Why Someone Would Make Such A Mistake?

MIKEWISNER

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Impressively enough, this is even more stupid.

Alright, then I'll shorten it to analytical nonsense. Why waste time? I'll shorten it to only nonsense. Because that's pretty much the connection with his argument about per capita stats. And stupid, that pretty much covers the basis of his argument. Statistics, the analytical or math, fractions like you have mentioned, have absolutely no contextualization and very certainly not involving societal issues. They are simply a number and statistics are math dressed up to have some added value or special meaning of which it doesn't have. Like the putting lipstick on pigs saying.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:05 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I know about per capita, bud.  I also know what a city is, pal.  According to this here list ranking murder rates per capita, Chicago is the number 9 most dangerous city in the country, guy.  That's cities, not large towns of under 40,000 people like your list ranked. 

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-united-states.html

So if you add up the noise and the weather and the people and the murder rates, Chicago is lower than St. Louis for me because St. Louis has the same murder rate but nicer weather and less people, so it's a top 8 city I'd never live in and I feel sorry for anybody who defends a city like Chicago, friend. 

Ha, Milwaukee is #10 on that list.

I'll just say this...the last word I'd use to describe Milwaukee is "dangerous"

23 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Ha, Milwaukee is #10 on that list.

I'll just say this...the last word I'd use to describe Milwaukee is "dangerous"

In a sentence?

Like "Milwaukee is extremely dangerous"

Makes sense based on that list ;)

FWIW, I'm really surprised LA (at least LA County) isn't on there. 

I just don't buy those lists or, at least, those lists are completely misguided. As folks from those cities most likely know, most of the murders that are used for these lists are centralized in certain areas. There's legitimately like only one area where people really don't want to go in this city and, even then, you typically have to go looking for trouble in order to find it. It's cultural and I mean that in the least offensive way possible. It's just reality. 

6 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I just don't buy those lists or, at least, those lists are completely misguided. As folks from those cities most likely know, most of the murders that are used for these lists are centralized in certain areas. There's legitimately like only one area where people really don't want to go in this city and, even then, you typically have to go looking for trouble in order to find it. It's cultural and I mean that in the least offensive way possible. It's just reality. 

I was just messing with ya, but what you said is basically why I'm really surprised LA isn't on there. Seems like I see a new shooting/stabbing murder on the news every day from somewhere in LA, and it's pretty much the same few areas most times.

1 minute ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

I was just messing with ya, but what you said is basically why I'm really surprised LA isn't on there. Seems like I see a new shooting/stabbing murder on the news every day from somewhere in LA, and it's pretty much the same few areas most times.

https://www.milwaukee53206.com/

This is a GREAT documentary and basically explains the Milwaukee crime rates. It's literally one small area of the city that causes these numbers. 53206 is the highest incarcerated zip code in America. 

This is how "big" it is

8 hours ago, PurpleLion said:

Alright, then I'll shorten it to analytical nonsense. Why waste time? I'll shorten it to only nonsense. Because that's pretty much the connection with his argument about per capita stats. And stupid, that pretty much covers the basis of his argument. Statistics, the analytical or math, fractions like you have mentioned, have absolutely no contextualization and very certainly not involving societal issues. They are simply a number and statistics are math dressed up to have some added value or special meaning of which it doesn't have. Like the putting lipstick on pigs saying.

"Hello sir, do you know how fast you were going?"
"Officer - I wasn't speeding. I had only gone a total of 30 miles and the sign says 65!"
"Sir, what matters is the rate at which you were traveling, not the total distance."
"Officer, that's all analytical fraction nonsense. You can keep your math wizard number magic, I only went 30 miles."

8 hours ago, PurpleLion said:

very certainly not involving societal issues

Well at least you admit you're just grandstanding to make a political point. And I wouldn't worry - the voter base who is with you isn't exactly hitting math class out of the park.

Archived