Bears Get Fool's Day Bites

soulman

Bears go all out for April Fool's joke about 100th-anniversary jerseys

USATSI_11857160.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

The Chicago Bears set this up last week at the NFL owners’ meetings. That’s how deep this ran. The club said they’d reveal a special jersey announcement for the 2019 season commemorating the team’s 100th anniversary, and on April Fool’s Day, they let ‘er rip.

And man, did I fall for it.

D3Eg-cbXcAEGFJ2.jpg

Video:

The Bears shared a video on Twitter announcing they’d be wearing triple-digit jersey numbers in 2019. For example, Mitch Trubisky would wear 110.

Blech.

Thank God it’s a joke.

You have to give the Bears credit for how committed they were. Trubisky probably won’t get any acting gigs anytime soon, but he tried his best to sell his excitement for the change.

“First, I thought the idea was kind of crazy,” Trubisky said via the team’s website. “I’m like, ‘Why are we all changing our numbers?’ But you know what, it’s an honor to be part of this historic franchise. We’re celebrating our 100th-year anniversary and I think it will be pretty cool to put the ‘1’ in front of every single jersey number.

“I’m pretty pumped that I’m going to be wearing ‘110’ this year. We’re just going to roll and everyone’s going to be sporting the nice ‘1’ in front of their jersey number.”

Whether the Bears actually have something special planned for next season is not yet known. Hopefully, there won’t be any announcements until this day is over.

Archived