Under-Rated Draft Prospects

Just Want A Title

Every year there are some prospects who seem to end up being under-rated.  A few players I can think of right now:

Andy Isabella--He is bigger and faster than Marquise Brown and has production to back it up.  Not sure how he is being projected to late 3rd or early 4th round

Dexter Jackson--Guys who weigh 345 Lbs aren't usually described as explosive but its not inaccurate-see his 5.05 40 time.  If his conditioning is good, he could be a game wrecker from day 1

N'Keal Harry--He is a big, strong WR with solid speed. He will be too much for most CBs to handle.

Erik McCoy--Played Center because of injuries to other players even though he might have been a better guard and was one of the best centers out there.  No way he should make it out of round 2.

Bobby Okereke--He should become a starter pretty quickly.  All is make good tackles.  A lot of them

Thoughts? 

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, Just Want A Title said:

Every year there are some prospects who seem to end up being under-rated.  A few players I can think of right now:

Andy Isabella--He is bigger and faster than Marquise Brown and has production to back it up.  Not sure how he is being projected to late 3rd or early 4th round

Dexter Jackson--Guys who weigh 345 Lbs aren't usually described as explosive but its not inaccurate-see his 5.05 40 time.  If his conditioning is good, he could be a game wrecker from day 1

N'Keal Harry--He is a big, strong WR with solid speed. He will be too much for most CBs to handle.

Erik McCoy--Played Center because of injuries to other players even though he might have been a better guard and was one of the best centers out there.  No way he should make it out of round 2.

Bobby Okereke--He should become a starter pretty quickly.  All is make good tackles.  A lot of them

Thoughts? 

Isabella: I think he's being hyped an appropriate amount. He does have a ton of production, albeit at a lower level. He has a moderate YPC of 15.3 (average for the draft class) and catch % of 68% (just above average).

The guy that I agree with you on and like a lot more is N'Keal Harry. If we added an extra 2nd I might not be against adding him to eventually replace Marvin.

5 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

I think teams will regret passing on Oliver at any point..I think he'll be a superstar...also think Jeffrey Simmons lost some steam and now a little underrated. 

Agreed on Oliver. Simmons hasn't lost steam - he's injured and might not be able to play at all this season. There's a small list of guys who miss their rookie season and are successful. He could slip into the 2nd unless the medicals look like he could play (even sparingly) this year.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Agreed on Oliver. Simmons hasn't lost steam - he's injured and might not be able to play at all this season. There's a small list of guys who miss their rookie season and are successful. He could slip into the 2nd unless the medicals look like he could play (even sparingly) this year.

oh wow. shows my ignorance...i didn't even know he was hurt!! and first guy I love to think of is Notre Dames Jaylon Smith on Cowboys...though..I would rather healthy guys personally. But im sure they can feel the players out through interviews and lots of prep

Just now, NFL_Fan said:

oh wow. shows my ignorance...i didn't even know he was hurt!! and first guy I love to think of is Notre Dames Jaylon Smith on Cowboys...though..I would rather healthy guys personally. But im sure they can feel the players out through interviews and lots of prep

Yeah - the stuff from HS had him as a fringe 1st rounder and then the injury could take him out of there entirely. Maybe he gets taken late to a team like the Patriots that can afford to stash someone or a team trades up to get that extra year. The MTS guys were talking about the short list of guys who came back and performed well. Jaylon Ferguson is maybe one of 3 guys they mentioned? The bulk of the other guys bounced around or didn't really play at all.

Yeah sad times...and he's a big boy...Jaylon was a freak athlete before and just better shape...so I could see that hurting him too. I just want walk away with a new pass rusher...new linebacker...a new DB..and maybe some help for Stafford whether its a guard late we can mold or a WR that can play in the slot and has good handss maybe also return..

50 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

Yeah sad times...and he's a big boy...Jaylon was a freak athlete before and just better shape...so I could see that hurting him too. I just want walk away with a new pass rusher...new linebacker...a new DB..and maybe some help for Stafford whether its a guard late we can mold or a WR that can play in the slot and has good handss maybe also return..

I think we're going to have to add a guard as early as round 2. I really like Chris Lindstrom so far but he's a guy that is going to need to be taken on the higher side. I'm expecting a 55 Pass/45 Run split, which is more balanced than the near 60/40 split that we've been running most years. We need a tough, reliable guy that is going to punish people opening up running lanes. We're losing a good player in TJ and should try to replace him with a similar quality player.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BZski said:

WR David Sills and TE Issac Nauta. Sills especially. I will even say CB David Long as well, I think he would be a steal in rd 3.

Agree with you on Sills and Long. I'm not sure about Nauta though. He might stick around in the league for a few years but I don't think he'll wind up being much of a factor.

On 3/31/2019 at 6:30 AM, Just Want A Title said:

Thoughts? 

I agree with you about Lawrence and McCoy. If either are somehow there in the second I don’t see how they can pass on them. 

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, diehardlionfan said:

What do you all think about Maxx Crosby?

Athletically/body type -  he matches up with Josh Allen, Nick Bosa and Chase Winovich. I haven't seen much of him but he looks a guy that is always hustling and looking to make the play. There were a few times that he was out of the picture and came in from out of frame to make the play/get in on the play. Despite his athleticism, he wasn't dominant a la Jaylon Ferguson. I'd have to see more to see why. He seemed to mainly just be lined up on either side at defensive end (from the highlight reel that I saw). At 255 lbs that just isn't going to cut it. He'll either need to bulk up a bit more or work on his coverage game - maybe both.

He's projected to go in the 6th by Lance Zierlein. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him in the 5th (especially if we wound up with an extra pick there) to bring him on as a developmental guy. He could flourish with an NFL training program and be an impact player or a solid backup at the very least.