Best 2019 Small School Prospects

soulman

Best small-school prospects in the 2019 NFL draft

By: Luke Easterling | 11 hours ago

Looking for under-the-radar gems in the 2019 NFL draft? Here are some of this year’s top small-school prospects:

usatsi_12062315.jpg?w=1000&h=632

Nasir Adderley | S | Delaware

© John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

usatsi_12060704.jpg?w=1000&h=652

Khalen Saunders | DL | Western Illinois

usatsi_12039631.jpg?w=1000&h=704

Tytus Howard | OT | Alabama State

usatsi_12417651.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Ashton Dulin | WR | Malone

© (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

usatsi_12049759.jpg?w=1000&h=656

Jimmy Moreland | CB | James Madison

usatsi_10256381.jpg?w=1000&h=666

Keelan Doss | WR | UC-Davis

© Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports

usatsi_12443448.jpg?w=1000&h=661

Bruce Anderson | RB | North Dakota State

© AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall

usatsi_12159283.jpg?w=1000&h=690

Oli Udoh | OT | Elon

© Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

usatsi_12039625.jpg?w=1000&h=648

B.J. Autry | OL | Jacksonville State

usatsi_10286192.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Kelvin McKnight | WR | Samford

© Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

usatsi_12321568.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Corey Ballentine | CB | Washburn

© AP Photo/Michael Conroy

usatsi_12116166.jpg?w=870&h=1000

Donald Parham | TE | Stetson

© AP Photo/Butch Dill

We're looking to draft a SS and with Pace's penchant for drafting small school prospects and Nagy's love for Deleware alumni could another Blue Hen be joining the Bears fold?  He's also the cousin of former Packer/Cowboy great Herb Adderley and his grandfather Nelson played college ball at OSU and the pros in the CFL so he has some football genes in him.

He played as a FS at Deleware but based on his scouting reports and some game clips he projects as a SS but like Adrian Amos, he also played some CB during his college career.  At 6'/206lb he's a little small for SS but he has 4.55 clocked speed and decent coverage skills.  He actually sounds like a younger version of HHCD but without an FBS Division I pedigree.

I'll just post links to some scouting reports but he looks like a kid who would go in the middle rounds.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nasir-adderley?id=32194144-4417-2048-c82e-d72eac396ce9

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Nasir-Adderley.asp

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-delaware-s-nasir-adderley/

Lots of film clips in that last one.  Worth a peek.

I don't think he has a penchant for drafting small school guys.  I think he just realizes there is often a greater risk/reward with small school guys or injured guys in mid rounds and he seizes on that. 

Someone posted a nice article on that draft strategy a year or two ago.

There is value in playing and starring too versus sitting on the bench at a big school. 

I think he probably thought early on he could get Shaheen lower, but Elway and another couple of GMs fell in love with him so he had to take him in second if wanted him.  Example of getting locked on your target and maybe reaching a bit. 

Note I haven't given up on Shaheen being a good player yet.  He just needs some breaks to go his way for a full calendar year.  

One guy to keep an eye on is Bruce Anderson from NDSU.  He fits the mold of the type of RB Nagy is looking for, and could be a name we hear on Day 3.  His pro day numbers are 5'10" 210 and he ran 4.58 in the 40.  He's called a natural catcher of the football, and has played on special teams

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't think he has a penchant for drafting small school guys.  I think he just realizes there is often a greater risk/reward with small school guys or injured guys in mid rounds and he seizes on that. 

Someone posted a nice article on that draft strategy a year or two ago.

There is value in playing and starring too versus sitting on the bench at a big school. 

I think he probably thought early on he could get Shaheen lower, but Elway and another couple of GMs fell in love with him so he had to take him in second if wanted him.  Example of getting locked on your target and maybe reaching a bit. 

Note I haven't given up on Shaheen being a good player yet.  He just needs some breaks to go his way for a full calendar year.  

He's drafted a quite few so far other than just Shaheen and a few more have come as UDFA.

I'm lookin' at schools like Bucknell, Harvard, NC A&T, Old Dominion, William & Mary, Western KY, Dubuque, Samford, Ashland, Delaware, Kutzdown.

I also agree that I'd rather draft or sign a kid who dominated against lesser competition than an SEC, ACC, or Big Ten bench warmer.  As long as the basic tools are there they might be developed into very good pros.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

He's drafted a quite few so far other than just Shaheen and a few more have come as UDFA.

I'm lookin' at schools like Bucknell, Harvard, NC A&T, Old Dominion, William & Mary, Western KY, Dubuque, Samford, Ashland, Delaware, Kutzdown.

I also agree that I'd rather draft or sign a kid who dominated against lesser competition than an SEC, ACC, or Big Ten bench warmer.  As long as the basic tools are there they might be developed into very good pros.

My point was he is looking for high potential guys in mid rounds, not necessarily small school guys.   Overlooked guys. 

Could be because small school, could be because because they sat a year or two with injury, whatever, anything but character concerns.  

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

My point was he is looking for high potential guys in mid rounds, not necessarily small school guys.   Overlooked guys. 

Could be because small school, could be because because they sat a year or two with injury, whatever, anything but character concerns.  

I get his motivation and it makes sense but Pace does seem to find a lot of small schools guys which was the rationale behind this thread.

It's more of a coincidence than intentional that one happens to be a Safety from Delaware but when I saw Adderley after having drafted Nichols last year it did trigger the thought that he's a guy who may be on Pace's radar.

13 hours ago, soulman said:

We're looking to draft a SS and with Pace's penchant for drafting small school prospects and Nagy's love for Deleware alumni could another Blue Hen be joining the Bears fold?  He's also the cousin of former Packer/Cowboy great Herb Adderley and his grandfather Nelson played college ball at OSU and the pros in the CFL so he has some football genes in him.

He played as a FS at Deleware but based on his scouting reports and some game clips he projects as a SS but like Adrian Amos, he also played some CB during his college career.  At 6'/206lb he's a little small for SS but he has 4.55 clocked speed and decent coverage skills.  He actually sounds like a younger version of HHCD but without an FBS Division I pedigree.

I'll just post links to some scouting reports but he looks like a kid who would go in the middle rounds.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nasir-adderley?id=32194144-4417-2048-c82e-d72eac396ce9

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Nasir-Adderley.asp

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-delaware-s-nasir-adderley/

Lots of film clips in that last one.  Worth a peek.

Nasir is arguably the best FS in the draft and a top 50 pick

54 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Have you checked out any of those kids other than Adderley, @soulman

I have Heinz I just latched on to Adderley because he came up in this list of small school prospects AND he played at Deleware, Nagy's alma mater.

Actually, the guys most often attributed to the Bears are Edwards/KY, Savage/Maryland, and Hooker/Iowa.

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Nasir is arguably the best FS in the draft and a top 50 pick

Well that would rule him out for us but somehow I didn't get the impression he was ranked that high based on his scouting reports.  Top 100 maybe.

8 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

One more thing to consider and respect about Pace's drafting. He drafted Eddie Jackson, with a broken leg, after slumping through the Kevin White experience. That took guts. 

EJax at Alabama was consistently an actual player throughout is career  as opposed to KW who blew up his one year then tested well. slight difference

Archived