Bears trade Howard to the Eagles

beardown3231

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Because he's not a good fit for the offense. I loved the kid, don't get me wrong, but he's just not a fit for what Nagy wants to do.

• According to NFGSIS, the team averaged 4.78 yards per play in the five most frequently used lineups in which Howard was used.
  • In the five most-used lineups that didn’t include Howard, they averaged 6.8 yards per play.
  • The big difference came in the passing game, where they averaged 7 yards per pass play without Howard and 4.92 with him.

Great, now normalize this for down and distance...

35 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

This whole situation concerns me. First of all Howard is a mid twenty something year old bell cow running back. For those who want to say he's in decline for the last three years are the same guys that were mad at Fox the unimaginative offense he had and the eight or nine men in a box to stop in the run. 

Does it bother anyone else that PHILLY traded for Howard and not like Baltimore, Buffalo, or any of the other run first type offenses. Just typing this makes me re think the whole hell how statement. My point originally was obviously he's not a fit in ther coach's opinion but the team the runs the EXACT same offense was willing to give up a pick to get him. 

This whole situation screams to me Greg Olsen. Productive player just about the only offensive player the Bears had at one point. New offense comes in and all of a sudden he's not a "fit". The bears trade him for a bag of magic beans and Olsen has possibly a HOF career and couldn't find a decent TE for a decade. I gotta feeling this one is gonna bite the Bears in the end

Paragraph 1- I honestly don't know what to make of it. The last sentence of it doesn't have anything to do with the thread.

Paragraph 2- it shouldn't bother you. Pedersen doesn't run the EXACT offense. He has made a commitment to having a power back on his roster. Reid hasn't, Nagy hasn't. As for the teams involved, it just shows that even teams that want to run the ball (ie: Baltimore) didn't find a use for Howard.

Paragraph 3- Olsen is a borderline HOF tight end. If Howard ends up that way, good on him, but it's looking like he may not be in the NFL in 2023 yet alone a great player

52 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

276 Touches

10 Explosive Plays

2 less carries in 2018 as he did in his rookie season and about 300 less yards

44 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Sign Spencer Ware

Draft Trayveon Williams

Davis

Ware

Cohen

Williams

All can run and all can catch.

That's crowded. Draft Williams and forget about Ware or vice versa

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Sign Spencer Ware

Draft Trayveon Williams

Davis

Ware

Cohen

Williams

All can run and all can catch.

I don't love Trayveon Williams (at least not yet anyway) but I think he'd be a good fit in this offense. I would lean toward Devin Singletary because I love his short-area burst/quickness but as a 3-down back Williams would be good.

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

This whole situation concerns me. First of all Howard is a mid twenty something year old bell cow running back. For those who want to say he's in decline for the last three years are the same guys that were mad at Fox the unimaginative offense he had and the eight or nine men in a box to stop in the run. 

Does it bother anyone else that PHILLY traded for Howard and not like Baltimore, Buffalo, or any of the other run first type offenses. Just typing this makes me re think the whole hell how statement. My point originally was obviously he's not a fit in ther coach's opinion but the team the runs the EXACT same offense was willing to give up a pick to get him. 

No, because Baltimore signed Ingram to go with Dixon and Edwards and Buffalo signed Gore to go with McCoy - they had no purpose for him. Philly though, had some garbage backs playing for them towards the end of the year ... josh adams and who? Ajayi is coming off a torn ACL and is a FA.

JH is a good, not great back. He made our offense pretty predictable when he was in the game, which i'm sure nagy didnt love. also, him being in decline and fox having an unimaginative offense aren't mutually exclusive events, they can both be true at the same time.

It's pretty obvious we are going to grab a RB with one of our first picks. having davis, cohen, draft pick, and howard is a full back field - hell, most people would expect jh to be traded during the draft.

yes, we didn't get picks this year, but a 6th that could be a 5th is likely better than we would have gotten as a comp pick, which would have come in 2021 - at least we get the pick in 2020

and in the grand scheme of things, 2M isn't a ton of money, but it's an increase from last year (700k), and any money we can clear will only help us in the future (hello Cody extension)

I think literally nothing about this move:

1. Mike Davis is going to see legit playing time...I know its not a name but he is more than just a body....good player

2. Cordelle Patterson will see 2-3 touches a game, Nagy even said, no RB see's a ton of touches in this offense....2-3 for Cordelle will be alot

3. Honestly, Spencer Ware is still out here if we want him and could easily do the job.... Cohen was freaking awesome already, we are just scared because of his size

4. We still got Ryan Nall or whoever the new flavor of the month RB will be that we can get as a UDFA

This is about what I expected as far as compensation goes. Howard is a great, likeable kid. Howard is an average NFL RB with a highly replaceable skill set. Both these things can be (and are) true. That we didn’t get a 2019 pick says everything about Howard’s league-wide perception IMO. He’s a “bell cow” back only because he got the reps, not because he did anything above average with them since 2016. 

I wish him all the best. 

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

I think literally nothing about this move:

1. Mike Davis is going to see legit playing time...I know its not a name but he is more than just a body....good player

2. Cordelle Patterson will see 2-3 touches a game, Nagy even said, no RB see's a ton of touches in this offense....2-3 for Cordelle will be alot

3. Honestly, Spencer Ware is still out here if we want him and could easily do the job.... Cohen was freaking awesome already, we are just scared because of his size

4. We still got Ryan Nall or whoever the new flavor of the month RB will be that we can get as a UDFA

Agreed with this, and I'd add that it might also signal that we feel comfortable with a number of draft RB options (we've been meeting with almost all of them) to the point where we feel pretty assured of getting at least one guy we'd like.

4 hours ago, GBHalas said:

This whole situation screams to me Greg Olsen. Productive player just about the only offensive player the Bears had at one point. New offense comes in and all of a sudden he's not a "fit". The bears trade him for a bag of magic beans and Olsen has possibly a HOF career and couldn't find a decent TE for a decade. I gotta feeling this one is gonna bite the Bears in the end

That same point has been made by others.

Personally I think we sold too cheap and at least one poll agrees with me and 80% overall are negative.

How do you feel about the Jordan Howard trade?

The Bears should've gotten more in return.  43%  (375 votes)  

I hate it! Terrible decision by Ryan Pace!  36.12%  (315 votes)  

Eh, is what it is. He wasn't a fit.  17.09%  (149 votes)  

I love it! No-brainer!  3.78%  (33 votes)  

Total Votes: 872

But.....I like Windy's idea of replacing him with Spencer Ware and it's very possible that's what Pace and Nagy have cooking.  He has a little better pedigree as a starter than Davis and I've thought all along that he'd be the right fit where Howard isn't.  They just aren't committed to him.

Because of that May 7 deadline for compensatory picks we may not sign him 'til then but it's possible the deal has already been cut and only awaiting a later signing date.  Ware would still be signed then long before OTAs and the June mini camp and he already knows the basic offense.  Make sense.

Now with two more versatile workhorse type backs in the fold we draft a back more like Cohen who has explosiveness and big play ability and with the addition of Patterson there's your RBBC group.  Three pure RBs and two hybrid RB/WRs.  Sorry to lose Howard but I could live with this.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

That same point has been made by others.

Personally I think we sold too cheap and at least one poll agrees with me and 80% overall are negative.

How do you feel about the Jordan Howard trade?

The Bears should've gotten more in return.  43%  (375 votes)  

I hate it! Terrible decision by Ryan Pace!  36.12%  (315 votes)  

Eh, is what it is. He wasn't a fit.  17.09%  (149 votes)  

I love it! No-brainer!  3.78%  (33 votes)  

Total Votes: 872

But.....I like Windy's idea of replacing him with Spencer Ware and it's very possible that's what Pace and Nagy have cooking.  He has a little better pedigree as a starter than Davis and I've thought all along that he'd be the right fit where Howard isn't.  They just aren't committed to him.

Because of that May 7 deadline for compensatory picks we may not sign him 'til then but it's possible the deal has already been cut and only awaiting a later signing date.  Ware would still be signed then long before OTAs and the June mini camp and he already knows the basic offense.  Make sense.

Now with two more versatile workhorse type backs in the fold we draft a back more like Cohen who has explosiveness and big play ability and with the addition of Patterson there's your RBBC group.  Three pure RBs and two hybrid RB/WRs.  Sorry to lose Howard but I could live with this.

What kind of deal does Ware warrant? Something like 2/6M with 3M guaranteed? 

6 minutes ago, malagabears said:

What kind of deal does Ware warrant? Something like 2/6M with 3M guaranteed? 

Maybe less.  Hard to say.  His last deal was 2yr/$3.6 mil/$1.6 mil gtd.

Might even get him on a 1 year deal for the same $2 mil Howard would have gotten.

My guess is it would be less than Davis since we pursued him over Ware.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Maybe less.  Hard to say.  His last deal was 2yr/$3.6 mil/$1.6 mil gtd.

Might even get him on a 1 year deal for the same $2 mil Howard would have gotten.

My guess is it would be less than Davis since we pursued him over Ware.

Looking at Ware's 2017 stats he had 33 catches for a 13.5 YPC average. That is pretty good. He seems to be a decent back and maybe Nagy is eyeing a RBBC where the backs all get equal touches in our RPO system.

I think Howard will go on to do a really good job for the Eagles in their RBBC...with their offence the concern will be the same as ours that he will tip off defences to not having to cover the RB in the passing game...and can we please get away from the sour grapes he just stinks narrative which is simply unture...dude just doesn't fit what we need...

In terms of compensation I would hope the 5th round conditions are easy to hit because he is worth that...one thing is for sure Pace knows that by 2020 & 2021 we are going to have a lot of money tied up in quality young players and he is going to need to clear some other vets off the roster...smart future planning when you are getting something for a guy who you didn't want here...

All the best Jordan. 

I thought we'd get more than that but it's clear he wasn't going to be a part of the offense going forward. If a 2020 6th was the best we could get then so be it.

When we signed Davis, who looks like a quicker Howard, the writing was on the wall really.

Jordan Howard carried this offense for two years, sorry to see him go and hope he goes on to have a long, successful NFL career.

Archived