I come in peace...

RaidersAreOne

He hasn’t been the same player since the season Denver won the SB.  He has been banged up, but I also think some of it had to do with a role change.  Danny Trevathan was Denver’s cover LB during the SB run and it allowed Marshall to do what he does best and attack the LOS and chase sideline to sideline.  After Trevathan left Marshall took on more responsibilities in coverage and just never excelled once that happened. 

5 hours ago, germ-x said:

He hasn’t been the same player since the season Denver won the SB.  He has been banged up, but I also think some of it had to do with a role change.  Danny Trevathan was Denver’s cover LB during the SB run and it allowed Marshall to do what he does best and attack the LOS and chase sideline to sideline.  After Trevathan left Marshall took on more responsibilities in coverage and just never excelled once that happened. 

Unless I'm misremembering, David Bruton used to replace Trevathan on 3rd downs, and Trevathan was more downhill while Marshall was kept clean and allowed to roam. Denver hardly ran any nickel until the AFC Championship game where Brady kept missing James White when Trevathan covered him. 

8 hours ago, germ-x said:

This. When Marshall was healthy he was phenomenal vs the run. But coverage was aways a weak point of his, and while Bruton did replace Trevathan on 3rd downs occasionally, Danny was still the one primarily responsible for covering RB's out of the backfield on 1st and 2nd down. After Trevathan left, this proved to be a glaring weak point in Marshalls game; look no further than what Atlanta did to us in 2016. This proved to be a major Achilles heel for us that followed for years as other teams began to copy that game plan. Marshall did improve his coverage ability with the weight loss, but unfortunately that also effected his ability to stay healthy. So I guess I would say this: if you can pair him with another LB who excels in coverage, and Marshall can focus on what he does best then you just got a hell of a player. If not, then expect to be disappointed. 

JG and the Raiders  will be one of the teams to totally tankj in '20 for the rights to the #1 overall pick in the '21 draft.  I don't think he is under any real pressure to win now, can bide his time and come away with a QB that proves every game that he can play at a high level.  We will have to see what TL does the next two years, but if he can maintain the high level of '18,  the '20 season might be remarkable  in how many teams just can't seem to win and instead go for the 0-16 record and TL as their next QB.  Just  an old man's whimsy.  

On 4/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, honkeytonk said:

JG and the Raiders  will be one of the teams to totally tankj in '20 for the rights to the #1 overall pick in the '21 draft.  I don't think he is under any real pressure to win now, can bide his time and come away with a QB that proves every game that he can play at a high level.  We will have to see what TL does the next two years, but if he can maintain the high level of '18,  the '20 season might be remarkable  in how many teams just can't seem to win and instead go for the 0-16 record and TL as their next QB.  Just  an old man's whimsy.  

One old man to another, seems that great QB's don't necessarily translate into championships. Put them in the right spot and they can, but no QB has ever won a ring by himself. I'm always a bit more concerned about the other 52 players on the roster. 

On 4/5/2019 at 8:50 PM, AKRNA said:

One old man to another, seems that great QB's don't necessarily translate into championships. Put them in the right spot and they can, but no QB has ever won a ring by himself. I'm always a bit more concerned about the other 52 players on the roster. 

Aaron Rodgers in 2010 was the closest I've seen but even then, their D showed up in the big game.

Archived