Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheVillain112

Andy Dalton's Future

Recommended Posts

Seems like this will be a make or break year for Andy:

I'm good with this plan.  Let's avoid this mediocre QB class, and then draft one if Dalton doesn't step up in 2020...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this was is a reminder that we usually re-sign our top players with a year left.  Dalton will probably have a renaissance under Taylor and get a new contract.  If not, tank for Trevor in 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only if he signs another team friendly contract.  I'm not paying megabucks for a QB that doesn't elevate the guys around him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

Only if he signs another team friendly contract.  I'm not paying megabucks for a QB that doesn't elevate the guys around him.

I agree, but the club probably doesn't.

His last deal was team friendly.  He probably signs another team friendly one after a good year this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, hear me out.  This years first, next years first, and Andy Dalton for Russell Wilson.  Then we pay Wilson $32M/year.  Do it Cincy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalton will turn 32 during this season and any extension will start in essentially his age 34 season.  Given his injury history and very up and down play over the years, the Bengals should probably balk at any extension unless Dalton wants to resign an even more team friendly deal than he has now.  I think if Haskins is there at 11, we take him with the idea that he sits 1-2 years behind Dalton.  We only pull that trigger if he is there though, we won't give up assets to get him.  If Haskins is gone, then we wait until next year for QB and maybe take someone day 3 to groom as a long term backup, because Driskell isn't that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're not going to trade Dalton and 2 firsts to anyone.  If we take Haskins (or someone else in the first) we'd probably keep Dalton as a mentor but could in theory make him available in trade. I'd bet the Redskins would offer a 3rd for him. 

I don't think we need to draft a QB at all unless we get a shot at Haskins or Murray. If one of them falls past Jacksonville, I'd be tempted to move up, paying no more than our 3rd, to get him. That would give us a brighter future at the most important position. Otherwise, keep Dalton and keep our options open for 2020.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We're not going to trade Dalton and 2 firsts to anyone.  If we take Haskins (or someone else in the first) we'd probably keep Dalton as a mentor but could in theory make him available in trade. I'd bet the Redskins would offer a 3rd for him. 

I don't think we need to draft a QB at all unless we get a shot at Haskins or Murray. If one of them falls past Jacksonville, I'd be tempted to move up, paying no more than our 3rd, to get him. That would give us a brighter future at the most important position. Otherwise, keep Dalton and keep our options open for 2020.

 

If Rypien is there on day 3, he's a good depth guy with upside that can maybe surprise and have a good shot at being a long term backup.  Driskel isn't that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could get a Trace McSorley or Jake Browning type player with a 6th round comp pick. If you just want to have some competition for Driskel. Or we could sign a vet like Chad Henne. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Ok, hear me out.  This years first, next years first, and Andy Dalton for Russell Wilson.  Then we pay Wilson $32M/year.  Do it Cincy...

Are they shopping him?  Seems like a madden trade to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seattle's not shopping Wilson. He's going into the last year of his contract and said he wanted an extension done by April 15. He's expected to get a huge deal that will make him the highest paid QB. So Jack del Rio, now a commentator suggested Seattle trade Wilson for what they can get for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, theJ said:

Are they shopping him?  Seems like a madden trade to me...

Yeah, that ain't happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×