Late Round Talent

BleedTheClock

Is it just me or is this year's projected 6th-7th-UDFA players freaking LOADED?!?!?!?

I see close to 30 players that get mocked as UDFA's or 7th round picks that will contribute or start for NFL teams.

1. Eric Dungey QB/FB/WR/TE (Has a future somewhere. The kid is a more athletic Tebow.)

2. Qadree Ollison RB (Arian Foster clone. Has the ability to play some FB if need-be.)

3. Darrin Hall RB (Has speed and power. Good hands.)

4. Matt Colburn RB (Elusive 3rd down RB.)

5. Jon'Vea Johnson WR (Explosive #2 WR potential.)

6. Hunter Renfrow WR (Immediate starter in the slot.)

7. Cody Thompson WR (Immediate starter in the slot.)

8. Mavin Saunders TE (Bundles of potential, but very raw.)

9. Tommy Sweeney TE (Might go higher admittedly, but great blocker & hands.)

10. Matt Sokol TE (Good blocker, good hands.)

11. Lukayus McNeil OT (Big body that can move. Could play 4 OL spots.)

12. Brandon Knight OT (Potential LT/RT versatility.)

13. Garrett Brumfield OG (One of the best, if not THE best, pulling guard in the class.)

14. Tanner Farmer OG (Physical traits. Speed and strength are excellent.)

15. Justin Falcinelli C (Severely underrated. Moves people with ease in the run game.)

16. Tyler Gauthier C (Excellent athlete with good size. A lot to work with.)

17. Ryan Anderson C (Smart, reliable, dependable. Will start for someone.)

18. Byron Cowart DE/DT (Still has potential and flashes excellence at times.)

19. Marquise Copeland DT (Spark plug little 3-Tech who gets after the QB.)

20. Matt Nelson DT (Excellent physical traits to be a starting 5-Tech.)

21. Andre Davis DE/OLB (Will probably go higher as his stock is rising. Elite 1st step.)

22. Sutton Smith DE/OLB (Just a dawg. Finds ways to harass the QB consistently.)

23. Ulysses Gilbert OLB (One of my favorites. Dynamite athlete that eats up tackles.)

24. Dakota Allen OLB (3rd down coverage linebacker.)

25. Mark McLaurin S (Body of a SS, skills of a FS. Good nose for the ball.)

26. Jovante Moffait S (Super sleeper SS. A little stiff, but does everything well.)

27. Marlon Bridges S (Small lanky S prospect. Elite movement skills for the position.)

28. Matt Gay K (Kicks FG's better than most.)

This is the most loaded group of late-round draft picks I've ever seen.

Thoughts?

There are some positional groups that lack top end talent but are deep, so by the time the later rounds come on, you're still in the top prospects for the class.  Receiver and cornerback for instance.

Then there's D-line and Edge.  Those classes are loaded at the top, and it wouldn't shock me if 10 from each group are drafted just in the first two rounds.  After that, there are still guys that can contribute, and they might hang around til late Day 3.

Then there's a great interior Oline class, and since they're of low positional value, so they won't go til later on, so again, talent pushes down talent.  With the class being so uneven, I think that's why it appears that way.  But I doubt there will be very many starters in the late rounds when it actually shakes out.

8 minutes ago, taylor made said:

uh no. Most of these guys will never amount to anything. There might be like 5 or 6. When has the 6th, 7th & UDFA  ever produced that many NFL roster players? I like Cody Thompson.

There's a reason I think this is an exceptionally deep class. I haven't ever honed in on this many late round prospects in any previous draft. And I've been following the draft intently since 2004.

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

There's a reason I think this is an exceptionally deep class. I haven't ever honed in on this many late round prospects in any previous draft. And I've been following the draft intently since 2004.

I agree. It's very deep on raw talent. Little true top tier talent.

What happens when so many come out early.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

It's just a numbers thing. There's only so many roster spots. Good luck to you if you are right

Call me an optimist, but Elijah Holyfield is going to be a fine RB for somebody. He won't get drafted because of his atrocious 40 times, but someone will sign him and stash him on the PS for a year - then he's gonna be a steady 1,200 yard, 8-10 TD season RB. 

You won't mistake him for Zeke, Barkley or Gurley - but you might see some "good" Jay Ajayi or Jordan Howard out of him (or a poor man's Mark Ingram). He'll be a grinder who won't be running wild every week but a guy who puts in a consistent 60-80 yards a week and balances out a offense. 

I'm also bullish on WR Jalen Hurd. I get it he's really inconsistent at WR and has a ways to go, but the guy has drool-worthy tools at his disposal, and (I cringe when I say this) is just a football player. Somebody will grab him and let him contribute as a ST gunner, and he can continue refining his game a WR.

2-3 years from now, he could be a very good WR - not an elite guy, but a guy who flirts with a few 1,000 seasons and gets a 2nd contract as a higher end #2 WR. In essence, he's going to be what Terrelle Pryor was turning into while in Cleveland.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Call me an optimist, but Elijah Holyfield is going to be a fine RB for somebody. He won't get drafted because of his atrocious 40 times, but someone will sign him and stash him on the PS for a year - then he's gonna be a steady 1,200 yard, 8-10 TD season RB. 

You won't mistake him for Zeke, Barkley or Gurley - but you might see some "good" Jay Ajayi or Jordan Howard out of him (or a poor man's Mark Ingram). He'll be a grinder who won't be running wild every week but a guy who puts in a consistent 60-80 yards a week and balances out a offense. 

I'm also bullish on WR Jalen Hurd. I get it he's really inconsistent at WR and has a ways to go, but the guy has drool-worthy tools at his disposal, and (I cringe when I say this) is just a football player. Somebody will grab him and let him contribute as a ST gunner, and he can continue refining his game a WR.

2-3 years from now, he could be a very good WR - not an elite guy, but a guy who flirts with a few 1,000 seasons and gets a 2nd contract as a higher end #2 WR. In essence, he's going to be what Terrelle Pryor was turning into while in Cleveland.

Those are two guys I meant to put on this list and just forgot.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Former Vol superstud Jalen Hurd?

I agree with all of that.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Those are two guys I meant to put on this list and just forgot.

Thought you weren't high on Hurd? 

There's failure factor with him (can a late round/UDFA be considered a "bust"? Failure factor might be more apt vs bust factor) but there's upside to play with.

Push come to shove - sit him down, tell him his only shot is going to be as a RB and you have a guy who can probably develop into a great RB given his pedigree.

I have to agree, it's almost absurd at how many "name" prospects there are that are going to go really late or as UDFAs, particularly at CB, RB, and WR. In many cases, teams are going to pick up guys who could easily be 3rd-5th rd prospects without spending a draft pick on them. Just goes to show how deep some of the other positions are this year. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Thought you weren't high on Hurd? 

There's failure factor with him (can a late round/UDFA be considered a "bust"? Failure factor might be more apt vs bust factor) but there's upside to play with.

Push come to shove - sit him down, tell him his only shot is going to be as a RB and you have a guy who can probably develop into a great RB given his pedigree.

I was astonished when someone mentioned that he could be a 1st or 2nd round pick. He's an intriguing day 3 pick but his stock was soaring way too high for my liking.

Archived