Draft Prospect RB's Who Fit Physical Profile For Bears Offense

soulman

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Justice Hill - Explosive home run hitter...if he can catch he is an outstanding fit.

Trayveon Williams - Concerned his best work came against his poorest competition...can run, catch and pass pro.

Ryquell Armstead - Most underrated back in the draft IMO...H/W/S guy with wiggle and every down size...injury history is a concern tho.

Darwin Thompson - Tarik Cohen lite...plays bigger than his size and has insane stop start ability...excellent in the passing game too.

Bryce Love - Explosive when healthy but seems banged up a lot.

Elijah Holyfield - Power, Power, Power and plays faster than he timed...no hands tho.

James Williams - I like Williams a little more than most...I see a lot of James White and in this scheme he makes a ton of sense.

Alexander Mattison - Spencer Ware clone.

Mike Weber - #3 RB who does everything well but nothing great...Benny Cunningham type.

Karan Higdon - Underrated by seemingly everyone...probably me included...another guy who can do a bit of everything.

Myles Gaskin - too many miles on the clock IMO.

Bruce Anderson - another #3 type.

Tony Pollard - More receiver than runner.

A lot of that list is pretty "meh" in my world.

Guys in round 4 that interest me

Dexter Williams-size and explosion, but can he catch?

Justice Hill-obvious explosion, but he is smaller.

Ryqeull Armstead-clear power but inconsistent flashing that 4.45 speed.

Devine Ozigbo-power and good speed

I like James Williams, but to me he is to close to a Cohen and not a Davis, which is what I think we need.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

A lot of that list is pretty "meh" in my world.

Guys in round 4 that interest me

Dexter Williams-size and explosion, but can he catch?

Justice Hill-obvious explosion, but he is smaller.

Ryqeull Armstead-clear power but inconsistent flashing that 4.45 speed.

Devine Ozigbo-power and good speed

I like James Williams, but to me he is to close to a Cohen and not a Davis, which is what I think we need.

No which takes him off my list...

I would honestly wait till round 5 and bring in a complement guy.

20 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No which takes him off my list...

I would honestly wait till round 5 and bring in a complement guy.

I do not think that they will wait till 5 unless someone really surprising falls to 87 or 126.

There is such a huge gap between 87 and 162 that I the talent bleed even at RB is going to be severe. I think they need more than just a compliment, they need someone they feel comfortable starting as a rookie if Davis gets hurt.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think that they will wait till 5 unless someone really surprising falls to 87 or 126.

There is such a huge gap between 87 and 162 that I the talent bleed even at RB is going to be severe. I think they need more than just a compliment, they need someone they feel comfortable starting as a rookie if Davis gets hurt.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Spencer Ware or another Vet back brought in after the draft to be Davis' backup.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Spencer Ware or another Vet back brought in after the draft to be Davis' backup.

My biggest problem with that is that there is no upside to those carries.

Where if Armstead or Hill are getting those carries they are going to improve and perhaps turn into something more than we think.

In 2016, when they handed the job to Howard, if they had handed it to some boring veteran who would give you a workman like 800 yards that would have been a disappointment. If you are being forced to give work to someone because of injury, especially at an instant impact position like RB, I would like to give them to someone who may be the Bears starting RB for 4 years.

@Madmike90 James Williams makes a ton of sense in this offense, I just don't love him as a runner.

Weber and Dexter Williams feel like the same dude to me, nothing really excites me about either of them

Justice Hill I like quite a bit, I just wonder if he can be a lead back in an offense. See a little Jamaal Charles in his game.

Just now, WindyCity said:

My biggest problem with that is that there is no upside to those carries.

Where if Armstead or Hill are getting those carries they are going to improve and perhaps turn into something more than we think.

In 2016, when they handed the job to Howard, if they had handed it to some boring veteran who would give you a workman like 800 yards that would have been a disappointment. If you are being forced to give work to someone because of injury, especially at an instant impact position like RB, I would like to give them to someone who may be the Bears starting RB for 4 years.

I think there is a strong chance Armstead or Ozigbo make it to the 5th round.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

@Madmike90 James Williams makes a ton of sense in this offense, I just don't love him as a runner.

Weber and Dexter Williams feel like the same dude to me, nothing really excites me about either of them

Justice Hill I like quite a bit, I just wonder if he can be a lead back in an offense. See a little Jamaal Charles in his game.

I just cannot see us throwing the ball to him enough, with Cohen, to make him a viable option in the offense.

52 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't think you need Hill to be a lead back.  I think its a rotation of guys.

I think Hill, Cohen, and Patterson give you guys that can be receivers or backs.  When I say receiver I mean they can also line up outside the box and create mismatches and stress a defense.

I think Davis is a guy that can catch out of backfield, but not run routes from outside box.  That is true of vast majority of RBs.   Singletary, Henderson, Armstead, Williams, etc.  I like some of those guys as RBs who can get tough yards and also catching ball out of backfield, but not as a guy who can line up at receiver and create mismatches.  

I would be really happy with Davis, Cohen, Hill and Patterson.  I think that would provide sufficient play options and stress a defense.   You could play Davis and Cohen or Patterson at same time.  I believe Hill could fill the Cohen/Patterson role too, but it remains to be seen.    

I think Henderson is super explosive out of backfield, but he isn't a back who can line up outside box and run routes.  Every time Memphis did that they picked the other guy to do it.

I think by taking a Hill you are sacrificing tough yard depth for a more dynamic player and Cohen/Patterson depth.  He isn't going to get you that tough 2 yards you need that Davis can get or a Singletary or Williams can get.  So short yardage downs often become passing downs.  But much of league is already doing that so it doesn't overly concern me.

I think the homeruns and space created by multiple function players will make up for lack of singles.  Brady always picks up those 1 yards on sneaks rather than having a FB or RB blast into it.    Be great if MT could learn to do that to that with his effectiveness. 

I don't know what Pace will do, but I would take Hill in 4th if he is there.  

28 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think by taking a Hill you are sacrificing tough yard depth for a more dynamic player and Cohen/Patterson depth.  He isn't going to get you that tough 2 yards you need that Davis can get or a Singletary or Williams can get.  So short yardage downs often become passing downs.  But much of league is already doing that so it doesn't overly concern me.

Excellent point and this is why I favor Singletary/Armstead/Williams

I don't see Armstead as a great fit because he's not very natural as a receiver and will create issues similar to Howard.

I really don't see enough upside in many of these guys to warrant an early pick. Is it worth spending a pick on Singletary or Williams when guys like Ware and Yeldon are available for cheap? I'd rather draft a developmental player with upside and address the need through free agency.

Just now, abstract_thought said:

I don't see Armstead as a great fit because he's not very natural as a receiver and will create issues similar to Howard.

I really don't see enough upside in many of these guys to warrant an early pick. Is it worth spending a pick on Singletary or Williams when guys like Ware and Yeldon are available for cheap? I'd rather draft a developmental player with upside and address the need through free agency.

Armstead runs with more wiggle and explosiveness than Howard...we still need some size at RB as ha always been the case in a Reid/Nagy offence.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Armstead runs with more wiggle and explosiveness than Howard...we still need some size at RB as ha always been the case in a Reid/Nagy offence.

Agreed. Armstead runs like he's shot out of a cannon, which is great most times but can be detrimental if holes aren't open. Needs to find a little more patience but this dude seemingly will get you 2-3 yards if there is no hole open.

Archived