $12 Mil a year.  If we outright released him we would carry a dead cap hit of $25.35 Mil this year and $10.19 Mil next year.  If released in 2021 the dead cap hit would be just over $4 Mil, which is significant but not crazy.  He will be 33 years old in 2021.  For us to trade him he would likely need to rework his contract, but I don’t see him being very willing to do that since we owe him roughly $15 Mil towards his current guarantee of $35 Mil.

Maybe if we paid about half of the roughly $15Mil he gets this year then there could be interest, but given Jones age it would have to be a team that feels they are just a safety away from a Super Bowl run.  I’m not sure that team exists, but I’ll be happy if it does.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/reshad-jones-6969/

8 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

As long as he's healthy, I don't 12M is too much for playoff teams that could use him, like the Colts and Chiefs.

I’m sure that’s part of the problem.  He just had shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum in February, and he’s still rehabbing it now.

He’s a pro bowl caliber player but he’s on the wrong side of 30 which means increased injury concerns.  Availability is the best ability.

” Hey guys we just signed this pro bowl caliber Safety, for 1 year $8 Mil, that can be our missing piece.........Nevermind, he got hurt getting off the plane and is out for the season “.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:12 PM, FinSting said:

Thinking he'll be gone before opening day. Jones can help a contender team for sure. 

I hope so, but not because he can’t play......His performance has been great the last few years......I just hate his cap hit.

Not to beat a dead horse but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he isn’t a Dolphin next season, but if he does get traded I’ll be cheering for him.

If he is a Phin next season then I’ll still be cheering for him.

Archived