Bears trade Howard to the Eagles

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Will be very interesting to see if we do sign Ware after this.

Or TJ Yeldon. Or Doug Martin. All 3 are capable rotation backs more fitting Nagy’s offense. 

I expect we’ll add another FA RB to fill the roster spot but it will depend on where we draft a guy which one that is. If we end up adding a RB in round 3 or 4 who we expect to be a rotation guy right away it wouldn’t shock me to see Benny Cunningham brought back on a minimum deal to be our RB4 since he knows the offense, is solid on ST and would likely be asked for little if anything on offense. My suspicion is that any RB of consequence is going to want to see what we do in the draft before signing here now since we have obviously prioritized Davis in FA and he is likely to get the first shot at the bulk of carries amongst vets. 

His rookie and sophomore year he was literally the only player I cared about on the bears offense but for the last entire year I’ve just been hoping we unload him somewhere because I knew he’d struggle and be inadequately used in our new offense and wanted him excel elsewhere. Wish him the best and I’m glad we let him off the hook so he can be used in a better fit. Kinda bummed my former favorite player is gone but glad he is somewhere else now. 

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Doug Martin. All 3 are capable rotation backs more fitting Nagy’s offense. 

Doug Martin. Capable. Oh gosh. 

Yeah I think we should sign Martin and Yeldon. Then Cohen, Martin, Yeldon, Davis, and Mizzell could all push us over 1000 yards rushing as they all finish the year with 200 yards. That’s about all Martin and Yeldon are good for 

Ware on the other hand, I feel like he does bring something to the table potentially and would like signing him. 

8 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I think literally nothing about this move:

1. Mike Davis is going to see legit playing time...I know its not a name but he is more than just a body....good player

2. Cordelle Patterson will see 2-3 touches a game, Nagy even said, no RB see's a ton of touches in this offense....2-3 for Cordelle will be alot

3. Honestly, Spencer Ware is still out here if we want him and could easily do the job.... Cohen was freaking awesome already, we are just scared because of his size

4. We still got Ryan Nall or whoever the new flavor of the month RB will be that we can get as a UDFA

Patterson, IMO, was brought in for more touches than that even. 

I think depending on RB draft pick, if any, you have right now a RBC of Davis, Cohen and Patterson and all but Davis can line up at WR.  Particularly if you leave LBs out there. 

I think that isn't bad. Those aren't palyers where you think they can't hurt you.   This is a current offense. 

Draft pick may end up just being depth, not the guy.  

I'm sad Howard doesn't get more respect by us as a player and from league in trade value, but it is what it is.  Last year he didn't play well and that is what people saw last.  A good argument can be made that his early play was the exception not the rule. 

Pace shopped him since combine at least.  This is was best offer.  Maybe only offer.

I hope he doesn't succeed because he is playing for a playoff rival, but I still like the guy.  I'll amend that to say I hope he succeeds, but his team does badly.  

26 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Doug Martin. Capable. Oh gosh. 

Yeah I think we should sign Martin and Yeldon. Then Cohen, Martin, Yeldon, Davis, and Mizzell could all push us over 1000 yards rushing as they all finish the year with 200 yards. That’s about all Martin and Yeldon are good for 

Ware on the other hand, I feel like he does bring something to the table potentially and would like signing him. 

Howard was dog **** in 2018. Let’s not pretend like we are replacing Zeke Elliott here. Martin and Yeldon were both more productive relative to number of carries than Howard was last year. They combined for 276 carries and 1137 yards (compared to Howard’s 250-935), and added a combined 73/603/4 as receivers. I don’t love either but in a role both are fine. 

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Howard was dog **** in 2018. Let’s not pretend like we are replacing Zeke Elliott here. Martin and Yeldon were both more productive relative to number of carries than Howard was last year. They combined for 276 carries and 1137 yards (compared to Howard’s 250-935), and added a combined 73/603/4 as receivers. I don’t love either but in a role both are fine. 

Haha I’m not arguing that Howard was bad we all saw it. But I think Martin has showed everything he has to offer which isn’t much 

According to spotrac we now have 17.2M in CAP minus 3M for the draft pool after the Howard trade. So that means we have about 10M minus 4.2M for contingency. Something tells me we are not done and looking at probably picking a bargain FA, hopefully an OLB.

45 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Haha I’m not arguing that Howard was bad we all saw it. But I think Martin has showed everything he has to offer which isn’t much 

Martin is an enigma to me. When he’s good he’s really good, but half the time he’s bad and his bads are really bad. 

31 minutes ago, malagabears said:

According to spotrac we now have 17.2M in CAP minus 3M for the draft pool after the Howard trade. So that means we have about 10M minus 4.2M for contingency. Something tells me we are not done and looking at probably picking a bargain FA, hopefully an OLB.

Some of that is likely going toward an extension for Whitehair. Or at least it should be. 

12 hours ago, GBHalas said:

This whole situation concerns me. First of all Howard is a mid twenty something year old bell cow running back. For those who want to say he's in decline for the last three years are the same guys that were mad at Fox the unimaginative offense he had and the eight or nine men in a box to stop in the run. 

Does it bother anyone else that PHILLY traded for Howard and not like Baltimore, Buffalo, or any of the other run first type offenses. Just typing this makes me re think the whole hell how statement. My point originally was obviously he's not a fit in ther coach's opinion but the team the runs the EXACT same offense was willing to give up a pick to get him. 

This whole situation screams to me Greg Olsen. Productive player just about the only offensive player the Bears had at one point. New offense comes in and all of a sudden he's not a "fit". The bears trade him for a bag of magic beans and Olsen has possibly a HOF career and couldn't find a decent TE for a decade. I gotta feeling this one is gonna bite the Bears in the end

The difference in these situations is that Greg Olsen was the unquestioned best TE in his draft class and a 1st round talent/pick whereas Howard is a 5th round one dimensional RB who excelled on bad offenses in his first couple of NFL seasons because the offense basically ran through him due to poor QB play.

Let's not over analyze this situation.  Howard was productive when called upon in his first 2 seasons but let's not act like the guy is an All Pro and future HOF'er that will be difficult to replace or improve upon.  I fully expect Bears run game to be a lot better in 2019 without Howard than it was with him in 2018.

Bears have Davis, Cohen and Cordarelle, plus they will surely draft someone this April.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The difference in these situations is that Greg Olsen was the unquestioned best TE in his draft class and a 1st round talent/pick whereas Howard is a 5th round one dimensional RB who excelled on bad offenses in his first couple of NFL seasons because the offense basically ran through him due to poor QB play.

Let's not over analyze this situation.  Howard was productive when called upon in his first 2 seasons but let's not act like the guy is an All Pro and future HOF'er that will be difficult to replace or improve upon.  I fully expect Bears run game to be a lot better in 2019 without Howard than it was with him in 2018.

Bears have Davis, Cohen and Cordarelle, plus they will surely draft someone this April.

5.2 ypc in 2016. 3.91 ypc since.

The deal is low risk to the Eagles but also good on the Bears to eschew sentimentality and aim for more from the position. Even if Mike Davis is a push with Howard as a runner (which would be disappointing) his unquestioned upgrade to the passing game makes us a more diverse (and as such a more dangerous) offense.

People need to get past the emotional tie to a player and recognize that the goal of this move isn’t to get the next big name Bears RB, it’s to score more points. Fit matters. The Olsen trade is apples to oranges because Olsen was a scheme transcendent talent. Howard is just the opposite.  

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Or TJ Yeldon. Or Doug Martin. All 3 are capable rotation backs more fitting Nagy’s offense. 

I expect we’ll add another FA RB to fill the roster spot but it will depend on where we draft a guy which one that is. If we end up adding a RB in round 3 or 4 who we expect to be a rotation guy right away it wouldn’t shock me to see Benny Cunningham brought back on a minimum deal to be our RB4 since he knows the offense, is solid on ST and would likely be asked for little if anything on offense. My suspicion is that any RB of consequence is going to want to see what we do in the draft before signing here now since we have obviously prioritized Davis in FA and he is likely to get the first shot at the bulk of carries amongst vets. 

I like Yeldon too but Ware has the advantage of knowing the system...wouldn't touch Martin with a barge pole...way too inconsistent. 

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I like Yeldon too but Ware has the advantage of knowing the system...wouldn't touch Martin with a barge pole...way too inconsistent. 

Agree on Ware/Yeldon but I think 5 months to learn the playbook is plenty to get him up to speed by the regular season too. He still has some upside to him too where Ware really doesn’t IMO. 

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

5.2 ypc in 2016. 3.91 ypc since.

The deal is low risk to the Eagles but also good on the Bears to eschew sentimentality and aim for more from the position. Even if Mike Davis is a push with Howard as a runner (which would be disappointing) his unquestioned upgrade to the passing game makes us a more diverse (and as such a more dangerous) offense.

People need to get past the emotional tie to a player and recognize that the goal of this move isn’t to get the next big name Bears RB, it’s to score more points. Fit matters. The Olsen trade is apples to oranges because Olsen was a scheme transcendent talent. Howard is just the opposite.  

I have to admit I was one of these people arguing in the past how you don't get rid of a guy of Howard's caliber for peanuts, but I was just blinded by homerism.  I now see the light and realize that it's not a good fit.  That doesn't mean Howard isn't a fine player, but the team obviously feels a conditional 5th round pick in 2020 is worth more to them than what Howard would have been to them in 2019.  This is a good trade for all parties.

Archived