Mock Draft Madness

THE DUKE

I've been doing a lot of mocks on Fanspeak lately.  Creating this thread to post when I run across an interesting one.  Did this one just now and while I started off predictable, I went a couple different directions:

11: R1P11
LB DEVIN BUSH
MICHIGAN
42: R2P10
QB DANIEL JONES
DUKE
72: R3P8
TE DAWSON KNOX
OLE MISS
110: R4P8
OT MAX SCHARPING
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
149: R5P11
EDGE JALEN JELKS
OREGON
183: R6P10
LB BLAKE CASHMAN
MINNESOTA
198: R6P25
WR DAVID SILLS V
WEST VIRGINIA
210: R6P37
DL DANIEL WISE
KANSAS
211: R6P38
CB JORDAN MILLER
WASHINGTON
213: R6P40
K COLE TRACY
L.S.U.
223: R7P9
RB TONY POLLARD
MEMPHIS

• Bush is the obvious pick.  Instant starter at WLB and partners with Vigil as the nickel LB's
  • Jones was still there and becomes the heir apparent to Dalton who has a couple years left.  Jones gets groomed this year, and they can either give him a 2nd year in 2020 or cut Dalton next year with no much dead cap.
  • Knox is a guy who was a potential first round pick before getting injured in 2018.  Ran a 4.59 40 recently and has great hands.
  • Scharping can step in as the swing tackle right now and take over one side or the other in 1-2 years depending on how he develops.  
  • Jelks is a guy I've hear conflicting things on, but an edge player with some buzz in round 5 is good value..
  • Cashman is a similar LB to Bush, which while a bit redundant, I think redundancy is needed with how injuries have left the Bengals with 0 LB's who can cover recently.
  • Sills flashed potential at WV, not bad value for this late, likely a practice squad player this year
  • Wise could potentially make the roster as an interior pass rusher.  Did not test well at all which is why he's still here at 210, but produced in college.
  • I don't know much about Miller, but I wanted a body at CB for the PS, so took Miller as the top rated available
  • Similar with Pollard, was the highest ranked RB left.

Traded down in the first and picked up a 3rd

17: R1P17

LB DEVIN BUSH
MICHIGAN

QB DANIEL JONES
DUKE

OT TYTUS HOWARD
ALABAMA STATE
95: R3P31

TE DAWSON KNOX
OLE MISS

LB TE'VON CONEY
NOTRE DAME

DL DAYLON MACK
TEXAS A&M

OT MARTEZ IVEY
FLORIDA

S ZEDRICK WOODS
OLE MISS

DL ALBERT HUGGINS
CLEMSON

RB TRAVIS HOMER
MIAMI (FLA.)

WR JOHNNIE DIXON
OHIO ST.

OT TREY PIPKINS
SIOUX FALLS

I have to say, this is one of my favorite fanspeak mocks I've done.  Missed out on my TE targets, but I love rds 1-5.  Rypien can come in as a long term backup and doesn't prevent us from going QB next year if it all falls apart, and maybe gets a chance to show what he's got given Dalton's injury history.  Oliver, Bradbury, and Butler are awesome value and all fill some needs as well.  Butler can start as WR4 this year and have a bigger role next year if we don't resign one of Green or Boyd.  Cashman can be a nickel LB right away with every down upside long term.

DL ED OLIVER
HOUSTON
C GARRETT BRADBURY
NC STATE
WR HAKEEM BUTLER
IOWA STATE
LB BLAKE CASHMAN
MINNESOTA
QB BRETT RYPIEN
BOISE STATE
OT CHUMA EDOGA
USC
EDGE JOHN COMINSKY
CHARLESTON
TE MATT SOKOL
MICHIGAN STATE
CB DAVID LONG
MICHIGAN
RB BRYCE LOVE
STANFORD
LB BEN BURR-KIRVEN
WASHINGTON

36 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Those last 3 picks are fantastic value but won't be available at those spots in the real thing.

Kind of why I didn't bring them up, I was focusing more on the first 5 rounds that I really loved.  I can only take what the incredibly flawed Fanspeak board gives me.  It's crazy how off it can be sometimes though.  I once took Kyler Murray......in round 2.

Tried out the Mock Draft Machine at thedraftnetwork.com, went a different way with the first pick and went with Andre Dillard.  The more I look into Dillard, the more I like him and I think he ends up as the franchise LT that everyone remembers from this draft.  White and Oliver were gone, Haskins was gone, and I passed on Devin Bush for what I think is the franchise LT.  Kick Cordy Glenn to RT and let Hart battle it out with Miller for RG.  Wilson as a plug and play pick at 42, although not sold on his upside.  We had Polite in for a visit, if he's there in rd 3, I think we take him.  Rypien is a good take as a long term backup with upside, and doesn't prevent us from going QB in rd 1 in 2020 either.  Moreau can be the in line TE we need and is good value in rd 5 with some upside.  Either him or Drew Sample i'd love in the rd 4-5 area.  Jennings is a good athlete that I could see winning the battle for WR4 this year and offers upside for the future.  Weber is a value pick in rd 6 who has a path to a roster sport with Walton melting down.  Good all around back that could contribute on special teams too.  Brumfield a big body to compete at G inside, likely a practice squad player in year one.  Sheffield is a former 5 star recruit, so maybe some upside still there, but was a bit underwhelming in 2018.  Christmas was also a touted prospect once upon a time, a solid shot in late round 6.  West is a depth/special teams guy.  Limited upside, but just a good football player.

11. Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State
42. Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama
72. Jachai Polite, DE, Florida
110. Brett Rypien, QB, Boise State
149. Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
183. Gary Jennings Jr, WR, West Virginia
198. Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State
210. Garrett Brumfield, G, LSU
211. Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State
213. Demarcus Christmas, DT, Florida State
223. Darius West, S, Kentucky

While not a mauler, I also wouldn't call Dillard's run blocking weak.  I think he can at least be a NFL average run blocker along with being an elite pass protector.  I have some of the same reservations about Wilson and almost took Cashman in round 2 over him (LB's were going very fast off the board in the few test mocks I did on the MDM), but went with consensus.  Driskel is a terrible backup with no upside.  If we're gunning for a top 3 pick next year if Dalton gets hurt again, then Driskel is your man.

I like the value in your Duke, but there's some holes left ignored.  Only one OT automatically hurts it for me, seeing as we only have Glenn and hart under contract at the moment, unless you think Perkins really improves.  same with LB.  Whether we take Wilson in the second or Bush in the first, I see them as playing WILL for us.  So I have to take a MIKE in there somewhere as well.  If you think Wilson is a MIKE, then we still have an immediate need for a WILL this year, as I have little confidence in Evans and see Jefferson more of a SAM.  Maybe we can grab another LB in the fourth and hope Rypien slips to the fifth.  I think Polite is a steal at that point, but if he's gone, I'm going with Pratt for MIKE or any of the top OLBs for WILL at that spot.

I think the team's plan is to start Vigil at Mike and Preston Brown at Mike and hope both stay healthy. So we'd have Burfict's spot open for a new starter.

If it were up to me, I'd sign Zach Brown or trade for Darron Lee before the draft and look for a MLB to replace Preston. But I doubt the team sees it that way.

I just drafted this team on The Draft Network's simulator. I tried to keep it as realistic as possible and disregarded some prospects who - by my estimation - won't be available at certain draft slots. 

11. Devin Bush [OLB - Michigan]

42. Jachai Polite [EDGE - Florida]

72. Kahale Warring [TE - San Diego St.]

110. Chuma Edoga [OT - USC]

149. Gary Jennings [WR - West Virginia]

183. Cortez Broughton [DL - Cincinnati]

198. Dakota Allen [LB - Texas Tech]

210. Javon Paterrson [IOL - Mississippi St.]

211. Bryce Love [RB - Stanford]

213. Donnie Lewis Jr. [CB - Tulane]

223. Keelan Doss [UC Davis]

The problem with "realistic" is that guys the internet loves fall every year and guys people expect to be in picks 150+ go top 50 every year.  Who had us picking Jesse Bates in rd 2 last year?  Polite is falling because of character concerns and bad interviews, I won't be shocked if he's there in rd 3.

21 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The problem with "realistic" is that guys the internet loves fall every year and guys people expect to be in picks 150+ go top 50 every year.

I don't see how that applies to what I stated. I meant the draft simulator is wildly inaccurate. Their system for "drafting" is completely dependent on need, which is unrealistic because NFL front offices operate on more than that (obviously). I didn't want to take players I didn't think would be available at each draft slot. A handful of players who fall or get "overdrafted" every year doesn't change that for me.

Oliver lasted until 18 to Minnesota. Daniel Jones was on the board at 42. Ben Burr-Kirven and Terrill Hanks were on the board at the end of the 6th. There were countless others I don't see happening. That's all I was getting at.

26 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Polite is falling because of character concerns and bad interviews, I won't be shocked if he's there in rd 3.

That's perfectly fine. I can see that happening as well. We took Mixon in the 2nd, and I could see us taking Polite there too. 

OT ANDRE DILLARD
WASHINGTON STATE
DL JEFFERY SIMMONS
MISSISSIPPI STATE
LB BLAKE CASHMAN
MINNESOTA
WR MECOLE HARDEMAN
GEORGIA
QB BRETT RYPIEN
BOISE STATE
TE FOSTER MOREAU
LSU
OT MITCH HYATT
CLEMSON
EDGE JOHN COMINSKY
CHARLESTON
CB HAMP CHEEVERS
BOSTON COLLEGE
S MIKE EDWARDS
KENTUCKY
RB TONY POLLARD
MEMPHIS

• I'm higher on Dillard than most on this site, and with Haskins, Oliver, and White gone I got for the franchise LT.  Start the year off with Glenn and Hart, but when Glenn inevitably gets hurt or Hart inevitably sucks, you slide in Dillard and leave him there the next 12 years.  Isn't a dominator in the run game, but this is a passing league.
  • Simmons is a value play.  He's likely an IR guy rookie year, but is a top 15 talent in this draft.  Geno is getting older and while it doesn't help this year much, the future of the DL will be built around Simmons.
  • Cashman fills the need of a coverage LB, but also has upside to be a very good every down LB with a little seasoning.  His role in the nickel and on special teams give good instant value
  • Hardeman is very raw, but his athleticism is off the charts.  Instant value as a return man and can work in as WR4 or WR5 now out of the slot with future upside.  Should work him like KC does Tyreke Hill.
  • Rypien is drafted as a long term backup with some upside.  Is an upgrade from Driskel and won't prevent the Bengals from grabbing a QB in 2020.
  • Moreau falls to this spot to be our in line TE with receiving upside.
  • Hyatt was known as Mr Dependable at Clemson.  Can backup every OL spot except C.
  • Cominsky is a small school upside pick at edge.  Likely PS member year one but he has some athletic upside.
  • Cheevers is short, but has crazy long arms and good ball skills.  Good value here to come in and compete.
  • Edwards is a local guy who played at UK and had a nice year.  Good guy to have on the PS or maybe he surprises.
  • Pollard is a late round guy that Goodberry likes.  Thought about taking Mike Weber over Rypien in rd 5, but I figured QB2 was a bigger need than RB3.