Draft Prospect RB's Who Fit Physical Profile For Bears Offense

soulman

29 minutes ago, soulman said:

But your point was a "big dude who can run".

My response is does that really matter more than fast with hands and can run a route accurately when needed?

Whether a guy is 6'2" or 5'10" or even shorter if his primary job is as a deep threat all he has do is beat his man and be able to adjust to and catch the deep ball.  I saw Gabriel at just 5'8" do just that on a deep throw last year and we've all seen a 6'3" Kevin White be completely useless as a deep threat.

Flat out running by dudes happens pretty rarely in the NFL.

So there is value to being able to threaten with speed and have the size to fight for contested passes and to make adjust to the ball. A bigger player is also less likely to be bullied on the line or knocked off his route.

Most deep catches in the NFL are contested so size matters.

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Flat out running by dudes happens pretty rarely in the NFL.

So there is value to being able to threaten with speed and have the size to fight for contested passes and to make adjust to the ball. A bigger player is also less likely to be bullied on the line or knocked off his route.

Most deep catches in the NFL are contested so size matters.

That's probably why by my own observation even guys like AJ and ARob are good deep threats as well.  They can be covered but still make the catch.

My vision for the pure speed guy is during the course of a game you're only gonna have so many snaps where he's one on one with man coverage and other routes will occupy his deep help.  If he can uncover deep you have to hit those and may only happen once or twice a game and even then the QB still has to have time (protection) to allow the play to develop.

So the majority of your key completions are still gonna come in that 10-15 yard range.

But all that aside as I said in another thread I really don't have any favorites at any position in this draft.  I figure by the time you get to the middle rounds what's left are some decent high floor low ceiling guys mixed with higher ceiling higher risk picks and guys with injury issues.  So any GM has to navigate through all of that and find guys who fit his HCs schemes.  Pace has been quite good at that so I'm gonna watch and learn from what he does.

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

No more midgets.

Lets get a big dude who can run.

Calling Kevin White right now. Lol

There's more to it than  that of course. Isabella has a lot or burst in and out of cuts, he isn't just a guy to run fly routes. Pretty polished route runner compared to most rookies, but like I said I doubt he would even be there at 87. Try was MUCH better within 15 yards when passing than he was on deep passes, he was pretty much terrible on throws 20+ yards downfield (though several instances it was on the receiver too). His burst in and out of cuts is what would make him fit in here. Plus Miller is more than a slot, he is already better than Gabriel IMO. 

Archived