Bears re-sign LB Aaron Lynch (One-year deal)

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, N4L said:

No team in their right mind would ever give this guy a multi-year guaranteed deal when he has motivation issues. Every year he comes into camp over weight. Every year. 

The Bears didn’t have any issues with him last season, other than a rolled ankle in OTAs.

The dislocated elbow was unfortunate, but hardly a conditioning injury.

14 hours ago, soulman said:

Well let's examine that.

If it was possible to pull off that wild trade for a 2019 2nd and take a kid like Winovich that would be good.  But it's a big if.  So if if turns into if not we've still filled a spot that needed filling with an experienced vet whose proven to have some value for us and who knows the defense.  It's HIGHLY unlikely we would find better at pick #87 and later but if a kid with upside we can develop drops Pace may take him even though he won't help much in 2019 if at all.

Conversely we have two 2nd round picks in 2020 one of which could be used on an OLB/Edge and we stand a much better chance of getting a guy who can come in and play immediately. Pace seems to have a magic touch for finding very good players in round two.  By then we should also have extended Floyd provided it's what Pace and Laine plan to do and so far it seems likely provided the price is right.  But we're not gonna know 'til it comes time to talk.

True, Lynch is just a guy, but he fills a role for now that will keep Pace in his BPA mode come the draft.

I want an EDGE this year because it is rare for them to step in as rookies and be solid (especially if they're not 1st/high 2nd rounders), I feel EDGE and CB have some of the hardest transitions to the pros from college. Getting a year to develop would allow us to have them in a better spot to challenge for the starting role or have a higher upside #3 if we retain Floyd. In the 3rd you're most likely able to get a guy with pretty high upside but is raw or has dominated lesser competition. This is the perfect year to add that guy in the 3rd or 4th if available, since we have Lynch as the #3. I'm also not against trading up for Winovich or someone either if Pace is really high on them. I loved the move for Miller.

17 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think they take a step back. Losing Fangio and some of that personnel is going to be a bigger loss than Bear fans care to admit.

Fangio maybe, but they got a pretty damn good replacement in Chuck Pagano who oversaw a dominant defense in Baltimore a few years back and was on the same staff as Fangio.

What personnel do you speak of?  They lost Amos, Callahan, Bellamy and Howard.  Can't tell me those 4 guys are going to move the needle a whole lot.

I think it's wishful thinking on your part that the Bears take a step back since the Raiders own the Bears 1st rounder again in 2020.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I want an EDGE this year because it is rare for them to step in as rookies and be solid (especially if they're not 1st/high 2nd rounders), I feel EDGE and CB have some of the hardest transitions to the pros from college. Getting a year to develop would allow us to have them in a better spot to challenge for the starting role or have a higher upside #3 if we retain Floyd. In the 3rd you're most likely able to get a guy with pretty high upside but is raw or has dominated lesser competition. This is the perfect year to add that guy in the 3rd or 4th if available, since we have Lynch as the #3. I'm also not against trading up for Winovich or someone either if Pace is really high on them. I loved the move for Miller.

Yeah I agree with all of that and it would not shock me at all if Pace drafted an OLB and even took a shot at an UDFA or two.

My point was only that signing Lynch takes the imperative of trying to fill that #3 role with Irving, Fitts, or an unproven rookie away.

I'd take edge guys as often as I could find those with any possibility of succeeding in the NFL but also pointed out with two 2nds in 2020 we stand a better chance of getting a guy who can contribute as a rookie or we consider moving up for that guy this year giving him a season to take over gradually.

55 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Fangio maybe, but they got a pretty damn good replacement in Chuck Pagano who oversaw a dominant defense in Baltimore a few years back and was on the same staff as Fangio.

What personnel do you speak of?  They lost Amos, Callahan, Bellamy and Howard.  Can't tell me those 4 guys are going to move the needle a whole lot.

I think it's wishful thinking on your part that the Bears take a step back since the Raiders own the Bears 1st rounder again in 2020.

Bear fans were pimping Amos and Callahan as some of the best S's and slot CB's this entire season, and now losing them both won't hurt you guys? Hard to believe.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If we do take a step back I would attribute it more to a tougher schedule and/or injuries to key players.

Losing Fangio will have some impact but Pagano is also a very good coach.

Amos and Callahan have been replaced with players who are very capable of being their equals.  In fact I'd call a highly motivated HHCD an upgrade.

Howard's production and scoring need to be replaced but I think Davis already takes on a big chunk of that.

Bellamy is not a huge loss at all.

So three starters out of 22 lost vs retaining most of our FAs and quickly replacing those three with first wave signings?  I'm good with that.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Bear fans were pimping Amos and Callahan as some of the best S's and slot CB's this entire season, and now losing them both won't hurt you guys? Hard to believe.

Callahan is one of the better Slot CBs in the NFL but typically misses 3-4 games a year with injuries.  In addition to that he's still not 100% recovered from his last one and will likely be absent from early OTAs.  Pace simply wasn't willing to gamble on his health any longer and Denver got a good CB provided he can stay on the field.  Your Raiders will see him this year and you can decide for yourself.

Amos was the low man on the totem pole in the secondary.  He's dependable but not a great coverage guy.  In fact he's average at the very best.  We would have liked to have kept him but GB was willing to pay him $21 mil over the first two years of his deal, $10.5 aav.  We weren't even close to that. I'm fine with his replacement for $3.5 mil on a one year deal.  HHCD is a much better coverage Safety.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Bears fans were or PFF was?

Any logical Bears fan will tell you that Amos was just an average to solid player.  Really dependable guy in terms of tackling and playing a physical brand of football, but almost next to no turnovers generated from him in his first 4 years (Just 6 in 60 games played).  HaHa should be able to replace him just fine.

As for Callahan, he's one of the better nickels in the NFL when healthy, but he has missed a combined 19 games over 4 NFL seasons, so Bears have already had to make due without him in the lineup a lot.  Buster Skrine was signed to take his place, so we shouldn't see too big of a drop off here.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1