Draft Prospect RB's Who Fit Physical Profile For Bears Offense

soulman

Sure a lot of worries on the part of some about a rookie whose at least gonna start out as a having a limited number of carries.

If we run the ball 25 per game in 2019 (400 carries for the year) and on average Cohen and Patterson get 9-10 between them that leaves 15-16 carries to be split between Davis and his partner.  So what, maybe 3-5 carries per game initially for the rookie?   Three series laced throughout the game.

If Pace can't draft a back whose better than Mizzell to handle that and some receiving routes I'll be shocked.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

My rankings

Trade Up

1. Miles Sanders

2. Darrell Henderson

Stay at 87

3. Damien Harris

4. Trayveon Williams

I could love either Harris or T. Will at #87 and I'm wondering it Williams my not fall even farther than that.

Just curious as to you guys thoughts.  I know Rodney Anderson has not gotten a lot of buzz around here (I know injuries are scaring people off) but when healthy he put up impressive numbers.  Any thoughts on taking a chance on him if we address another position in the third?  There has been presidents of backs coming off of huge injuries and still performing well in the NFL (McGahee, Gore, Gurley to name a few).

Seeing a lot of people (on this forum and elsewhere) banging the drum for Trayveon Williams. He's a nice, well-rounded back with plus pass pro but I have to wonder if he is the right running scheme fit - didn't he run mostly pro-style outside zone at A&M? Also a lot of tread on the tires compared to other backs in his projected range.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

Seeing a lot of people (on this forum and elsewhere) banging the drum for Trayveon Williams. He's a nice, well-rounded back with plus pass pro but I have to wonder if he is the right running scheme fit - didn't he run mostly pro-style outside zone at A&M? Also a lot of tread on the tires compared to other backs in his projected range.

We do run both inside and outside zone schemes so in that regard he fits.  As it stands I believe Davis will be asked to handle the majority of the carries with whom ever he pairs with being the #2 back.

Where Williams fits best is his versatility and ability to pass block as well as his explosiveness.  He doesn't trail Henderson by much in that regard but he should be more of a utility back in this offense.

Since he's not gonna be asked to carry the ball 20-25 per game I don't think his high mileage means as much as other factors.

7 hours ago, soulman said:

We do run both inside and outside zone schemes so in that regard he fits.  As it stands I believe Davis will be asked to handle the majority of the carries with whom ever he pairs with being the #2 back.

Where Williams fits best is his versatility and ability to pass block as well as his explosiveness.  He doesn't trail Henderson by much in that regard but he should be more of a utility back in this offense.

Since he's not gonna be asked to carry the ball 20-25 per game I don't think his high mileage means as much as other factors.

Definitely like his versatility and I think he has great traits to fit into an offense primarily focused on passing the ball. Totally makes sense if Davis keeps the majority of the inside carries.

Thoughts on Jalin Moore as Trayveon lite in the 5th/6th round?

https://dawindycity.com/2019/04/10/chicago-bears-nfl-draft-running-back-sleeper/

10 minutes ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

Definitely like his versatility and I think he has great traits to fit into an offense primarily focused on passing the ball. Totally makes sense if Davis keeps the majority of the inside carries.

https://dawindycity.com/2019/04/10/chicago-bears-nfl-draft-running-back-sleeper/

My main issue is that Trayveon is already Henderson light.

That means Moore is not diet caffeine free Henderson.

26 minutes ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

Since I haven't looked into Jalin Moore I have none at the moment but I'm certain Pace and Nagy have and he could be on their short list as well.

While Davis isn't a sledgehammer back I do think he does his best work running north/south between the tackles.  If that's Nagy's intent then a back who compliments that should be their target and backs like T. Will who are faster and more explosive would seem to be where we're headed.

If we find a need for even more size and power inside we still have Ryan Nall to consider.

8 hours ago, soulman said:

the biggest thing trayveon brings is that he doesn't tip the offenses hand when he's in. while he might not be the best runner in this class, he can run, he can catch (go look at him catching the ball and you will see him do things howard can only dream of, and he can pass block really well (maybe best in this class). I'm all about him in the 3rd

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

the biggest thing trayveon brings is that he doesn't tip the offenses hand when he's in. while he might not be the best runner in this class, he can run, he can catch (go look at him catching the ball and you will see him do things howard can only dream of, and he can pass block really well (maybe best in this class). I'm all about him in the 3rd

The Bears just brought Devin Singletary in for a private workout so I'm gonna stay focused on those like him and T. Will who are 3 down backs and begin to eliminate those who are not.  I truly believe that's the direction Pace and Nagy are headed in and they may end up ranking several nearly equal and willing to wait until they perceive they're getting great value where they take him.

With needs at TE, CB, and SS as well I'm not even convinced a RB will be their first pick.

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

I said a while back, if healthy he is a solid pick up. I'd swing a 5th for him if he was going to make a decent recovery. He might be out this season but 3 years on a small rookie wage with with potential makes it a great risk/reward ratio.