Grade the Trades.

Kiwibrown

trade Grade  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Peppers, 1st and 3rd round pick for OBJ, and we don't get the 4th round pick for our 5th round pick

2. 2. Zeitler For Vernon

Image result for olivier vernon sack

Image result for kevin zeitler wife

Image result for OBJ

Image result for Jabrill peppers casual
Lets revisit the trades and OBJ.

Moving on from the trades, how do you feel about each one? We have added one quality starter in a position of weakness, and we have added a HOF talent to a position group that was pretty good already. Both players fall inside of Dorseys top  5 most important position groups QB,, pass rusher, tackle, corner and receiver. We got better at more important positions than the players we gave away.  

one important caveat to the trade, we acquired two players with significant injury histories, odds are they don't play 16 games each next year, this team is built for 19 games. 

Clearly we are stronger for 2019

Moving forward.

It will cost us more against the cap. Both Vernon and OBJ cost more than what we sent away, which will limit us with our own guys next year, Scho, Randall, Robinson, come to mind. We only have 31 million to spend in 2020. With on;y a few significant cut or trade options, Kirksey, Landry, Bitonio. 

We are hamstrung to some extent by the trade in how it affects which options we have. 

Give me your retrospective view. 

I was not a fan of trading for OBJ.

That having been said, adding him and Hunt and backstopping the OL can give us an explosive O.

I think OBJ and Jarvis are going to have to have Brady team commitment, i.e., give up some dollars to get wins, and I think they will.

With other cuts (e.g., Kirksey, Carrie, Schobert, etc.) we should be in good position to sign Garrett, Mayfield, Ward and others longer term and have at least a 5-year window to go for the gusto.

• Like 1

I gave the OBJ trade an A. If we could have kept Peppers (Go Bucks!) and just gave up a 1st and 3rd that would have been an A+.

Good to get more pass rush help with Vernon but didn't like the fact that we likely downgraded a unit to do it. Still gave it a B+.

I think adding Richardson may have been enough to have the defensive line be a lot more productive rushing the passer but I think Ogbah is about to break out any year now too so take what I say with a grain of salt. Actually, take it with a whole shaker of salt and see what that does to your blood pressure you haters.

• Like 1

They were both B+’s for me.

OBJ is a great WR, but he’s had trouble staying on the field the last couple years and we paid a significant price. I liked Peppers more than most and thought we could land a good player at 17.

Vernon is a very good starter at a premium position, but Zeitler is also a very good starter. I think Zeitler is better at his position than Vernon is, but Vernon plays a more impactful position.

The Vernon/Zeitler trade is A.

The OBJ trade will not be truly evaluated for a year.  At this time, I give a C for number of reasons:  too much money for WR when we could have had Perriman and maybe M. Brown with 17 pick, we are now all in with the money we could have used to sign our long term players like Garrett, OBJ history of injuries whereas Peppers no injuries, our D  backfield was set with addition of top CB and now we have holes, and lastly OBJ has a history of putting himself first and has proved disruptive to say the least.

I gave them both A's.

I honestly think the Zeitler trade was slightly better than the OBJ trade however.

We drafted a OG with the first pick in the second round last year.  I don't think he was a bust I think he didn't have a place to play.  We were never going to keep Zeitler in my eyes so we were able to get a need (Defensive end on the other side of Garrett) while giving up something we had a replacement waiting for.  It was a very smart move.

The OBJ trade is different

We picked up a lot of money and now are spending a TON of money on our WR room.  That being said all the gaurenteed money is out the window and we can get out from under it at any time if we deem the contract not worth while.

Jabril Peppers was turning into a REALLY good player, but how replaceable are strong safeties?  We can grab someone in the second round who can turn out to be great.

The 1st and the 3rd are hard to swallow because those could turn into good productive players, but its also a gamble.  We don't know if they would pan out.

All in all you don't get a player with that talent level in the prime of his career, ever.  The fact that the Giants were stupid and let that go is why its a A, not because of what we gave up.

I would have rather given up the deal I had heard previously which was a 1st this year, a 2nd next year, and Emmanual Ogbah.  I'm sad to see peppers go.  But our offense will be THAT much better and without peppers our defense isn't hurt as much as our offense has improve.

Were standing behind Baker and giving him all the pieces he needs to be dominant.  That I can't complain about.

27 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I gave them both A's.

I honestly think the Zeitler trade was slightly better than the OBJ trade however.

We drafted a OG with the first pick in the second round last year.  I don't think he was a bust I think he didn't have a place to play.  We were never going to keep Zeitler in my eyes so we were able to get a need (Defensive end on the other side of Garrett) while giving up something we had a replacement waiting for.  It was a very smart move.

The OBJ trade is different

We picked up a lot of money and now are spending a TON of money on our WR room.  That being said all the gaurenteed money is out the window and we can get out from under it at any time if we deem the contract not worth while.

Jabril Peppers was turning into a REALLY good player, but how replaceable are strong safeties?  We can grab someone in the second round who can turn out to be great.

The 1st and the 3rd are hard to swallow because those could turn into good productive players, but its also a gamble.  We don't know if they would pan out.

All in all you don't get a player with that talent level in the prime of his career, ever.  The fact that the Giants were stupid and let that go is why its a A, not because of what we gave up.

I would have rather given up the deal I had heard previously which was a 1st this year, a 2nd next year, and Emmanual Ogbah.  I'm sad to see peppers go.  But our offense will be THAT much better and without peppers our defense isn't hurt as much as our offense has improve.

Were standing behind Baker and giving him all the pieces he needs to be dominant.  That I can't complain about.

Really good points. Somebody inside was going to get moved. So why not try to fix another hole at the same time?

I gave them both A+ 

we have no idea what the browns were going to draft with #17. I doubt whoever it was could make an impact like OBJ can. Yeah they had to trade Peppers, he was growing but he wasn’t showing anything like he was untouchable tho. So a bottom half 1st rd pick, 3rd pick, and an avg to above avg safety for one of the best WRs in the league who is locked up. I think that is a great trade. 

Zeitler for Vernon. To me the RG is the 21st hardest position out of the 22nd starting positions. The browns traded away from that position for the #2 starting DE to bookend with Garrett. Which to me is a 10-13 hardest position range. So right there to me the Browns made a huge upgrade. They took a dude from a position that doesn’t hold the greatest value and invested into a pretty valuable position. Best part is the Browns already have the replacement on the squad and already hold in high regards. Now you add that they got away from zeitlers bad contract a year or two earlier and it leaves them flexibility. Vernon isn’t cheap but he is cheaper than zeitler. 

• Like 1

I think Both Trades were solid....

I think both Zeitler and Vernon both can play at a pro bowl level for their positions....its that Zeitler has been more consistent for a longer period of time. I Like letsgo was a bigger fan of Peppers than most, he started to make impactful plays for us last year. At the same time, a DE is much more valuable than OG.....and with our 2nd round pick plugging into the void....we needed a complimentary passrusher more than an OG.

Also picking up a Top 5 Wr in the NFL, for less draft compensation then 2 1rst's is already putting us in the win column. Especially if you consider there to be only 15 players carrying first round grades.... I dont like the $$$ committed to the position....but also trading Peppers who I feel was coming into his own, I think is going to even this trade out a LOT more than we initially expect. At least we sent him to his home town team (Pepp grew up in NJ). And I also think that Derrick Kindred can be more than adequate at SS...he was a beast at TCU......Tough Guy...made all Conf his Sr. playing the whole year with a broken collar bone....and his athletics are not that far off from J.Pepp....this years draft also is a very good one for safeties......so we were in position to make that deal also.

So both are logical deals, that I consider us the winners in....but not by as far a margin then some folks would like to believe.

OBJ trade: A-

We're getting a HoF talent at receiver who's only 26. Some argued that we didn't need a WR that badly as Baker does a good job of spreading the ball around, but having a legit #1 WR that defenses have to game plan around is beneficial to the entire offense. OBJ will make plays on his own, and his presence will give opportunities to guys like Landry, Callaway, Higgins, and Njoku to make plays themselves, as defenses will have to always focus on containing OBJ. OBJ obviously needs to stay healthy, and that's a lot of money invested into wide receivers, but right now we have the cap space to make it work. Losing Peppers is disappointing, as I think he's gonna be one of the better strong safeties in the league, but in the box safeties aren't the most valuable of positions. Overall, there's definitely way more good things to like about this trade than to dislike about it.

Vernon trade: B+

Zeitler was good, but overpaid. Vernon is good, but also overpaid. If Corbett comes in and is at least an average starter, then losing Zeitler isn't a big deal. Vernon didn't live up to his contract with the Giants, but I think he'll look better now that he has Myles playing across from him. Going up against AFC North RTs six times a season will be a lot easier than going up against NFC East LTs six times a season. Still, I think there's a valid argument that we would have been better off keeping Zeitler and signing a DE like Justin Houston. However, there's no guarantee that Houston would have signed with us. Overall, I think it was a good trade for both sides.

• Like 1

A+ for Odell

you got Anthony Henry, Jarvis, Baker who will be the best QB Odell has had a chance to play with. Take that shot plus hes already signed

B for the Zeitler trade. I just dont know what Corbett will end up being yet thats a big position still to be seen