Draft Prospect RB's Who Fit Physical Profile For Bears Offense

soulman

FWIW final RB draft rankings 1-20.  There are 31 total ranked backs but safe to say those ranked higher than 20 are probably 6th or 7th round picks or will be UDFA.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/gallery/2019-nfl-draft-rankings-running-back-josh-jacobs-david-montgomery-damien-harris/

1) Jacobs

2) Montgomery

3) Harris

4) Sanders

5) Henderson

6) Snell

7) Singletary

8) Hill

9) R. Anderson

10) T. Williams

11) J. Williams

12) Ozigbo

13) Armstead

14) Barnes

15) Thompson

16) Holyfield

17) Gaskin

18) Love

19) Mattison

20) B. Anderson

2 hours ago, soulman said:

And how do you come to the conclusion Mike Weber may have some incredible upside when he's the 25th ranked RB in this draft? 

Read what I type, not what you think I am typing... There is difference.

I never once said anything even remotely resembling Weber having some "incredible upside".... It's a Schrodinger's cat situation. The box on Davis is open already. I know what he is, and what he is, is a backup level player. He's a RB3 on any decent roster, NOT a RB1.....  Weber at least, is still an unknown at the NFL level, the box has not been opened yet, you don't yet know for sure what is inside.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Davis is likely to get a greater number than Cohen and whichever rookie we draft but there's no desperation.

The fact that we've interviewed or privately worked out with just about every single running back that is going to get drafted at all says otherwise, regarding desperation (and those are just the ones we know about)

We're in the market for a RB because Nagy wants to use a RBBC scheme

Yes... and RIGHT NOW, the running back that would be expected to take the majority of those snaps is a backup level player.  Cohen and Patterson are gadget guys.... hence the DESPERATION to scour the earth trying to find a draftable candidate they like.  It's not impossible, we relatively hit gold for a couple of years on Howard.... but it also sure as hell isn't likely.

Drafting at the end of round three we aren't gonna have our choice of the higher ranked RBs

Which is why you do diligence to see if there's an underrated draft gem you can get later, or you start working scenarios to move up to get a guy you value earlier than 87 (assuming there is such a person). Personally, I'm all in favor of going up to get actual talent at the position, because I apparently place a hell of a lot more importance on what is likely to be the person who touches the ball the third most on the team behind Trubisky and whoever the center is, than you do (and that's COUNTING him being part of a RBBC). I think Henderson is good enough to move up fairly significantly for, and I'm leaning towards Sanders being worth moving up moderately for.

If Davis fails to improve or flops completely (which I doubt) we're out $3 mil and we take a better back in 2020 when we have two 2nd round picks.

You're also out at least one or 2 seasons of contention (one season for this year, and potentially a second if the rookie struggles to acclimate quickly). Our window, if it's even still open with Fangio gone, is already closing before salary bombs start going off on our better players.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

Man, their rankings are way different than mine....

Henderson is MASSIVELY undervalued in that listing....

T. Williams is arguably undervalued as well...

Bryce Love is almost criminally undervalued, unless he failed medicals.

J. Williams is a number of spots higher than he should be.

Singletary is higher than he should be as well

Snell is way too high, compared to where I'd place him.

22 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Read what I type, not what you think I am typing... There is difference.

I did;  Quote; "Weber's ceiling isn't yet known."  Quote;  "though Weber at least could theoretically still develop into something."

Just how high of a ceiling do YOU expect a back whose not even ranked in the top 20 in his draft class to have?  All I did was substitute "upside" for ceiling and based on his scouting reports his ceiling is known.  Weber is ranked as a career backup and ST guy.  He's another Ka'Deem Carey or Adrian Peterson.  Not an impact player now or seemingly destined to become one so what do you expect him to develop into?  That's not to say we may not sign him if he goes undrafted but I don't see us spending a pick on him.  I watched his game tapes and he has limited NFL skills.

Look brother you seem to have your own logic regarding Davis vs Weber and the whole RB deal, I have mine, and we're worlds apart.

The box is open on Davis.  He's proven to be a productive NFL back.  Weber has been seen as a productive college back but is also by two different rankings either the 21st or 25th best back in this draft and a far more likely prospect to be taken in the 6th-7th round or even signed as an UDFA than he is a 3rd or 4th round pick.  If YOU believe he's somehow better than Davis and can take his spot you go right ahead but you could include a new set of tires and I'm not buying it.  And.....how in the hell did Schrodinger's Cat hypothesis get into this?  Both backs have been observed.

And if you don't like those rankings try these which are the post Combine rankings from the NFL.  They aren't all that different.  You can have whatever opinions you like but it doesn't make them correct or more correct than scouts and analysts whose job it is to be more correct than we can ever be.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/RB?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL

We aren't gonna agree on this so I see no sense in continuing a circular debate.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Man, their rankings are way different than mine....

Henderson is MASSIVELY undervalued in that listing....

T. Williams is arguably undervalued as well...

Bryce Love is almost criminally undervalued, unless he failed medicals.

J. Williams is a number of spots higher than he should be.

Singletary is higher than he should be as well

Snell is way too high, compared to where I'd place him.

Pretty much the same for me.

I can't even put a real orderly list together for this class. I have my top 5 and then it basically goes into groups of a few players that are all about the same. They could go up or down based on what you need. If you need a power/short yardage back then the ranking goes up significantly on 3-4 guys, but tanks if you want someone who can get more than dump offs for 2-4 yards. 

I'm ranking by where they are a decent value in drafting IMO, for better or worse it makes it an easier ordeal to me.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Pretty much the same for me.

I can't even put a real orderly list together for this class. I have my top 5 and then it basically goes into groups of a few players that are all about the same. They could go up or down based on what you need. If you need a power/short yardage back then the ranking goes up significantly on 3-4 guys, but tanks if you want someone who can get more than dump offs for 2-4 yards. 

I'm ranking by where they are a decent value in drafting IMO, for better or worse it makes it an easier ordeal to me.

And that's the point we need to consider in terms of who'll be a fit for Nagy's scheme.  Our top five may begin more realistically with who might possibly be available at #87 or later.

I'd love to see us get a shot at Damien Harris or Sander or even Henderson but our chances of that happening are slim especially if there's a run on backs early in round three.

Once you get passed the top 5 backs the next tier has far less separating them in ranking but some fit and some don't.  One reason we've spent the most time with T Will and Singletary is they're both in that next grouping and both fit our needs as versatile 3 down backs.

I haven't looked much at Damien Harris because I didn't think there was a chance in hell he'd be there at 87. I'm starting to see some respected evaluators post their top 100, 150 rankings and Harris is landing around the 87, 88 mark (Gil Brandt the most recent).  

And that's the point we need to consider in terms of who'll be a fit for Nagy's scheme.  Our top five may begin more realistically with who might possibly be available at #87 or later.

I'd love to see us get a shot at Damien Harris or Sander or even Henderson but our chances of that happening are slim especially if there's a run on backs early in round three.

Once you get passed the top 5 backs the next tier has far less separating them in ranking but some fit and some don't.  One reason we've spent the most time with T Will and Singletary is they're both in that next grouping and both fit our needs as versatile 3 down backs.

I'd like to but TBH I have no idea what that entails yet   lol

We assumed a lot would have to do with what HC ran and their reliance on speed and deep shots, but then we go after Robinson and Miller (who are athletes and great and all, but neither are burners), we go get Gabriel and use him as a dump off magnet, and we had two RBs - one that ran and one that caught and sometimes ran. He obviously spreads the ball around but there isn't a true identity to the offense in any way IMO, hopefully this year they get things going. Do we force the issue and run primarily power again even though it seemed like the line was mediocre at it while being one of the best zone blocking units the previous 2 years? If so then we are further limiting the pool of RBs that we are looking at IMO. If we run a more balanced system then there are more options to look at.

Those 3 are in my top 5, so I doubt they are there. RBs are not valued like QBs, EDGE, or LTs, but they are a very valuable commodity if they are talented. While drafting in the top 10 is a rarity, they will still get snagged late 1st and 2nd with regularity, so I doubt with this class any make it that far. Maybe one did poorly in interviews or had a medical issue that I have no clue about, IDK. But I won't hold my breath on them being there at 87.

Williams, I wish I could get excited about him, but he seems like he goes down WAY too easily by the first tackler, is a really overrated receiver, and doesn't make people miss in space with regularity. He will outrun them though.  If this was a guy with Snell or Holyfield power then I'd have something to balance it. He is a damn good passblocker, but I'd rather him be a weapon rather than a guy who can't make plays more frequently in the pass game. He seems heavy footed too, more of a track star than an elusive back. To me he is a big reach in the 3rd, a really big one.

I just want the damn draft to get here. lol

I make a thread where you get to be the GM, make your picks in real time and I'll compile the draft classes. There are rules with trades and such, you should jump in this year.

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears are heading to Florida Atlantic University on Wednesday to conduct a private workout with Singletary, less than a month after the team brought him to Chicago for an official visit.

"I definitely feel like I've gotten to know that [Bears] staff better than the others," FAU’s Devin Singletary told NFL.com. "I'm looking forward to seeing those guys again. I think they love my game and they know I can run the ball. They know I can catch, too, but they want to see me run some more routes."