Emmanuel Ogbah to be traded

BleedTheClock

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Understatement. I hate this CB class.

Also, people are getting spoiled. How many teams out there have a stud #1 CB and a stud #2 CB? Do any?

Casey Hayward/Desmond King

Jason Verrett/Richard Sherman

Jalen Ramsey/AJ Bouye

Denzel Ward/Terrance Mitchell(mehh)

Aqib Talib/Marcus Peters

Kyle Fuller/Prince Amakumara

Mincah Fitzpatrick(?)/Xavien Howard

Chris Harris/Kareem Jackson/Bryce Callahan

Marlon Humphrey/Jimmy Smith/Tavon Young

Obviously this depends on your definition of 'studs' for some of these guys, but these are a few of the CB groups that definitely have great guys

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Casey Hayward/Desmond King

Jason Verrett/Richard Sherman

Jalen Ramsey/AJ Bouye

Denzel Ward/Terrance Mitchell(mehh)

Aqib Talib/Marcus Peters

Kyle Fuller/Prince Amakumara

Mincah Fitzpatrick(?)/Xavien Howard

Chris Harris/Kareem Jackson/Bryce Callahan

Marlon Humphrey/Jimmy Smith/Tavon Young

Obviously this depends on your definition of 'studs' for some of these guys, but these are a few of the CB groups that definitely have great guys

Good list. That's 9 teams in the NFL with 2 legitimate starting caliber CB's. I just don't see the urgency to upgrade CB. Sure we could, but it's not some burning need. I don't think our secondary will get burned at all this year, especially given that we are moving to more of a zone heavy scheme. This will ask our pass rush to get home quicker rather than asking our DB's to play press man for long periods of time. Luckily we bolstered our pass rush and I expect Garrett to take the next step into dominance this year. Our defense will be nasty if we can find a SS, a NCB, and add some late round depth at DL and LB'er.

Adding Rapp in the 2nd round, Joe Jackson in the 3rd, and Jaquan Johnson in the 4th gives us a stud SS, a beastly 3rd DE, and a perfect zone NCB. Sign or trade for a linebacker and we now have a disgusting defense to go along with an offense that would make the Greatest Show on Turf Rams teams envious.

15 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Good list. That's 9 teams in the NFL with 2 legitimate starting caliber CB's. I just don't see the urgency to upgrade CB. Sure we could, but it's not some burning need. I don't think our secondary will get burned at all this year, especially given that we are moving to more of a zone heavy scheme. This will ask our pass rush to get home quicker rather than asking our DB's to play press man for long periods of time. Luckily we bolstered our pass rush and I expect Garrett to take the next step into dominance this year. Our defense will be nasty if we can find a SS, a NCB, and add some late round depth at DL and LB'er.

Adding Rapp in the 2nd round, Joe Jackson in the 3rd, and Jaquan Johnson in the 4th gives us a stud SS, a beastly 3rd DE, and a perfect zone NCB. Sign or trade for a linebacker and we now have a disgusting defense to go along with an offense that would make the Greatest Show on Turf Rams teams envious.

Dont forget veteran camp cuts because of $$$. There will be some good players we dont even know about still out there in the next few months who could easily come in and contribute as CB2 or CB3.

As far as the draft. I would like for them to add a future starting OT in the 2nd-4th sort of like they did with Corbett. I am currently not sold on Robinson/Hubbard/Lamm being anything more than questionable and 1 injury turns that group into a disaster. Having a capable rookie to groom and fill in where needed would help me sleep a lot better at night.

Outside of that go crazy on defense 

Corner is always going to be a position that you end up taking at least one of in the draft.  Based simply on need for numbers at the position of nothing else.  If you look at what we currently have though, I do think we need to add another competent body to the group.  Someone that is going to be on the 45, not just the 53.  Ward, Mitchell, Carrie.  I agree, if healthy, we aren't in dire straights there.  But, for starters, it's nice to have 4 CB's you can semi-trust on a given Sunday, but certainly 3.  Secondly, Mitchell missed half of last year, and Ward had his own injury issues.  We are going to miss games at the position, and it could even be more than one guy at a time.  If Ward were to go down for a chunk of time, we are really lacking in experience at the position.  You can't roll out Carrie/Mitchell/no one else and expect professional level OC's not to find a mismatch they like, with NFL WR talents.  I'm in line with the thought that not many teams have 2-3 studs at the position group, so I'm not necessarily saying that's realistic.  However, another TJ Carrie type of guy.  With our lack of depth at safety, moving Randall down to CB in a pinch is just robbing Peter to give to Paul.  If there's a real question mark position group on this team, it has to be the DB unit.  Randall and Ward are excellent, but there's not depth in talent. 

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

All the guys you mentioned tested somewhat poorly at the combine.  Could you see any of those guys being off Dorsey's board due to lack athleticism?

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

All the guys you mentioned tested somewhat poorly at the combine.  Could you see any of those guys being off Dorsey's board due to lack athleticism?

Thats the only reason they’d be available to us. They’re 1st round talents on tape but lack the measurables. Except Joe Jackson, who has prototype traits. I don’t worry about speed in a zone scheme. We just need heady players that don’t miss tackles or give up big plays. 

Archived