Late Round Talent

BleedTheClock

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I was astonished when someone mentioned that he could be a 1st or 2nd round pick. He's an intriguing day 3 pick but his stock was soaring way too high for my liking.

I could see this as a "what the HELL!?" pick on day 2...

I definitely feel this sentiment.  Definitely feels like there is a larger than usual number of guys who are either projected as late round guys that i like a fair bit more than that, or are projected UDFAs who i think are very draftable.

Gonna be interesting, because there are only so many roster spots available and that depth probably means most teams are going to have easy shots at guys they still really like at whatever position they want/need, so it could be a real slog for some of these UDFAs to lock down roster spots in camp amid the surge of depth guys in this draft class.  But certainly gonna be a lot of guys who aren't going to get drafted that i'll be following pretty intently over the preseason/camp.

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm also bullish on WR Jalen Hurd. I get it he's really inconsistent at WR and has a ways to go, but the guy has drool-worthy tools at his disposal, and (I cringe when I say this) is just a football player. Somebody will grab him and let him contribute as a ST gunner, and he can continue refining his game a WR.

2-3 years from now, he could be a very good WR - not an elite guy, but a guy who flirts with a few 1,000 seasons and gets a 2nd contract as a higher end #2 WR. In essence, he's going to be what Terrelle Pryor was turning into while in Cleveland.

Hurd kinda reminds me of Cordarrelle Patterson, but without the electric return talent.  The trick for him, is going to be finding a way to hang around rosters with "value added" outside of a WR role.

I like him as a day 3 "offensive weapon" type flyer for sure.  Get him some designed touches here and there, see if he can develop into a real WR.  He's got some aptitude for it and plenty of upside.  But you're gonna have to find something he does to contribute elsewhere on ST in the meantime.  Be that as a gunner, returner, or something.  I'm certainly not that bullish on him though.  Not 1,000 yard season bullish.  But there's plenty of athletic ability there to be harnessed into something significant and i wouldn't kibosh that potential upside.

My late round WR/weapon/pet project guy in that sort of mold is Anthony Ratliff-Williams.  Might not be quite the raw athlete Hurd is, but he's still got a lot to offer in that regard and i think probably has a better shot at contributing as a returner early, while he learns the other stuff in his craft.  Same sort of deal overall, in a guy who i think you can scheme up some touches in creative ways and get mileage out of, while he develops as a WR.  But with even more options open there, more obvious value as a returner, and i kinda like his hands and physicality better.

It really looks like there are going to be plenty of interesting later round/UDFA guys worthy of working with as projects though.

• Like 1