Why Someone Would Make Such A Mistake?

MIKEWISNER

17 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Life is great, sir - married, two kids, working a good job with a FinTech company here in Houston. How about you, buddy?

Glad to hear it. I hope you and your family stayed safe from Harvey.

Life is great for me as well. Still in Waco. I'm married now, and my wife and I just had our first child. My boy turned one month old yesterday. He's amazing.

1 hour ago, JohnChimpo said:

Glad to hear it. I hope you and your family stayed safe from Harvey.

Life is great for me as well. Still in Waco. I'm married now, and my wife and I just had our first child. My boy turned one month old yesterday. He's amazing.

Congratulations, buddy! Kids are fun - my son is six years old and my daughter is two years old. I vividly remember those days when they were a month old - they eventually fall asleep through the night. :D

Things are good after Harvey. I didn't have any issues, but was in a sweet spot that didn't get flooded or hit by significant wind damage. I actually had to take in family, that was the extent of my Harvey experience...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 5:33 PM, iPwn said:

Then you’d know that the majority of neighborhoods in Chicago are extremely safe. You’d also know that Chicago isn’t even one of the 100 most dangerous cities in the country. You’d also know that less people die due to the weather in Chicago than practically every southern city in the country. And you’d also know that people who live in big cities are healthier. So, you know, state of ignorance.

Hundreds of murders does kind of make a city dangerous and me being from Baltimore, rankings based on per capita statistics do not exactly make the citizens any more safer.

20 minutes ago, PurpleLion said:

Hundreds of murders does kind of make a city dangerous and me being from Baltimore, rankings based on per capita statistics do not exactly make the citizens any more safer.

Per capita murder rate:

Baltimore: 51.2 per 100,000 

Chicago: 27.9 per 100,000 (in worst recorded year ever, they typically are around 19 per 100,000)

Baltimore’s murder rate is nearly double that of Chicago’s worst murder rate ever. Probably best not to pretend they’re similar situations at all.

11 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Per capita murder rate:

Baltimore: 51.2 per 100,000 

Chicago: 27.9 per 100,000 (in worst recorded year ever, they typically are around 19 per 100,000)

Baltimore’s murder rate is nearly double that of Chicago’s worst murder rate ever. Probably best not to pretend they’re similar situations at all.

Meant saying does not make a city any less dangerous. My point is that everybody uses per capital statistics to soften an area being dangerous or safe. It's the entire number of murders within a certain area that matters. These are individual human beings that were killed in a certain area and per capital rate takes into account the people who were not murdered. I don't care about the number of people who are living in an area. Each area has much different resources and situations that effect why that area has the amount of murders that it has. Our own chances of being murdered anywhere in the US is the same as everywhere and you either are murdered or you aren't murdered. More likely to be and areas being more dangerous or not based on the number of people in a certain area doesn't matter. Any area with one more murder that another area means that history has shown that a murder has happened more often.

2 minutes ago, PurpleLion said:

Meant saying does not make a city any less dangerous. My point is that everybody uses per capital statistics to soften an area being dangerous or safe. It's the entire number of murders within a certain area that matters. These are individual human beings that were killed in a certain area and per capital rate takes into account the people who were not murdered. I don't care about the number of people who are living in an area. Each area has much different resources and situations that effect why that area has the amount of murders that it has. Our own chances of being murdered anywhere in the US is the same as everywhere and you either are murdered or you aren't murdered. More likely to be and areas being more dangerous or not based on the number of people in a certain area doesn't matter. Any area with one more murder that another area means that history has shown that a murder has happened more often.

Please take a statistics class before we continue this conversation. 

10 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Please take a statistics class before we continue this conversation. 

People being murdered aren't statistics. They are human beings who were murdered. I'm not challenging your math, only your mentality and your obviously skewed thinking methods.

25 minutes ago, PurpleLion said:

People being murdered aren't statistics. They are human beings who were murdered. I'm not challenging your math, only your mentality and your obviously skewed thinking methods.

450 people die every year from falling out of bed. On average, 450 people are murdered per year in Chicago.

Unless you’re going to admit that population percentages are what actually make these numbers matter, you’re going to argue that falling out of bed living anywhere is just as likely to kill you as being murdered in Chicago. 450 people is 450 people, after all.

Insecurity? Sense of style? Those are the only two answers I can up with.

Either someone doesn't like the way they look in certain ways and subconsciously tries to mask it. Either that or they are so dedicated to a particular look that they'd rather suffer than to break away from that.

30 minutes ago, iPwn said:

450 people die every year from falling out of bed. On average, 450 people are murdered per year in Chicago.

Unless you’re going to admit that population percentages are what actually make these numbers matter, you’re going to argue that falling out of bed living anywhere is just as likely to kill you as being murdered in Chicago. 450 people is 450 people, after all.

Falling out of bed accidental, murdered intentional and tells me that something unusual is happening there vs many other areas. This not even mentioning the number of other crimes in the area. All of this will contribute to an area that's very much dangerous and not saying that Baltimore is the utopia either.

Archived