How Much Weight Do You Give PFF Grades?

the lone star

I think they’re interesting and a good way to gauge how other players compare to each other.

But they’re way too flawed to rely on for much more than that.

Also, totally depends on position. Some of their rankings are WTF bad 

Very little considering I’m still not sure how you give out grades at halftime of a game or 10mins after the game. No damn way they’ve watched every play from every player. Don’t care how many people they have working for them. They’re interesting for rankings but other than that, eh,

I hate them for comparions, especially that overall rate, which is ridiculous.

Their in depth stats, or w/e they call them, are actually pretty good, for the most part. And ranking based on that, is actually useful and can help define specific player traits.

They don't always sync up with the eye test. Sometimes horribly so. But they're clearly the best system that's been developed so far, so yeah I look at their stuff. It would never really change my opinion on a player one way or another, but it's a cool way to interpret the rest of the league that you might not get a chance to regularly watch.

For example, after his rookie season OJ Howard was rated as the worst TE in the NFL. That's craziness. Just 12 months later he was in the top 5 TE's in the NFL. And this is just 1 of many instances of this happening. I'm not sure exactly how they grade, but there is a flaw to the system. Either overanalysis or not weighing certain things more than others maybe, but there is a flaw within their grading scale. That being said, it's better than any scale I ever created (none) so good on them.

When it tells me a player I like is good: it's the source of truth in the universe, and questioning it is akin to treason.

When it tells me a player I like is not good: it's trash and lazy analytics, and telling me otherwise is being a mindless sheep. 

I actually like it to give me an understanding of how OL and CBs rate out. I can't rely on standard stats for these spots, so this tells me if a guy is good or bad.

Instead of looking at overall grade, look at their specific in depth stats. They literally track everything you could possibly think of. Their grade is a formula but their in depth stats is factual stuff and no one else does it. 

I think it's worth having around. I'm glad someone is differentiating between a 20 yard pass with a wide open receiver with no pressure, and a 20 yard pass which had to have immaculate placement whilst QB is under duress. Correct me if I'm wrong, but using standard stats like passer rating, they're both the same on paper, right? In PFF - they will grade the second one higher, as it's more difficult. So, in this case - I'm all for it.

There are some head scratchers though, and they need to be more transparent. 

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

When it tells me a player I like is good: it's the source of truth in the universe, and questioning it is akin to treason.

When it tells me a player I like is not good: it's trash and lazy analytics, and telling me otherwise is being a mindless sheep. 

I actually like it to give me an understanding of how OL and CBs rate out. I can't rely on standard stats for these spots, so this tells me if a guy is good or bad.

Pretty much.

Their stats are nice, but their ratings are pretty bad. The only positions where I really would give their ratings any credence is offensive line because to be frank it's really difficult to quantify offensive line play.  

Archived