My latest mock (updated, using CBS's rankings)

Magnus-Viktor

1-20.  TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa (17) - I debated back and forth here. Brian Burns?  TJ Hockenson?  Murphy or Baker at CB?  DK Metcalf?  In the end, after someone pointing out that Moncrief had been signed in FA to play WR (I knew it, but had completely forgotten about that signing) I changed the pick to my boy Hockenson.  I really like Brian Burns a lot too, but Hockenson has zero red flags whereas Burns needs to put on weight.  I've seen what happens to this offense when McDonald gets hurt, and James left in FA, so another starting caliber, NFL-ready TE is a big need.  Hockenson is Heath Miller, with more YAC ability.  

2-52.  Jermaine Pratt, ILB, NC State (66) - I initially had Juan Thornhill here, but after thinking about Davis & Edmunds being recent 2nd and 1st rounders respectively (even if they did lose Morgan Burnett & Davis is in his contract's last year), I decided to go with Pratt here.  A big guy, but a former S, he looks to be the kind of guy with the range and burst the team has been lacking since Shazier went down.  I think he's a lesser player, but fills a bigger need, and we all know how Tomlin and Colbert draft: Need only, because they miss on premium picks way too often to ever have depth taken care of going into the draft.

3-66.  Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson (68) - A big CB that looks the part to me.  He's hot and cold though and needs to develop.  Thank god they signed Nelson in FA, so a starting boundary CB is not an immediate need.  Otherwise I might have had to have taken Murphy or Baker in 1, and I'm not fond of burning a 1 on a CB that is under 6' AND is running a 4.52 or 4.55.  

3-83.  Andy Isabella, WR, UMass  (81) - The most dynamic WR in this draft.  His numbers were off the charts, as you can tell by watching him play.  Extremely quick, with the 4.31 speed to match.  A few too many body catches, but if Washington is worth a damn, and JuJu can hack it as a #1, he should provide a good compliment to them, providing those quick underneath routes that Brown ran.  

4-122.  Darius Slayton, WR, Auburn (127) - A vertical threat at WR has been missing for years.  Not anymore.  This guy is a Mike Wallace type.  So you now have JuJu as your do it all, Moncrief as an experienced big athletic type, Washington as your mediocre in everything guy, Isabella as your quick cuts underneath and Slayton as your vertical threat they've lacked since Mike Wallace left.  Now you can finally get rid of guys like Hunter and DHB that never quite produced going deep.  You also have a good RB in Conner & 2 stud TEs.  

Since I know someone will probably complain about drafting 2 WRs, take a step back and look at this:  You have JuJu and nothing else, currently on the roster, in my book.  No one else has produced at all as a WR.  These are the stats for the returning WRs from last year.  It's fugly:

JuJu - 111 for 1426 (12.8 average), 7 TDs.
Donte Moncrief (with the Jaguars) - 48 for 668 (13.9 average) and 3 TDs.
Ryan Switzer - 36 for 253 (7.0 average), 1 TD.  (16 games, 1 start, but at least he was a return man too)
James Washington - 16 for 217 (13.6 average), 1 TD.  (1 catch per game, and 1 TD on the entire season, with 14 games played and 6 starts, not my cup of tea)
Eli Rogers - 12 for 79 (6.6 average), 0 TD.  (only played in 3 games, all starts - managed to fumble one of his 12 touches)
Justin Hunter - 3 for 21 (7.0 average), 0 TD.
DHB - 1 for 9.

5-141.  Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston (155) - This is the best looking CB in this year's draft by a mile.  6'2" 205 lbs, 4.40 speed and great all around measurables.  He's a former WR, and needs developing, but he looks to have all the tools.  

6-175.  Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss (164) - Another athletic TE.  I look at Hockenson as McDonald's eventual replacement, and Knox is my depth TE that could eventually be Hockenson's running mate in 2-tight sets.  

6-192.  Blake Cashman, ILB, Minnesota (189) - A guy that tested out really well here at the combine, and I talked to a guy that was a U of M fan, and he said he makes plays and is a good blitzer.  I didn't take the time to watch much of him yet.  

6-207.  Chris Johnson, S, North Alabama (349) - I think he'll be a big riser, so I bumped him up a long ways from 349.  He's a 6'3" 200 lbs S that ran a 4.42 at a regional combine and had a 6.61 3-cone at his pro day.  The Steelers were at his pro day too, along with the Lions, Titans and Chiefs.  

7-219.  Wes Hills, RB, Slippery Rock (232) - I almost forgot to take a RB in this draft.  I want Miles Sanders or Justice Hill, but I didn't want to take a RB that early.  So here we are.  A big RB, which seems to be what the Steelers are looking for.  They're probably familiar with him since he played college ball in Pittsburgh.

UDFA.  Evan Worthington, S, Colorado (274) - I try to watch CU when I can, and this guy really stood out to me when I did.  I don't like that he was kicked off the team early on in his career, but by all acounts he matured and isn't like that anymore.  He looks like a playmaker to me and can play some of that hybrid S/LB role.  

Janes Washington improved and they seemed to like Moncrief...I’m all for improving weapons(big advocate of Hockenson in 1st) but it’s overkill.

Eli and Switzer aren’t anything special but they’re decent...Steelers are already 5 deep at WR. 

I still say WR isn’t touched til rd 3 at earliest...in fact I’ll say they go TE before WR come April(if they don’t sign anybody)

Metcalf screams bust...just me though.

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Janes Washington improved and they seemed to like Moncrief...I’m all for improving weapons(big advocate of Hockenson in 1st) but it’s overkill.

Eli and Switzer aren’t anything special but they’re decent...Steelers are already 5 deep at WR. 

I still say WR isn’t touched til rd 3 at earliest...in fact I’ll say they go TE before WR come April(if they don’t sign anybody)

Metcalf screams bust...just me though.

I completely forgot about Moncrief!  That definitely changes the dynamics of the roster a lot.  48 for 688 and 3 TDs, with 200 catches, 2500 receiving yards and 21 TDs for his career.  Big, dynamic athlete that has some experience.

I never much cared for Washington's skillsets when I watched OK State to check out Rudolph, and he hasn't impressed me at all as a Steeler.  

Eli and Switzer are basically non  factors getting you 6-7 ypc.  They're #4-5 caliber guys.  Rogers only has 250k dead cap if he's cut.  So he might not even make it to camp.  The guy couldn't even be active for 13 games last year.  Now whether that was because of injury or what, the fact is still the same.  

Metcalf might be a bust.  But he might be a stud.  I'd rather have Hockenson, except the need isn't as great at TE IMO......as long as Vance is healthy.  Losing Jesse James hurts though.  

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Your obsession with WRs is comical.  You have us drafting 3 or 4 in every mock you do.  And 3 with our first 5 picks?  xD

Look at the stats.  Or you could just post a moronic comment like usual that contributes absolutely nothing.  Yep, you took the 2nd option.  Imagine that.

I could dance with the first 3, based on value alone.  Metcalf is polarizing, but I feel will be much better as a pro than in college.  Hell, just having Ben will help.  While I do not think that WR is a need, he is too good to pass up at 15.  I am not sure what that does to Moncrief, but I'd be OK with it.  Thornhill is a little high, but I think he can transition to FS which is what we need now, not another SS.  Mullen is a good block of clay, but I'm not sure how good of a true CB he is.

After that, you jump the shark a bit.  Isabella is OK, if you are saying he is an upgrade to Rogers.  I'm OK with that.  Not ecstatic, but OK.  Slayton is overkill.  With needing a EDGE, this seems steep.  I feel the only way we can have all 3 is if we are trading Washington or Switzer.

Johnson is OK.  I am down with the double dip at corner here.  He is another block of clay for Bradley to mold.  Knox and Cashman here are steals!!!  Knox is a good TE 3 and Cashman as devlopmental ILB.  

Don't know the safety, but if he is big and athletic, I am OK with it.  Double dip at S is strange, but OK.  While I like Hills, I think we are more inclined to take a shifty back late.  Different than Samuels.  Another S at UDFA is odd.  I like Worthington, and think that he projects as a FS as well.

Overall, I'm disturbed that Edge was not addressed, no trench player was taken, and we add 3 safeties and 3 WR to the team.  I'd take the bones of your draft, mix in some other picks, and turn it loose. Like I said, I could stand the first 3 picks, and even stomach Isabella.  I'd also keep your first two 6th rounders as well, and maybe the CB Johnson.  But the Slayton, S Johnson and Hills picks have to go, and I'd have to look at Isabella.

4 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

1-20.  DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss (15) - I debated back and forth here. Brian Burns?  TJ Hockenson?  Murphy or Baker at CB?  In the end, after signing Barron and Nelson in FA, Dupree coming back, and McDonald being relatively healthy last year, I had to go with the freak.  His agility and COD numbers concern me, but he is so big, physical and fast, and when I saw him play he looked damn good, so I had to go with him here.  Burns and Hockeson might have been the best pick, and I have zero concerns with Hockenson, but WR is too great a need and he's by far the best WR available at this point, if he is actually available.  I mainly go BPA within reason in this draft.

2-52.  Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia (53) - A S that checks all the boxes.  Can play CB and cover the slot, but is also big enough to play S, with great athleticism.  

3-66.  Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson (68) - A big CB that looks the part to me.  He's hot and cold though and needs to develop.  Thank god they signed Nelson in FA, so a starting boundary CB is not an immediate need.  Otherwise I might have had to have taken Murphy or Baker in 1, and I'm not fond of burning a 1 on a CB that is under 6' AND is running a 4.52 or 4.55.  

3-83.  Andy Isabella, WR, UMass  (81) - The most dynamic WR in this draft.  His numbers were off the charts, as you can tell by watching him play.  Extremely quick, with the 4.31 speed to match.  A few too many body catches, but if Washington is worth a damn, and JuJu can hack it as a #1, he should provide a good compliment to them, providing those quick underneath routes that Brown ran.  

4-122.  Darius Slayton, WR, Auburn (127) - A vertical threat at WR has been missing for years.  Not anymore.  This guy is a Mike Wallace type.  So you now have Metcalf as your monster, JuJu as your do it all, Washington as your mediocre in everything guy, Isabella as your quick cuts underneath and Slayton as your vertical threat they've lacked since Mike Wallace left.  Now you can finally get rid of guys like Hunter and DHB that never quite produced going deep.  

Since I know someone will probably complain about drafting 3 WRs, take a step back and look at this:  You have JuJu and nothing else, currently on the roster, in my book.  No one else has produced at all as a WR.  These are the stats for the returning WRs from last year.  It's fugly:

JuJu - 111 for 1426 (12.8 average), 7 TDs.
Ryan Switzer - 36 for 253 (7.0 average), 1 TD.  (16 games, 1 start, but at least he was a return man too)
James Washington - 16 for 217 (13.6 average), 1 TD.  (1 catch per game, and 1 TD on the entire season, with 14 games played and 6 starts, not my cup of tea)
Eli Rogers - 12 for 79 (6.6 average), 0 TD.  (only played in 3 games, all starts - managed to fumble one of his 12 touches)
Justin Hunter - 3 for 21 (7.0 average), 0 TD.
DHB - 1 for 9.

5-141.  Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston (155) - This is the best looking CB in this year's draft by a mile.  6'2" 205 lbs, 4.40 speed and great all around measurables.  He's a former WR, and needs developing, but he looks to have all the tools.  

6-175.  Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss (164) - Another athletic TE.  I almost took Hockenson in 1, but decided to go defense instead even though Hockenson is my favorite player in the draft.  If McDonald gets hurt, the O falls apart.  

6-192.  Blake Cashman, ILB, Minnesota (189) - A guy that tested out really well here at the combine, and I talked to a guy that was a U of M fan, and he said he makes plays and is a good blitzer.  I didn't take the time to watch him myself yet.  

6-207.  Chris Johnson, S, North Alabama (349) - I think he'll be a big riser, so I bumped him up a long ways from 349.  He's a 6'3" 200 lbs S that ran a 4.42 at a regional combine and had a 6.61 3-cone at his pro day.  The Steelers were at his pro day too, along with the Lions, Titans and Chiefs.  

7-219.  Wes Hills, RB, Slippery Rock (232) - I almost forgot to take a RB in this draft.  I want Miles Sanders or Justice Hill, but I didn't want to take a RB that early.  So here we are.  A big RB, which seems to be what the Steelers are looking for.  They're probably familiar with him since he played college ball in Pittsburgh.

UDFA.  Evan Worthington, S, Colorado (274) - I try to watch CU when I can, and this guy really stood out to me when I did.  I don't like that he was kicked off the team early on in his career, but by all acounts he matured and isn't like that anymore.  He looks like a playmaker to me and can play some of that hybrid S/LB role.  

Honestly man, the first three picks, I would be fine with.
I do think you're sacrificing some higher picks on depth, and whether or not I agree with
you about how depleted our receivers are, it's just too much capital spent after that.
I'm not a Cashman fan, so I'd be really disappointed if he was the only LB we
cam out of this draft with. I think it's be irresponsible, frankly.

THis draft is so deep in Wr it is a crime to take on in the 1st round.  At least a misdemeanor to take one in the 2nd..

I'll try one:

1.20 Mack Wilson - Best Coverage LB in the draft.  His run playing is suspect.  If I am not taking Bush i am taking Wilson

2.52 Julian Love CB - Is is the type of CB they fall in love with.  Very good in off man and press coverage and a willing tackler

3.66 Chase Winovich EDGE Tomlin had dinner with him  This is about the right area for a high floor low ceiling player

3.83 Emanuel Hall WR -Steelers need a speed WR.  Hall will blow the tops off of defenses.

4.122 Miles Boykin WR ND This is their Alien replacement.  Big and fast.  Alternate pick.  Nate Davis OL Charlotte

5.141 - Dawson Knox TE Miss St - Natural ball skills and can run.  A good replacement for the outlaw

6.192 Jimmy Mooreland CB James Madison - it is a crime that they have Jimmy Mooreland rated so low.  If you want a guy who is both fast and agile, can track the ball in the air, has hands like a wide receiver, will be physical first, will talk trash to opponents all game long, and has a mentality to shutdown his opponents in every way possible. 

6.202 Will Harris FS Boston College

7.217 - Qudreee Ollison Rb Pitt

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

THis draft is so deep in Wr it is a crime to take on in the 1st round.  At least a misdemeanor to take one in the 2nd..

I'll try one:

1.20 Mack Wilson - Best Coverage LB in the draft.  His run playing is suspect.  If I am not taking Bush i am taking Wilson

2.52 Julian Love CB - Is is the type of CB they fall in love with.  Very good in off man and press coverage and a willing tackler

3.66 Chase Winovich EDGE Tomlin had dinner with him  This is about the right area for a high floor low ceiling player

3.83 Emanuel Hall WR -Steelers need a speed WR.  Hall will blow the tops off of defenses.

4.122 Miles Boykin WR ND This is their Alien replacement.  Big and fast.  Alternate pick.  Nate Davis OL Charlotte

5.141 - Dawson Knox TE Miss St - Natural ball skills and can run.  A good replacement for the outlaw

6.192 Jimmy Mooreland CB James Madison - it is a crime that they have Jimmy Mooreland rated so low.  If you want a guy who is both fast and agile, can track the ball in the air, has hands like a wide receiver, will be physical first, will talk trash to opponents all game long, and has a mentality to shutdown his opponents in every way possible.  That's Jimmy MF'in Moreland ( that is his nickname :-)

6.202 Will Harris FS Boston College

7.217 - Qudreee Ollison Rb Pitt

I almost took Boykin in mine, but I think it's laughable to think he'll be around as late as CBS projected him (136), so I left him off.  I think he's a 2 or possibly an early 3, which are the picks I had slated for defense.  

Same thing with Emanuel Hall.  I like him as well.  I just knew that I could get Isabella with that pick and take Slayton (similar player to Hall) with the next pick.  Agree that they need a speed WR.  

Winovich and Love don't do it for me.  Idk Mooreland, or Harris much either.  Not sure what to think about Mack.

10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like @jebrick's a lot better. I'd like it way more if we took Christian Miller instead of Winovich, though.

They had dinner with Winovich which practically makes him a Steeler already...I’d be fine with him especially if it’s with our 3rds or later.

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

They had dinner with Winovich which practically makes him a Steeler already...I’d be fine with him especially if it’s with our 3rds or later.

Oh, I don't hate Winovich in the 3rd. I'd just rather have Miller. I wouldn't even mind Winovich in the 2nd, though I wouldn't like it as much.

Archived