Raiders sign TE Luke Willson

RaidersAreOne

Per Gil Brandt, at his pro day, "Willson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 and 4.46 seconds. He had a 38-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-2 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.28 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.04 seconds. He performed 23 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. All of those totals would have been among the top 10 in his position group at the combine." Willson is also a pitcher in the Toronto Blue Jays farm system, so he's been a sports professional for a time now.

interesting

On 3/30/2019 at 9:48 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Per Gil Brandt, at his pro day, "Willson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 and 4.46 seconds. He had a 38-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-2 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.28 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.04 seconds. He performed 23 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. All of those totals would have been among the top 10 in his position group at the combine." Willson is also a pitcher in the Toronto Blue Jays farm system, so he's been a sports professional for a time now.

interesting

Decent #2 TE. Would still love one of the Iowa boys.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Decent #2 TE. Would still love one of the Iowa boys.

Hock/ Fant- starter

L S mith- if we want another blocker  

L Wilson- if we want another TE to run routes

Suddenly the unit becomes a strength... should cut Carrier already, see if Butler/Wallner can ball out and earn a spot

On 30/03/2019 at 4:33 AM, NightTrainLane said:
On 30/03/2019 at 1:06 AM, raidr4life said:

What we should do is draft all defense in the 1st round!

Thank you!

I'm tired of people talking like Jacobs or Fant is gonna move the needle more than adding quality on the defense to build around.

Whilst I agree that defence is needed and DE in particular is almost in critical condition, if the best player available or a significant player fell at say, 24 such as a TJ Hockenson then I wouldn't be opposed to taking him instead of perhaps reaching for need. The only position I'd make an exception for is perhaps DE, depending on the size of reach.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Whilst I agree that defence is needed and DE in particular is almost in critical condition, if the best player available or a significant player fell at say, 24 such as a TJ Hockenson then I wouldn't be opposed to taking him instead of perhaps reaching for need. The only position I'd make an exception for is perhaps DE, depending on the size of reach.

But the depth of the defense talent means that with our top picks we won't have to reach. Hockenson doesn't change our team that much more than say Warring, Oliver or Sternberger a round or 2 later like a top ten pass rusher or top 5 CB/SF would. I believe the reason we addressed RB and TE in FA with solid young contributors is because we are gonna invest heavily on defense early.

14 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

But the depth of the defense talent means that with our top picks we won't have to reach. Hockenson doesn't change our team that much more than say Warring, Oliver or Sternberger a round or 2 later like a top ten pass rusher or top 5 CB/SF would. I believe the reason we addressed RB and TE in FA with solid young contributors is because we are gonna invest heavily on defense early.

You make a good point that the depth is there on defence no doubt, I'm not sure we can count on our young contributors at TE especially though and I'd like to add a WR to the mix as I'm not sold on Williams and Nelson either, but that's just me :) 

I also think that TE is a very underrated position, it's a good opportunity for a matchup advantage and guys like Kelce and Gates have been butchering us for years, I'd like to have a guy that can open things up for us there if possible. It may be just me but I'd say TE is more important than CB in the draft, I guess I like our CB options at the moment and without a pass rush they did pretty well last year. Maybe letting Cook walk and rolling with the younger guys is the plan but I think we should be careful not to turn a strength into a weakness. With regard to Wilson, he's a bubble roster player who'll get a shot, I thought he was a pretty decent blocker though?

I could still see Hock at 24/27 if there but would rather get a TE or two 3-5 rounds. Pats and GB will probably invest high in TE which means they'll be out til late 4th to add another. BB will add another as he collects TE's and Brady needs mid range weapons. I could see them trading up 22/23 to get Hock before us which I'm cool with. Too much talent in the later rounds to worry but Fant @ 35 would be hard to pass too. Agreed that the D is what's really needing assistance and it takes a few seasons to develop that talent so 2 DE's is good for me, even if we trade up a few spots to secure one as a run starts. Would love one of the top 3 Bosa, Allen or Q and then trading up a few picks if Ferrell, Sweat or Gary only costs our 4th or Bears 3rd in 2020. Better yet swapping 2nds and moving from 24/35 to 18/50 with Minny or 19/51 Tenn.

Can't wait to see if Mayock is allowed to move around as there are needs and a lot of capital to use up/down and all around. 

4) Bosa/Allen/Q

18/19) Sweat/Ferrell/Gary

27) trade down and get mid 3rd

2nd from trade down) Best WR available. Would consider O or D line if slippage but WR talent to develop is needed.

50/51) Best DB available or Oline if it's BPA over the choice of DB's

3rd) Best TE available

4th) anyone who slipped to day 3 BPA even QB considered.

5th) Special Teams or injured player RB? Anderson/Love did they slip this far because of injury?

Who knows what will happen, but hopefully reaching for potential ends with Mayock here. Football players wanted. Good tape first so rule out Gary. LOL 

Archived