Draft Prospect RB's Who Fit Physical Profile For Bears Offense

soulman

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

@WindyCity apparently the Cleveland Browns asked him to stay after his combine performance and run routes with the WRs. He said he ran a few for them and caught everything.

After Howard I was expecting them to prioritize burst and long speed.

I am going to look more into him this week with this much buzz.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

After Howard I was expecting them to prioritize burst and long speed.

I am going to look more into him this week with this much buzz.

I just don't think his 40 time, 10 yard split or his cone "show up" on tape. He just doesn't look like that slow and unathletic of a player. I love his vision, I love his ability to juke/cut, and this dude just has a nose for the endzone. He's going to be a good one, I think.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I just don't think his 40 time, 10 yard split or his cone "show up" on tape. He just doesn't look like that slow and unathletic of a player. I love his vision, I love his ability to juke/cut, and this dude just has a nose for the endzone. He's going to be a good one, I think.

You can see a lack of 2nd gear in the open field, but I agree his vision and cuts in the hole are nasty and he runs stronger than I expected.\

He didn't really catch the ball last season, but the year before he had 18 for 180 with 2 catches of 40+.

I will trust Nagy to get his RB, if Singeltary is the pick then we know it was not long speed that was a top criteria.

• Like 1

Pace, when asked about RBs a number of times this offseason, has really emphasized the term VISION, often saying it first, and repeatedly during his answers.

I can like Singletary's ankle breaking jukes, and still be low on him as an overall prospect because of his atrocious 10 yard split, 40, and 3 cone measurements..... but I will say he has some of the better eyes for RBs in this class and I can't off the top of my head think of any specific plays where I wondered what exactly he was thinking at the time. Henderson and Sanders, despite being my RB1 and RB2 for us, have each had a few such plays.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You can see a lack of 2nd gear in the open field, but I agree his vision and cuts in the hole are nasty and he runs stronger than I expected.\

He didn't really catch the ball last season, but the year before he had 18 for 180 with 2 catches of 40+.

I will trust Nagy to get his RB, if Singeltary is the pick then we know it was not long speed that was a top criteria.

Here's a decent video: https://www.patriots.com/video/2019-draft-prospects-devin-singletary-rb-florida-atlantic

With regards to catching, you can thank Lane Kiffin for that. For whatever reason he didn't utilize this kid in the passing game even though he nicknamed him "Baby Bush".

He doesn't have the long speed but really only a handful of NFL backs have the ability to take it to the house. I think after last season Nagy wants someone with short area burst who can quickly identify and hit holes. Ideally, the player would be able to flex out and run routes from the slot. I think that's the allure in Singletary's game... if Pace/Nagy feel like he can be that route runner, I'd be hard-pressed to not think he's one of their top choices.

We have options and I'm comfortable with Singletary, Williams, Armstead, etc. We'll get a decent back when it's all said and done I imagine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If he plans on using Patterson as a RB even more than NE did he's the guy with long speed.  Nagy just has to come up with some clever ways to scheme him so he has a shot at breaking free.

What I saw in Singletary from watching his tape is a kid who can score and who can gain positive yardage nearly every carry.  He lacks top speed but he can play well in a "phone booth" because he has quick feet and jukes he can use to make the first guy miss.  He also has good vision and enough burst to hit any small crease fast and hard.  His compact frame makes him tough to arm tackle and he show reasonable power for his size.

Would I take him as my #1 back?  No  But as a compliment to Davis and Cohen he fits especially near the goaline.  He knows how to get into the end zone.

Edited by soulman

He has no measurables per the combine, but to my eye he can play football.  Very difficult to tackle.  Hard to bring down and he's elusive.

Pass block at 3:20 isn't going to cut it. Pretty sad.

Good football player, but I didn't think this was kind of RB Bears were looking for.   I thought they wanted guys they could line up outside and provide mismatches in passing game and run game.

We'll see I guess.  He would be a fun player to watch if they drafted him.

I am done trying to guess the pick.  I'll just review and evaluate who they do take.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He has no measurables per the combine, but to my eye he can play football.  Very difficult to tackle.  Hard to bring down and he's elusive.

Good football player, but I didn't think this was kind of RB Bears were looking for.   I thought they wanted guys they could line up outside and provide mismatches in passing game and run game.

I am done trying to guess the pick.  I'll just review and evaluate who they do take.

That was a rough game.  Every player on SF was better than every player on FAU save Singletary.  FAU O line getting dominated.  

28 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

As I've posted, you can see how he fits as well as where he doesn't.  Even when UCF was able to contain him it usually took more than one guy to take him down and you really have to wrap him up.  He's not easy to tackle.  I just depends on the skill set Nagy is after.

I think one advantage of focusing on Singletary and T Will is they're more likely to still be on the board late in round 3 or in round 4 than others.

If we didn't already have Mike Davis I'd love to take Damien Harris but my take on both is they're very similar backs and I think Nagy want someone a bit different to compliment that. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

The more I zero in on this kid the more I see LeSean McCoy lite.

I think he's leapfrogged Trayveon Williams as my pick for the Bears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I gave up trying to guess the pick a few years ago. Lol.

I just like to throw in my input and listen to others' points of view. 

After the first two rounds it gets much tougher.

I had Smith nailed last year and I knew we needed an OG/OC and Daniels was one of three I had as targets.  But the trade back for Miller was unplanned.

The only thing we can do this year to hone in a bit more is to treat 3, 4, and 5 like they are a 1,2, and 3 where we want a guy with starting potential in round three and prospects as future core starters in rounds 4 and 5.

In another era I wouldn't even have thought that possible but Pace has been pretty shrewd in those middle rounds so it's not all that unlikely.

I figure RB, TE, and DB (either CB or SS) but I have no real clue as to what order he'll take them in other than a hunch he'll draft for offense first.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, soulman said:

The box is open on Davis.  He's proven to be a productive NFL back.

I’m with you, man. @Epyon nobody is proclaiming Mike Davis to be the second coming, but what about Davis’ production in a RB2 role last year in Seattle (which was really solid, and from a ypc standpoint really good) are you not buying? Is it just the lack of a long term track record prior to 2018? It was the first year he wasn’t buried behind an established encumbant (2015/16 in SF behind Hyde) or elevated midseason off the practice squad (2017 Seattle). Teams buy on upside with ascending players constantly. We did just that with Hicks and struck gold. It’s not foolproof by any means but you’ve already dismissed it as a loss 2 days into offseason training sessions before even a practice jersey has been donned. If you don’t see the upward trend for Davis coming off of 2018 then you’re actively choosing not to see it. Whether or not it’s sustainable is the only question. The presumed draft pick is the hedge to the bet - figuring out the best hedge is just as likely the reason for the exhaustive prospect evaluation. Well, that and a lack of need to evaluate the top 50 or so prospects at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G08 said:

The more I zero in on this kid the more I see LeSean McCoy lite.

I think he's leapfrogged Trayveon Williams as my pick for the Bears.

I'm not huge on Singletary but like him WAY more than I do Williams. If Pace likes him then I'd be absolutely fine with it