Make or Break 2019 Edition

MWil23

Every year we have guys who make strides or show that they have plateaued or regressed. Let’s keep this to guys in their rookie contracts. Who ya got this year?

I’m not worried because they’re good already 

Baker: However, to be playoff and super bowl contenders, he needs to make the next step and do a better job at the LOS presnap with audibles and pressure recognition. 

Chubb

Myles: Be more consistent and be a feared run defender too

Ward: Stay healthy 

Schobert: Stay healthy 

Flashes of good, make the next step

Njoku: Catch the ball consistently and step up your blocking 

Calloway: Flashes of greatness with major consistency and concentration issues

Ogunjobi: Looks like a Pro Bowl DT but also gets pushed around in the early down run game

Crap or get off the pot

Ogbah

Kindred

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Baker: However, to be playoff and super bowl contenders, he needs to make the next step and do a better job at the LOS presnap with audibles and pressure recognition. 

Not to make this about Baker but wasn't he doing those things at a veteran level in his rookie year? at least in his 2nd half. 3 sacks in his last 7 starts. Completed 67% or better in 5 of those games. I believe he took the fewest hits in the NFL over his last 7 games. Was often given credit for audibles at the line from pre-snap reads like the Callaway slant TD.

I agree he needs to naturally progress like you could say after any rookie QB season but I was under the impression that he was historically elite at what you mentioned for rookie QBs.

Corbett and Harrison on the O-Line need to have a good showing to have roster spots in the future.

Young WR's not named Callaway and Higgins (assuming he is here) will have to scratch and claw to see time but need to do what they can when the opportunity presents itself.

Chris Smith, Chad Thomas. Are you guys anything? Lets see it.

@Thomas5737 perhaps with sliding protections against pressure, but against Baltimore and Denver it was obvious that he needed to audible out of some running plays and audible/check to some shorter hot routes on some critical down and distance situations. 

36 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Thomas5737 perhaps with sliding protections against pressure, but against Baltimore and Denver it was obvious that he needed to audible out of some running plays and audible/check to some shorter hot routes on some critical down and distance situations. 

Was he allowed to? Sometimes coordinators put limits on what rookie QBs can do.

But I agree I hate running against the stacked box 

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Was he allowed to? Sometimes coordinators put limits on what rookie QBs can do.

But I agree I hate running against the stacked box 

Idk the way he played in the redzone showed that ability of working with protections and recognizing pressures. He was surgical in the redzone and that’s when it’s the toughest. When teams are going to try and confuse him the most. Best part is OBJ can make those things easier cause teams won’t be able to get cute and will really need to be comfortable in their coverages with the weapons the browns have. 

Also will get better as as well with the addition of Monken who will prolly bring in and install passing concept Baker prolly has experience with in college because of the air raid concepts. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Maybe but we ran 14 times (all runs, including Perriman's) and passed 42 times against the Ravens and only had 3 runs in the second half. We had one 3rd down run in both games combined and that was 3rd and less than a yard. Limiting turnovers would have been a bigger factor in those games (we still beat Denver) although the 1st pick in the Raven game was Smith throwing Callaway before the ball got there and the second shouldn't have been a catch by smith he trapped the ball but I expect calls to even out this year and hey, maybe even favor us slightly overall.

I don’t think Ogbah/Kindred are really even crap or get off the pot guys. I think with this being his contract year and him not even a starter now, there’s too much smoke to the trade rumors. Think they’ve already mentally moved on from him. I still think a combo of draft and mid level FA replaces Kindred for the chance to start. 

I think Njoku is in a big year but think he still plays a role going forward even if the inconsistency remains. However, if questions linger, he is in peril of the Browns at some point looking for other well-rounded starting options. After this next year, they have to decide whether to pick up his year 5 option. I think with his ability and potential, it would take some really bad play for that to not happen. 

I’ll go with Corbett. We are building a machine here. It’s only year 2, but if he isn’t an asset, he becomes a liability. You either play well or get left behind. Hoping he’s up to the task. 

21 hours ago, brownie man said:

nahhhhhh

more likely to be resigned

Ideally I want to see Greg Robinson or Demond Harrison lock that position down 

Corbett too please be decent 

If he asks for top TE money then I hope he's traded. It's not really important how old he is, more what time he's got on his rookie contract. Same goes for everyone not named Baker Mayfield, Miles Garrett or Denzel Ward (though he has to stop tackling with his head)..

3 hours ago, Don Roshi said:

If he asks for top TE money then I hope he's traded. It's not really important how old he is, more what time he's got on his rookie contract. Same goes for everyone not named Baker Mayfield, Miles Garrett or Denzel Ward (though he has to stop tackling with his head)..

He’s still got 3 more years that are controlled and franchising a TE if necessary is easy. 

There is literally no reason to trade our 22 year old tight end with 3 years left who is ascending. 

We’re good for 4 years at least 

On 3/29/2019 at 10:24 AM, candyman93 said:

Hot take: Njoku will be traded within a year.

No way! His value to us is more than we'd get in a trade. Next year's crop of TE's are terrible and we are going to miss out on the top dogs this year. Besides, we aren't adding a TE this year anyways. We already have a crowded TE room with

David Njoku

Demetrius Harris

Seth DeValve

Whatever rookie TE we brought in not named Hockenson or Fant would be riding the pine.

Archived