Bears re-sign LB Aaron Lynch (One-year deal)

RaidersAreOne

Eliminates the need to prioritize an OLB/Edge guy in the draft.

Lynch is only 26 and on another one year "motivator" deal for a multi-year contract.  Brings consistent pressure off the edge and plays the run well.

29 minutes ago, soulman said:

Lynch is only 26 and on another one year "motivator" deal for a multi-year contract.  Brings consistent pressure off the edge and plays the run well.

He will never get a multi-year deal with guaranteed money in the NFL.

The guy has been a liability for his whole career, its why he fell in the draft. Hes a really good situational player who always seems to produce when given reps, but the guy gained 30 lbs in one offseason when his wife got pregnant and he would sympathy eat with her. Seriously lol

I thought the Raiders would sign him, honestly

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I respectfully disagree. EDGE is still a huge question long-term, Lynch is JAG and absolutely nothing special to me. I still am concerned that Floyd will be looking for a bigger contract than he is worth, as we saw several guys that are not elite get massively overpaid in the last few offseasons, and that causes him to refuse the deal(s) Pace offers. Pace could try the transition tag like he did with Fuller, but I wouldn't expect the Bears to be as lucky as we were with the deals he was offered.

EDGE is still my top priority, followed by HB and CB. Granted, if you really think a CB or HB will be special then get them over the list of EDGE players that you think are complimentary pieces, but still. Plus I am biased, as I want an OT in every draft to try and develop and I hope for an EDGE or CB each draft too.

57 minutes ago, N4L said:

He will never get a multi-year deal with guaranteed money in the NFL.

The guy has been a liability for his whole career, its why he fell in the draft. Hes a really good situational player who always seems to produce when given reps, but the guy gained 30 lbs in one offseason when his wife got pregnant and he would sympathy eat with her. Seriously lol

I thought the Raiders would sign him, honestly

Aw.....never say never.

He didn't produce like he did his first two years in the league but last season he was a fairly valued piece in the OLB rotation.  He just needs to keep himself in shape and on the field for 16 games is all.  No place better to earn a shot at one than where he is now.

40 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think they take a step back. Losing Fangio and some of that personnel is going to be a bigger loss than Bear fans care to admit.

You came all this way to tell us that? 

WOW.....how can we ever thank you?  a_takethatfoo.gif

20 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I respectfully disagree. EDGE is still a huge question long-term, Lynch is JAG and absolutely nothing special to me. I still am concerned that Floyd will be looking for a bigger contract than he is worth, as we saw several guys that are not elite get massively overpaid in the last few offseasons, and that causes him to refuse the deal(s) Pace offers. Pace could try the transition tag like he did with Fuller, but I wouldn't expect the Bears to be as lucky as we were with the deals he was offered.

EDGE is still my top priority, followed by HB and CB. Granted, if you really think a CB or HB will be special then get them over the list of EDGE players that you think are complimentary pieces, but still. Plus I am biased, as I want an OT in every draft to try and develop and I hope for an EDGE or CB each draft too.

Well let's examine that.

If it was possible to pull off that wild trade for a 2019 2nd and take a kid like Winovich that would be good.  But it's a big if.  So if if turns into if not we've still filled a spot that needed filling with an experienced vet whose proven to have some value for us and who knows the defense.  It's HIGHLY unlikely we would find better at pick #87 and later but if a kid with upside we can develop drops Pace may take him even though he won't help much in 2019 if at all.

Conversely we have two 2nd round picks in 2020 one of which could be used on an OLB/Edge and we stand a much better chance of getting a guy who can come in and play immediately. Pace seems to have a magic touch for finding very good players in round two.  By then we should also have extended Floyd provided it's what Pace and Laine plan to do and so far it seems likely provided the price is right.  But we're not gonna know 'til it comes time to talk.

True, Lynch is just a guy, but he fills a role for now that will keep Pace in his BPA mode come the draft.

18 minutes ago, soulman said:

Aw.....never say never.

He didn't produce like he did his first two years in the league but last season he was a fairly valued piece in the OLB rotation.  He just needs to keep himself in shape and on the field for 16 games is all.  No place better to earn a shot at one than where he is now.

No team in their right mind would ever give this guy a multi-year guaranteed deal when he has motivation issues. Every year he comes into camp over weight. Every year. 

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

No team in their right mind would ever give this guy a multi-year guaranteed deal when he has motivation issues. Every year he comes into camp over weight. Every year. 

Depends on the guaranteed money.

His previous deal with the Bears only guaranteed $1.25 mil of a $4 mil deal and $500k of that $4 mil was in per game roster bonuses.

I'm not saying it's likely only that never isn't a word I typically apply to NFL deals or I would have said the Bears will never pay Kahlil Mack what they are.

So let's just say Lynch would have to have one hell of a year in 2019 for it to happen and even then no one is gonna give him a huge signing bonus.

Archived