Projected Starters

A TRAIN 89

A bit early to project starters, but interested to see how different the '19/'20 squad looks vs. '18/'19 squad. Cannot believe how bereft of young talent the offense is. Defense looks to be middle of the pack, but there seems to be difference makers at each level.

QB: Case Keenum
RB: Adrian Peterson
WR: Josh Doctson
WR: Paul Richardson
TE: Jordan Reed
TE: Vernon Davis
OT: Trent Williams
OG: Ereck Flowers
C: Chase Roullier
OG: Brandon Scherff
OT: Morgan Moses

DE: Jonathan Allen
DT: Daron Payne
DE: Matt Ioannidis
OLB: Ryan Kerrigan
MLB: Reuben Foster
MLB: Shaun-Dion Hamilton
OLB: Ryan Anderson
CB: Josh Norman
FS: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
SS: Landon Collins
CB: Quinton Dunbar

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

7-9

Man, I sure hope Nicholson or Apke beat out DRC for that FS starting spot. I just want to see these young guys play!

Same. I just need to see some youth playing right now. We know we're not gonna be good this season. I want to see what we will have in a few years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Same. I just need to see some youth playing right now. We know we're not gonna be good this season. I want to see what we will have in a few years.

Who gives a crap about the safety position right now?  We have so many bigger issues:

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Just the fact that this teams starter is projected to be Case Keenum makes me super depressed. 

That's how I felt last year with Alex Smith. I don't really have that same feeling with Keenum. At least this offense might be somewhat fun to watch (if they get some offensive weapons in the draft)

Edited by taylor made

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Just the fact that this teams starter is projected to be Case Keenum makes me super depressed. 

Agreed. I believe he'll be somewhere between Vikings Keenum and Broncos Keenum. We'll probably pound the rock to try and create more PA opportunities, which is where Keenum can play well. Will need the OL to stand strong.

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Who gives a crap about the safety position right now?  We have so many bigger issues:

If you can't stop the deep pass, its a huge problem. The pass rush won't get home every drop back especially with the quick drops that most teams use nowadays. Last year early in the year we got burned several times bc of mistakes in the secondary until we got Haha and then we got burned bc he missed open field tackles like at Dallas on Cooper.

Edited by turtle28

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Doesn't bother me. At best we are a great running team with a good defense that will hover around where we were last year.

If he flops bc we cant run the ball and it's too much on his shoulders to carry the team, then well have near a top 5 pick in 2020 or a top 5 pick.

I have low expectations and it seems like everytime I do, the Redskins actually have a better season than I thought they would.

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Doesn't bother me. At best we are a great running team with a good defense that will hover around where we were last year.

If he flops bc we cant run the ball and it's too much on his shoulders to carry the team, then well have near a top 5 pick in 2020 or a top 5 pick.

I have low expectations and it seems like everytime I do, the Redskins actually have a better season than I thought they would.

Even if we end up being terrible they won’t admit that we suck and they will refuse to do what is necessary to get this team going in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Even if we end up being terrible they won’t admit that we suck and they will refuse to do what is necessary to get this team going in the right direction. 

Oh well, we can’t change it. It is what it is. I'm done thinking Brice Allen will be fired. I've said that for years, I just don't see it unless we have multiple seasons where were awful and even then, they'll blame the HC and he'll be fired. For example, they'll probably be 5-11 or 6-10 this year and Gruden will be fired, but it wasn't his decision not to re-sign Djax or Garcon in 2017 or to not re-sign Kirk years ago before his contract demands blew up. The HC -in this case Gruden - will be the scapegoat long before the GM/Team President.

Edited by turtle28

We need a reciever and a left guard, I think the offense has potential. I knew just like most others that Smith was conservative to a fault. Made for some boring football at times but it was effective. When the run was stopped it got ugly in a hurry. Keenum, McCoy or a drafted Drew Lock would at least put the ball down the field which would stop teams from stacking the box. The coaching staff also needs to quit saying cover 2 is why they didn't throw deep. Sometimes you just have to chuck it anyways 

Just so we’re clear, Alex Smith threw the ball further downfield than Keenum last season — by every Next Gen metric there is. Higher average Completed Air Yards, higher average Intended Air Yards (by a wide margin), higher average Yards to the Stick. 

And in Colt McCoy’s two starts, he threw precisely 3 passes further than 20 yards down the field (out of 42 attempts). One of them was the back-breaking INT against Dallas on Thanksgiving. 

I’m very aware that the narrative is that the reason the Redskins offense stunk in 2018 is because Alex refused to throw it downfield. Not going to waste my time fighting that battle with people whose preconceived notions led them to conclude that was the big problem — despite all the advanced statistical evidence that says otherwise — but I’ll simply try to make the point that the two QBs currently on the roster were not gambling down the field regularly last season.

And I’ll try to make the related point that what we really need is some offensive weaponry (especially at the WR position) that can get open and make plays after the catch. I think that’s the most glaring weakness on this team, even more than the LB corps. Especially after Crowder hit the road. I wouldn’t be mad at all if they doubled up on the WR position in the first two days of the draft. As much as we need a pass-rusher and an ILB and a LG and probably another safety, our next QB is going to need some reliable and explosive weapons. 

• Like 2