Emmanuel Ogbah to be traded

BleedTheClock

@ReggieCamp

imo, You don't do it for the benefit of the player per se but you do it (be guarded publicly that is) for the benefit of the other players in the locker room who might wonder "Damn... Duke sacrifices for the team, keeps his head down and works, leads despite being disappointed about his usage, is a good guy, and Dorsey is going to talk about him and put him out there like that when Kareem's a beast but be hittin females... sh*t it's a business but I'm not going to lie that's F-ed up"....

If you think players don't pay attention when the duke stuff is a national headline on social media, ESPN and everywhere else... you'd be mistaken.

Then, fan's are stressin Duke out on Twitter.. MKC and reporters calling duke up for comment... fans monitoring his reactions to stuff ... Duke was out to eat with Chad Thomas, Chris Hubbard, and Kirko and commented "tiresssd of this craziness" ... you don't think Kirko and Hubbard noticed and felt for him.

I'm just saying the players know it's a business, but it was not the ideal way to handle the situation publicly... it sent the wrong message to the team about what is valued and what isn't  and furthermore added undue stress to a player that didn't deserve it when trade negotiations could've been more private (other players and agents notice that). It's not a major tragedy but much like dorsey deserves praise he earned some honest, minimal criticism with the duke stuff.

It doesn't take genius to sign kareem hunt by the way. Just low tolerance for off the field stuff. I give credit where it is due. Vernon, OBJ... Amazing... Duke stuff not well handled publicly.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

@Mind Character

I guess we'll see.  I don't think Dorsey did anything particularly wrong.  What he has said publicly has been pretty mundane, and again, him publicly praising Duke and/or Ogbah isn't going to accomplish anything.

In the end, we're talking about maximizing the trade value for our 3rd DE and 3rd RB.  I love it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

@ReggieCamp

imo, You don't do it for the benefit of the player per se but you do it (be guarded publicly that is) for the benefit of the other players in the locker room who might wonder "Damn... Duke sacrifices for the team, keeps his head down and works, leads despite being disappointed about his usage, is a good guy, and Dorsey is going to talk about him and put him out there like that when Kareem's a beast but be hittin females... sh*t it's a business but I'm not going to lie that's F-ed up"....

If you think players don't pay attention when the duke stuff is a national headline on social media, ESPN and everywhere else... you'd be mistaken.

Then, fan's are stressin Duke out on Twitter.. MKC and reporters calling duke up for comment... fans monitoring his reactions to stuff ... Duke was out to eat with Chad Thomas, Chris Hubbard, and Kirko and commented "tiresssd of this craziness" ... you don't think Kirko and Hubbard noticed and felt for him.

I'm just saying the players know it's a business, but it was not the ideal way to handle the situation publicly.

It doesn't take genius to sign kareem hunt by the way. Just low tolerance for off the field stuff. I give credit where it is due. Vernon, OBJ... Amazing... Duke stuff not well handled publicly.

I hear what you're saying, but I think there's a good side to it. Dorsey didn't shut down rumors - sucks for some players like Duke for sure but it's a business. If Dorsey came out and shut down those rumors then traded Duke, how does that make the players feel? When the public is constantly asking questions about rumors, then there's nothing he can do to keep it from being public unless he lie about it.

You can't be short-sighted. The plan is to build something strong and a GM has to have the confidence and respect by the players. His integrity is important.

By doing it the way he's doing it, if Dorsey comes out and says, "We're not trading player X." then the Browns players and fan-base will believe it fully. Unlike Gettleman who swore up and down they didn't sign Odell to trade him and doesn't appear to know what he's doing or have a clear plan (if you feel you gotta convince everyone you have a plan... then you don't have a plan).

Maybe Duke is stressed or upset and maybe Kirksey is frustrated or whatever but if Duke's gonna be traded then it's only a temporary situation you have to deal with. Gotta maintain integrity and build for the long-term.

• Like 1

I think when we made the deals to trade for Vernon and sign hunt especially the signing of hunt it really wasn’t a very well kept secret that we were going to shop Ogbah and Duke. The majority of average fans I think could see that let alone GM’s who understand how this business works 100 times over

• Like 1

Just now, ReggieCamp said:

@Mind Character

I guess we'll see.  I don't think Dorsey did anything particularly wrong.  What he has said publicly has been pretty mundane, and again, him publicly praising Duke and/or Ogbah isn't going to accomplish anything.

In the end, we're talking about maximizing the trade value for our 3rd DE and 3rd RB.  I love it!

I mostly agree with you... we will see.

You're right... what he said was mundane.. I agree... But the thing is This is billions of dollar business with hundreds of millions of fans ... every word is parsed and matters when it comes to generating headlines/stories ... Dorsey is a veteran at this he knew what he was doing... there's a reason why after that press conference "Duke on the trade block" became a national headline for weeks ... headlines also are read by the players and can influence internal perceptions of what's valued more out of player versus what's not... that to me is where dorsey's words matter the most ..

Idk man...I'm not sure if it maximizes trade value by publicly putting a for sale sign out there that may disgruntle a player and have thek not report thereby taking away leverage from the team b/c other teams may think "he's not reporting let's low ball them on the offer because now we know that player may be waived to avoid constant questions about their non-report status and distractions"

9 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I think when we made the deals to trade for Vernon and sign hunt especially the signing of hunt it really wasn’t a very well kept secret that we were going to shop Ogbah and Duke. The majority of average fans I think could see that let alone GM’s who understand how this business works 100 times over

Indeed... connect the dots was easy... thus, the greatness of meaning of the quote "what's understood doesn't need to be spoken"