Draft Prospect RB's Who Fit Physical Profile For Bears Offense

soulman

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Atleast from the last few threads on here Devin didn't seem to be a favorite of anyone. I like him quite a bit from the few games that I've watched. I think he'd keep the defenses guessing especially if him and Cohen lined up together. 

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

His 4th quarter play is one reason his combine numbers haven't damaged his placement with me. He is a football player more than an elite athlete, no argument here. 

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Impossible.  I would never be a drummer.  Crazy as I may be I'm never that crazy.

Same. Mediocre guitarist here, mediocre-er vocalist as well. Lol. Remember when Axl Rose got a bunch of guys like Buckethead together in the early 2000s and played on MTV, and Rose was trash and out of breath the whole time? If Darius Rucker has that same drop off, he will sound like me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Atleast from the last few threads on here Devin didn't seem to be a favorite of anyone. I like him quite a bit from the few games that I've watched. I think he'd keep the defenses guessing especially if him and Cohen lined up together. 

He's one of my favorite backs in the draft (that I think will be available at #87 for us). I'm re-watching the playoff game finally and I can see what Nagy was trying to do with Cohen and Mizzell on the field at the same time. Singletary would be a HUGE upgrade to Mizzell in those packages.

Just now, G08 said:

He's one of my favorite backs in the draft (that I think will be available at #87 for us). I'm re-watching the playoff game finally and I can see what Nagy was trying to do with Cohen and Mizzell on the field at the same time. Singletary would be a HUGE upgrade to Mizzell in those packages.

It's just a shame Lane Kiffin didn't throw the ball more to him. I thought that was really silly. 

3 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

It's just a shame Lane Kiffin didn't throw the ball more to him. I thought that was really silly. 

It was stupid, but apparently the Cleveland Browns thought enough of Singletary at the Combine to have him run routes with the WRs. He said he did and caught everything thrown to him. Dude is just a football player and if he's there at #87 I sincerely hope he's our pick.

3 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Speaking about Lane, the Jr high kid he offered a full ride to at USC is in this draft - David Sills. He's converted to WR. Not a bad day 3 prospect IMO. He's a serious red zone threat. 

I should bold face this but I won't.  I'm not stumping so much as continuing to carry the news that Pace and Nagy have shown a high level of interest in Devin Singletary so don't shoot the messenger but about all Pace and Nagy haven't done is crawl up Singletary's *** with a proctoscope.  Their interest level is high and I would not shrug it off as simply trying to be misleading or deceptive.  They're truly trying to see if he's the fit they want.

Bears have shown significant interest in Florida Atlantic RB Devin Singletary

usatsi_12262717.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By: Alyssa Barbieri | 52 minutes ago

The Chicago Bears have made it no secret that running back is a position that they’re coveting in this year’s NFL Draft. And you might want to become familiar with Florida Atlantic running back Devin Singletary because the Bears are showing some serious interest.

Among the roughly 15 running back prospects that the Bears have met with, Singletary is a player that has met with Chicago five times.

The Bears recently traveled to Boca Raton, where they had a private workout with Singletary. They previously met with him at his Pro Day and at the Scouting Combine. Also, Chicago is the first team that he’s had both a visit and a private workout with.

“I definitely feel like I’ve gotten to know that [Bears] staff better than the others,” Singletary told NFL.com. “I’m looking forward to seeing those guys again. I think they love my game and they know I can run the ball. They know I can catch, too, but they want to see me run some more routes.”

Singletary’s workout with the Bears was brief and focused on pass routes, which is something that the Bears are looking for in a running back.

Singletary is a patient runner with a nose for the endzone. His vision is what stands out immediately. He can make defenders look silly, as evidenced by his 113 broken tackles in 2018. Singletary is tough to bring down, and he rarely goes down on one tackle.

But Singletary lacks elite speed to breakaway from opponents in space, and he needs to work on refining his pass protection technique. He also has limited reps as a receiver, which is why the Bears wanted to see how Singletary fared running passing routes and catching passes out of the backfield.

But while the Bears have been the team that has shown Singletary the most interest, according to NFL.com, the FAU back knows not to assume things.

“You can get drafted by a team that hasn’t even reached out. I’ve been told that,” Singletary said. “So I’m trying not to assume this or that about the Bears or any other team that’s come down. I’ve heard from some teams who’ve told me they’re interested even though they didn’t bring me in for a visit or a workout.”

Singletary is definitely a player that has caught Ryan Pace’s eye, and perhaps he’s their guy come next week.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Kiper was on Waddle and Silvy and said he likes Devin Singletary or Trayveon Williams for us in round 3 or 4.

My feeling is those are two of the top guys on their wish list.  Both are smaller 3 down backs who could be used in a number of different ways and truly believe that's what we're after here.  A versatile supplemental back to pair with Davis and Cohen.

There are thing to like about both so much like shopping for anything you start big and then finally narrow it down to fewer choices and begin dealing with the nuances in order to determine a final preference but one of the two could easily be our guy.

•  
5 hours ago, G08 said:

His 4th quarter play is one reason his combine numbers haven't damaged his placement with me. He is a football player more than an elite athlete, no argument here. 

6 hours ago, soulman said:

Impossible.  I would never be a drummer.  Crazy as I may be I'm never that crazy.

Same. Mediocre guitarist here, mediocre-er vocalist as well. Lol. Remember when Axl Rose got a bunch of guys like Buckethead together in the early 2000s and played on MTV, and Rose was trash and out of breath the whole time? If Darius Rucker has that same drop off, he will sound like me. 

You could do far worse.  Darius Rucker has a hell of a good voice.  Smooth and soulful.  Kinda interesting that he had to move to modern country to make his mark though.  His stuff with Hootie and the Blowfish was very good.

As for Singletary he's a good RB.  Despite his juke move he's not fancy he just finds a way to break free and gain yardage and I think that skill will carry over to the pros as well.  Howard was a good goaline back and we need to replace that.  Singletary has that skill and then some.  He's small, slippery, powerful for his size, and tough to tackle because he's such a small target.

He and T Will are much alike in many ways and it's those two I believe Pace and Nagy have ranked highest as far as backs they feel they can get.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, soulman said:

My feeling is those are two of the top guys on their wish list.  Both are smaller 3 down backs who could be used in a number of different ways and truly believe that's what we're after here.  A versatile supplemental back to pair with Davis and Cohen.

There are thing to like about both so much like shopping for anything you start big and then finally narrow it down to fewer choices and begin dealing with the nuances in order to determine a final preference but one of the two could easily be our guy.

Not saying you’re wrong at all but FWIW Pace being this open with interest in a guy who’s actually a top target of his would be highly uncharacteristic of him. It would seem to be more a Pace move to feign strong interest in a guy hoping someone jumps him to get that guy instead of a true target. His style has always been far more subterfuge than open book. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not saying you’re wrong at all but FWIW Pace being this open with interest in a guy who’s actually a top target of his would be highly uncharacteristic of him. It would seem to be more a Pace move to feign strong interest in a guy hoping someone jumps him to get that guy instead of a true target. His style has always been far more subterfuge than open book. 

If we were talking about a 1st round pick I'd tend to agree but when it gets to the middle rounds and 31 other teams know you're taking a RB somewhere I don't think anyone's fooling anybody and surely not when you meet with a guy 5 times and conduct two workouts in addition to the Combine.

I'm just guessing here but it could be that the backs of most interest to us are not those as high on others list.  How many other teams draft 5'7" RBS who go around 200lbs and less?  Looking at the draft profile I first posted neither T Will or Singletary fit physically and neither does Cohen.

My belief is both Nagy and Pace see players in skill positions like having a full tool box where Nagy can grab the right guy for the scheme and play calls he has in mind.  There's really no obvious pattern at all.  Look at our receivers.

Last year we signed a 6'3" 215lb ARob and a 5'8" 165lb Taylor Gabriel and drafted a 6'3" 215lb guy.  Same at TE.  We drafted a 6'6" 270lb behemoth and paired him with a 6'3" 235lb "U" type FA in Trey Burton.  Even our two gadget guys Cohen and Patterson are like polar opposites in size.

Mike Davis is a pretty fair fit as a Nagy type back based on that profile whereas the others like T Will and Singletary are smaller yet they both offer something we don't have in another 3 down back.  There are couple other of this size as well but they don't rank as high and most of the rest are 5'11"-6' 220lb backs more in line with Davis size wise.  So what flavor RB are we after?  It's a Baskin-Robbins draft.  LOL

Edited by soulman
  • Like 3