Bears resign OLB Aaron Lynch

Madmike90

Meh.  They needed another someone and weren't going to leave it to uncertainties of draft or tie their hands with needing to draft an edge.  

A guy who doesn't hurt you or help you that much.  

Irving and Lynch were first off bench last year, but I hold out hope that Fitts development surpasses them this year.  To me he seems more talented than those two.  Not high praise because I dont see those two as very talented. 

I think its tough in NFL to break into a spot because there is so little live work once season starts.  If you havent made your case by end of camp you are buried unless an injury(s) gets you in.   

I think Nichols forced their hand because in early games he seemingly made a big play every game rep he was given.  Otherwise he probably wouldn't have seen field much either.  That's what you have to do to break in as a non high pick rookie.  Not easy to make splash plays in limited reps.  Especially hard to gain playing time with Fangio who doesn't trust rookies. 

Why Nichols and Tolliver were so impressive to me that they gained playing time with Fangio despite being unheralded  low picks.  At positions where Bears are good no less.  Besides my own own eyes, this tells me those two are above average NFL football players.  

Edge is really tough position to find.  Hope Fitts takes a step this year. 

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would say looking more and more like BPA.

I think the obvious need is RB.

You can read some of these signings as setting themselves up to be aggressive as really the only spots there is a serious need is RB and K.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

I think unless he becomes a total bust due to injuries or simply not ascending he'll get his shot but I wouldn't hesitate to add more rookie competition for him and Irving.  We're still gonna have a couple of OLBs on the PS in addition to whoever makes the 53 man roster.

I'm also curious to see the terms of Lynch's deal.  That would tell us how secure his spot is.

He is making the team. He was good last year. This was an important re-signing because he produced a ton compared to his snap count.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Every team preaches it, next to no teams do it

I think Pace works harder to that goal than most.  I think after his first two drafts he has been trying harder and harder to make that a reality and largely succeeding.

You can predict his FA moves by need now.  Maybe not who he signs, but the positions.  He does this so he feels free(er) in draft.   

Other GMs plan to plug holes via draft so you can predict their picks via need.  

I say that though this year I think many of us suspect a TE, RB and S will be drafted this year.  Part of that is due to depth of draft class at those positions, but part of it may be driven by need.  If so will that be BPA or need? I don't know. You can argue either way. 

I think his mental goal is to go for home runs regardless of position with most of his picks.  I think he can't help but take some based on positional need now and near future. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

He is making the team. He was good last year. This was an important re-signing because he produced a ton compared to his snap count.

If Lynch provides equal or a bit more production count me in as a happy camper.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I'm not actually doubting it only hypothesizing.  And I agree.  His production based on roughly 33% of the defensive snaps was as good as anything I expected from him.  I prefer bringing him back to the other options we may have had.  He just had to shop himself first is all.  Makes sense.

58 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Very few teams are in a position to tho...we just might be.

We're absolutely  in position to draft bpa ..   some teams do draft bpa, Ravens and Pats come to mind and Pace is  bpa mostly. That said,  I believe  Pace will move up to take  his choice at RB ...

Bears are going to live off 2017 and 2018 draft for years to come.  

In 2018 Bears had 4 rookies that were significant starters meaning not just starters, but players that made plays.   Tolliver started during injury and got playing time and is a likely future starter.

Wims looks to be a future regular contributor at WR.  

Fitts and Iggy may or may not be players, but they can play special teams and are athletic. 

Smith and Daniels look like they will be two of best in entire league at their positions.  That by itself would be huge.  

That is a one heck of a draft.  Historic.  

In 2017 they drafted 2 pro bowlers and a pro bowl alternate AND one of those was a QB.  They may or may not have got a good TE.  Jury still out.

That is also a heck of a draft.

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bears are going to live off 2017 and 2018 draft for years to come.  

In 2018 Bears had 4 rookies that were significant starters meaning not just starters, but players that made plays.   Tolliver started during injury and got playing time and is a likely future starter.

Wims looks to be a future regular contributor at WR.  

Fitts and Iggy may or may not be players, but they can play special teams and are athletic. 

Smith and Daniels look like they will be two of best in entire league at their positions.  That by itself would be huge.  

That is a one heck of a draft.  Historic.  

In 2017 they drafted 2 pro bowlers and a pro bowl alternate AND one of those was a QB.  They may or may not have got a good TE.  Jury still out.

That is also a heck of a draft.

This is why I'm not worried at all about needs we do have.

Even without a 2nd where he seems to always score big he still finds good football players throughout the middle rounds and as UDFAs.

Good read kinda sums up what we've been saying......

Aaron Lynch signing gives Chicago Bears draft flexibility

The Aaron Lynch signing was not flashy, but it certainly was needed. One thing that I have noted recently doing mock drafts is that it was impossible to get past round four without a depth edge rusher.

With Leonard Floyd entering a contract year, and Kylie Fitts and Isaiah Irving as the only listed depth, the position was really lacking. All of a sudden you were forcing players, or passing on potential studs at other positions because you could not go any longer without filling that void. And if you did, it led to more reaching.

The Chicago Bears were not going to reach if someone was not there. That is what their free agency period was all about. They filled all of the holes they lost, and while they still have some longterm needs, they can go best player available throughout the draft.

The team lost Jordan Howard, but not only added Mike Davis, but the underrated Cordarelle Patterson. They lost Bryce Callahan, but Matt Nagy is talking as if they upgraded in the slot. Speaking of an upgrade, fans are crying an upgrade at least in the dollar-per-dollar play of HaHa Clinton-Dix compared to Adrian Amos.

Bryan Witzmann and Eric Kush step out and Ted Larsen steps in. Heck, they even signed two kickers.

This does not change anything. Running back, slot cornerback, kicker, safety and interior line remain needs. There just are not any of these sticking out as pressing over the others.

The Aaron Lynch signing was smart for a variety of reasons, mainly because he is likely going to contribute next year. However, an underlying addition of Lynch is solidifying the depth and taking away any biased based drafting because of needs.

4 hours ago, SLCbear said:

We're absolutely  in position to draft bpa ..   some teams do draft bpa, Ravens and Pats come to mind and Pace is  bpa mostly. That said,  I believe  Pace will move up to take  his choice at RB ...

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, soulman said:

This is why I'm not worried at all about needs we do have.

Even without a 2nd where he seems to always score big he still finds good football players throughout the middle rounds and as UDFAs.

Off topic--what is your new avatar? I'm not placing it...

Archived