DeAndre Houston-Carson Returns

soulman

11 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

As to the bolded first--I'm in the minority that thinks trading Howard, especially for next to nothing, was a really bad move. So whatever calculus Pace is doing is over my head (much like REAL calculus! :D)  It's pretty clear he's locked himself into drafting a RB with the third round pick, though. He must have a handful he's satisfied with, and is convinced at least one of them will be there. I suppose he could draft a safety in the following rounds, but I'd imagine he's going to try and hit on linemen. And they're probably gonna draft a kicker, too. 

In this draft I'm finding it almost impossible to figure out Pace's priorities if only because he's already drafted two Pro Bowl backs in round four (Cohen) and five (Howard).

As great as some team have been at drafting QBs or DEs the Bears strength always seems to have been LBs and RBs and Pace is continuing with that tradition albeit with a QB thrown in for good measure.....or so we hope.

I posted a mock earlier today that had Pace trading two 2020 picks for a 2019 2nd and taking an OLB/Edge guy to fill the role Lynch played in 2018 and still getting Darrell Henderson at #87.  Then he takes some SS out of Oregon with a first name few could pronounce and just like that he's covered his three biggest needs.

It looks like a pipe dream to me cooked up out of a one too many bong hits, and in CO we know about those, but Pace has done stuff like this before in nearly every draft so how do you rule it out if only because it does make logical sense.  A rookie OLB and RB will save cap space over what we'd pay mid level vets and we control them for four years not one or two.

And he still keeps his 4th and 5th picks for a DB, TE, or OL and has two 7ths to play with and some priority UDFAs and the 2020 picks he traded (2nd and 5th) come in rounds where he has two picks and possibly more.

I may think it's crazy because I don't think much of the guy who did it but on the other hand it might be a crazy good drafting strategy and Pace didn't win that award he just got because he sucks at drafting.  The way he hits on his 2nd round picks it may turn up another hellaciously good player at a position we badly need to fill.  So someone pass the bong....I'm in.  xD

Archived