Re-Grading Pace's 2016 Draft

soulman

They say it takes three years to properly grade a GMs draft.  With the 2020 Draft approaching let's have some fun and review how well Pace scored on his 2016.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/30/chiacgo-bears-2016-nfl-draft-grade-jordan-howard-leonard-floyd/

Rather posting the entire article I'll simply list the player, his draft position, and the grade the author gave that pick.  You can review his reasoning by reading the article and then give your own grades and commentary.  It's something else to pass the time in place of debating which RB we'll draft to replace Jordan Howard. 

WTFKnows.....:D.

Round 1/Pick #9:  Leonard Floyd/OLB/Georgia.....B+

Round 1/Pick #56: Cody Whitehair/OG/OC/Kansas State.....A

Round 3/Pick #72: Jonathan Bullard/DL/Florida.....C-

Round 4/Pick #113: Nick Kwiatkoski/LB/West Virginia.....C

Round 4/Pick #124: Deon Bush/S/Miami.....C-

Round 4/Pick #127: Deiondre Hall/CB/Northern Iowa.....D-

Round 5/Pick #150: Jordan Howard/RB/Indiana.....B+

Round 6/Pick #185: DeAndre Houston-Carson/S/William&Mary.....C-

Round 7/Pick #230: Daniel Braverman/WR/Western Michigan.....D

UDFA: Ben Braunecker/TE/Harvard.....ungraded

UDFA: Roy Robertson-Harris/DL/UTEP.....ungraded

Overall Draft Grade.....C

RRH is a really good starting DE and I am not sure why he would not be graded, based on what they invested he is an A+

Floyd: B+, not great value but a good player.

Whitehair: A, really good, but not elite starting C

Bullard: C+, he would start for some teams but there is nothing dynamic

Kwit: C, I think he is a special teams only guy.

Bush: B, he is not bad as a starter.

Hall: C, they got something back for him and he was not lost on the field.

Howard: B+, productive but limited player that they got a lot of yards and a resource back for.

Houston-Carson: B, good special teamer a little on defense from a 6th round pick is what you want.

Braverman: D, the 7th round should be used for NFL athletes that need coaching or development.

Braunecker: B+, he is not a starter but an UDFA good enough to re-sign is a win.

RRH: A+, getting a starting DLmen who can rush the passer as an UDFA is stealing.

Overall: B+

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I wouldn't say C. If you get 3 starters, and 3 good or really good starters at that, out of a draft, it has to be a B at least.

Yep, I'm with you.

Three solid starters.  Four solid ST contributors. And even two UDFA still on the roster with one extended and another we should be looking to extend.

If we contrast this draft to a few others in this decade if this is what gets a C then we had a few D- and Fs.

IMHO three guys deserve a comment.

Bullard - He's not so much a bad DL as he is a guy who should not have been drafted as a 3-4 DE.  He came in as a rookie far too light for that kind of duty. IMHO if he dropped back to the 275-280lbs he played at in college and played as a 4-3 DE and periodic 3 tech DT his game would be better served.  He's added weight, done what he can, and stuck around so far because we lacked depth but with both RRH and Nichols out playing him I see him moving on in FA next year.

Kwiatkoski - He's a good football player. Instinctive and a sure tackler but a step to slow as a 3-4 ILB in this defense.  If he was 2" taller and 10lbs heavier he might do OK as a 3-4 OLB and pass rusher.  But he's not.  He's a good ST guy but I can't see him replacing Trevathan.  I think Iggy or another draftee will eventually do that and Kwit can either keep earning one year deals as a ST guy or he'll find a 4-3 team where he can play as an in the box MLB.  IMHO that's his game.

Bush - IMHO he's the polar opposite of Kwiatkoski.  He's not a very good football player because he lacks instincts and not really a guy I wanted starting as SS so I'm glad we signed HHCD. He's basically a mid level ST and DB backup and cheap enough to keep but we should be looking to draft to replace him this year and maybe next as well since keeping HHCD for more than a year seems unlikely.

I'd probably bump all three of these guys up one half grade, give Braunecker a B- as an UDFA and RRH and B+ for that same reason.  They're hanging in and improving.

Edited by soulman